The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2g MAS on N/T 1G

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atekk_90RS

Probationary Member
Feb 27, 2004
Selma, California
ok i have seen that the 2g MAS easily wires up to a turbo 1G...but what about the non turbo 1G.....and would it help improve airflow? or just create problems that would require bigger injectors?...so who knows how i can wire this baby up to a non turbo 1G :laser:

i was wondering the same thing. being that when i put my intake on i knoticed absolutly no increase in power like it did on other cars i had. i dont like sucking air thru 2 holes the size of a quarter! i asked before but didnt get a good answer. and i cant seem to find my topic thru searching

they have a gm maf sensor for the n/t. its on punishments n/t site ;)
:laser: Cory :laser:

Damn 2nd Gear said:
i was wondering the same thing. being that when i put my intake on i knoticed absolutly no increase in power like it did on other cars i had. i dont like sucking air thru 2 holes the size of a quarter! i asked before but didnt get a good answer. and i cant seem to find my topic thru searching[/QUOTE

I went through the same thing. i got a 1g 4g63 and want a cold air intake instead of a ram air. the big ass maf sensor on 1g's are too big to go behind the fender wall. the 2g's have a different maf that is not directly connected to the air filter. so now it is able to use cold air intake systems similar to the 2g cai. to switch maf you basicly have to cut the wires to the connecter match them to the new connector and re-connect. that simple, sort of like switching harnesses on your car stereo. the 2g maf allows more air flow also. so no you don't have to spend 300 on a gm maf. jus find a 2g maf from a junkyard or anyone selling parts. may end up costing 10-100 depending on the person or place you buy it from.

Correct me if I am wrong but dont the 1g n/t have only 6 wires going to the mas but the turbo mas has 7. Im not familiar with the n/t so I cant tell you if it will work or not.

92awddsm said:
Correct me if I am wrong but dont the 1g n/t have only 6 wires going to the mas but the turbo mas has 7. Im not familiar with the n/t so I cant tell you if it will work or not.

True but that seventh wire goes right to the ECU, in which the n/t ECU doesn't support. The other six wires are the exact same as the 1G and 2G turbos. Why doesn't somone try it out?

any pics of what the 2nd gen maf looks like compaired to the 1st gen. also would i haveto do anythihg to my fuel?

Damn 2nd Gear said:
330$ is a bit much tho, id like to see some dyno#'s on that part.

but it comes with an intake, an air filter, and all the couplers and harware, so it aint that bad. But yea, i think dynos would be good.

Oh but you need to buy the gm mas and thats around 140, so comes out to about 470, but i guess its alright seeing as tho you get your full intake taken care of, and you get tuning capabilies, but still, im not sure if id buy it.

well 99% of us dont need couplers or the piping or thie filter for that matter. i think that if they bundled the GM maf WITH the translator theey would sell better. id be basically buying a translator and gm maft for 470+ tax and shipping and throwing the rest in the garbage/giving it away. i see turbo guys getting the whole setup for around 200-250.

here is a 3inch GM mas for 20$ they average upto 60$
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=7915303025&category=33557&sspagename=WDVW

MAFT translators go for about 200$
http://www.ramchargers.com/RamNews/Translator/LS1tranlator_manual.htm

so ther you have it 220$ all off ebay. plus you use the stuff you already have. so anyone know how the translator was modified to work with our N/A cars? im wondering if an unmodified one would work.

92awddsm said:

winner. 2g mas wont work. we can not support the 7th wire. i forget what it does but i knwo it doesnt work because i almost did it.

the sensor modified to our n/t cars is also tuned you guys. os it drops right in and goes. and that sensor on ebay is used mostlikely and wont last as logn as a new one. they did the wiring and all to make it fit to the n/t cars. it isnt that price for no reason. there nto tryign to make a killing. the work they put into tunig one of those and all it probably balances itself out.

give em a little credit guys, they paid attention to us n/a guys for once. id pay it just for that reason alone

it is a good idea and id like to get one. but id ony get one if i could buy just the translator. i already spent money on my intake plus i have a k&n filter, the one that they send you looks like one of them APC filters from autozone. id gladly spend 200-250 for just the translator, then get a GM maft for 20-60$ off ebay. i just dont see the point in buying the same thing twice (intake plumbing). its a good package for people who do not have intake piping at the moment tho. im thinking of sending an email to them to ask if they are/would make a seperate package for people who have intake already.

They're pretty responsive to emails. They sent me the filter and coupler without the plumbing since I already had the plumbing. It didn't cost me $330. Shoot them an email. Like I've been saying, it's well worth it.

na90dsm said:
winner. 2g mas wont work. we can not support the 7th wire. i forget what it does but i knwo it doesnt work because i almost did it.
There are alot of 1G non turbo 4G63 cars running the 2G maf and MAFT set-up. :)
do alittle research at clubDSM.com.
Ken

why would they anyway. its pointless. if i had to get a new mass or mod mine id go translator dude. its more expensive but its so much better and smaller.

and that 7th wire i forget what it does i knwo for a fact we cant support it. you have to make a custom harness liek the turbo guys and are setup is totally different. ima check it out and see what they did to make it work

You are right about the 7th wire... the 1G non turbo will not suport it.. but it isn't needed.
it can be done and is much better than a modded 1G mas and even better than a Al Blah 1G mas. but not as good as running the GM mas with a traslator. :)
Ken

i agree the GM MAFT is definatly better than the 2g setup....however us non turbo guys wouldnt really benifit from it as much as a turbo guy could, there is alot of air to fuel tuning involved in getting a turbo running at its sweet spot.....not to mention boost level tuning.........us non turbo guys cant really benifit from this type of tuning capabilitys.....a used set of stock turbo injectors (450cc i think) plus a 2g MAS or maybe a turbo 1g MAS wired to fit a non turbo should be plenty (the stock 1g turbo MAS would require little or no modification plus stock turbo dsm injectors will work without additional tuning if i am correct) now if anyone is interested i know of a really inexpensive mod that will alow a high flow filter and a cold air intake tube....and with a spare stock air can u can easily switch it out come time for the california smog nazis to check your ride...email me at [email protected] for details :laser:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back