The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2g pistons in 1g nt block

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfsr_b20

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 17, 2008
los angeles, California
Im planning on putting the 2g pistons into my 1g nt block. Will i have any problems doing this. Will they last me. Im only running a 16g turbo. Thanks

Yeah they should be safer thats why im putting them in. But will there be any problem fitting them. Because the guy that is getting them for me said that they didnt fit. I dont know if he said that because he didnt want to get them for me or if they really dont fit. Because ive heard of people putting them in 1g rods all the time. But i want know if the n/t rods are the same. Thanks.

It,s just a 4g63 with no oil squirters. Thats what the n/a 6 bolts are. 2g pistons will fit any 6 bolt or 7 bolt dsm. BUT! to put them on 1g rods you need to have the rods machined to accept the larger wrist pins of a 2g piston.

However, I would want a turbo block with oil squirters or get them put it because the stock internals are not as tough as forged internals when it comes to heat. A eagle/weisco ro whatever combo can take that heat no problem.

But thats just me, you can do it and many have with no problems. Just be careful and smart and you should be good for awhile.

also i wouldnt use the n/t rods. get a set of 1g turbo rods, have them machined for the 2g pistons and boost away.

Non-turbo 6-bolt and turbo 1g 6-bolt rods are the same; they can be used with no problems interchangeably.

The same can be said for the 1G 7-bolt rods, non-turbo and turbo.

1g big rods are forged, they just aren't as strong as say eagle rods. They are a beefy rod for being stock no doubt. I am running a 1g/2g combo and I plan on putting 420 to the wheels by next summer.

Aftermarket rods can handle the absence of oil squirters but stock stuff just won't like it and most likely won't last as long. A friend has done a few n/a turbos and said he had good results up to about 320hp and then things wore out quickly.

Nor are 6-bolt rods forged. They are wider and thicker at the webbing and both ends of the "I" are thicker and wider. Also, 6bolt rods have much stronger rod bolts.

As well, many have used n/t blocks (no oil squirters) with stock rods/turbo pistons and had great results far past 320whp. It's the n/t pistons that like to crack ring lands at that level with the slightest detonation.

Here is the information you need to give to a machinist.

Going from 1g to 2g piston shouldnt be any problem. 1g pistons are lower comp ratio than the 2g ones. ( i believe 1g are 7.8:1 and the 2g are 8.5:1- this may even make some more tourque in your engine ) The only thing i would do is buy a set of eagle rods. They are fairly inexpencive and they will make a big difference if you plan on going a little bigger in your turbo or boost selection. If you are going to be taking the head off and the oil pan ect... you should just do the good stuff in one shot. ( no sence in doing a job twice down the road. )

As for the oilers, i dont rember who said anything about them but this is what they are for. If you look at the angle that they squirt they do not lubricate anything in the engine. They are ment for cooling. When I built my engine with all forged internals they recomended me to remove them and block them off. ( this being in the 7 bolt motor only - they take oil away from the main bearings, they are much smaller oilers than the 6bolt block, and many people do not even know they exist. ) They however do NOT say to remove them in the 6bolt motors!

Good luck with your piston install, and make sure to re-hone your block before installing the new pistions- allow those rings a chance to seat right in your block. :thumb:

Yep^^

And, if oil squirters are not needed for a 7bolt motor with forged pistons, then the same applies to a 6-bolt. The question is of oil vs. no oil. If a forged piston needs no oil to cool it, then it needs no oil to cool it; no matter what crank is under it.

Stock 6-bolt rods are good for 500ish whp. Why spend over $300 when this guy has 50-trim/hx35/20g worthy rods in hand and he's running a 16g??? The 2g pistons can crack at about the same time the 6-bolt rods can fail. If anything, he should do the other way around and install forged pistons since the manufacturer states that the squirters are not neccesary. But those would be over $400. $300 for rods would buy a great water injection kit or better tuning than an safc.

You're using a 1g turbo ecu, right? One thing to note is that some have had issues tuning with 1g timing maps using 2g pistons. Especially using an safc/maft or other ecu fooling device. You can always bump back base timing a little. The higher compression will make up the difference in power vs. 1g turbo pistons with stock 1g base timing.

Yes i am using a 1g turbo ecu. I will be tuning with an safc and a maft. unless its recomended to do otherwise. What will be the most boost i will be able to run on this setup. thanks.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back