The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

ECMlink 2G Inconsistent AFR

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttravis88t

Proven Member
Jul 25, 2021
Jacksonville, Florida
Hello, so my car (1997 eclipse 7bolt) is tuned with DSMlink and has a wideband 02 sensor from where I can view the AFR. Pretty much since I’ve gotten the car it’s always been quite inconsistent with the AFR. (Yes it is tuned as has been many times since I’ve bought it) For example, it’ll start up fine, around 14.7 and from there sometimes it’ll get very rich (low 13s) or sometimes very VERY lean (high 16s, sometimes even in the 17s or 18s). Same when I’m driving, cruising the AFR is sometimes between 15-15.5 and other times it’s in the high 16s and low 17s. Though under boost it does richen up nicely as it should.

Any clue what’s causing this? I have a new MAF, Both new coil packs, new spark plugs, to name a few.
Any help is very appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Does Link's reading match up with what the gauge is saying?
My tuner had me make sure that my gauge was grounded to the same point that the ECU was grounded to make them read the same.

I’m not sure I don’t tune the car, I have a shop that does it. I would assume so since I’ve been given it back quite a few times like this.

are you concerned that AFR bounces under cruise conditions?
If so that's what AFR does. Ever watch the stock narrowband on a log? It just cycles up and down constantly unless you go WOT.

As mentioned, a certain amount of variation is completely normal during normal driving or idling when the car is in closed loop operation, they do this stock and all cars do, your wideband is measuring a chemical reaction, its not perfect and as long as it does not go lean under a load then its probably nothing to worry about, engines dont blow up at idle or cruise from being lean as I have told others before, like they said post up a datalog of it acting up so others can see whether its normal or cause for concern.

Honestly sounds like you need a new tuner. If you paid for a tune and your car leaves driving like that, your tuner doesn’t care about your car running how it should. Before I started tuning myself, my tuner would not only tune my car but tell me if something wasn’t right. He would work through it on the dyno and try his best to make it leave running right.

Like others have said, post a log and let us begin this journey.

are you concerned that AFR bounces under cruise conditions?
If so that's what AFR does. Ever watch the stock narrowband on a log? It just cycles up and down constantly unless you go WOT.
Oh I didn’t know that. Good to know. Though it still is very lean under cruise most of the time isn’t the ECU targeting around 14.7? And even at idle it bounces around way to much sometimes low 13s sometimes high 17s. I can tell it’s not the wideband acting up because I can hear the car getting choppy

As we tell every one with DSMLink, post a log of it misbehaving. And you should create a profile for this car so we know what's all in it.

Ok sorry for sound like a newbie (honestly I am to tuning) but how do I even access this shit😂?

I agree with @Boomdeeze I think I the guy I have tuning my car isn’t doing a great job.

Anyway, I have the adapter for a laptop to hook up (guy sold car to me with it) but I don’t have the DSMLink program or anything nor do I know how to access a “log” but if you’ll all be patient with me I’d love to learn! (Btw already have done a boost leak test, no leaks there)

Sure I’ll go do that now sorry I’ve never gotten around to it

Last edited by a moderator:
Click on the download that is for your computer (windows, mac, etc).
The program should load up then you connect the cord to the computer via USB cable and the other end of the cable goes to the OBD port. You can then log your car by turning the key on and telling your computer ECMLink program to "connect".
Sorry, Steve beat me to it.
Thanks Steve! :thumb:

Click on the download that is for your computer (windows, mac, etc).
The program should load up then you connect the cord to the computer via USB cable and the other end of the cable goes to the OBD port. You can then log your car by turning the key on and telling your computer ECMLink program to "connect".
Sorry, Steve beat me to it.
Thanks Steve! :thumb:
Thanks man! I’m currently at work and will be for the next few days but when I get some free time I’ll hook on up and see if I can find out how to post a log. I’ll be back with you gents soon. Thanks guys

Ok everyone, im all connected and ready to go. I assume to i need to use capture in the program and upload all of that here?

Alright, I think I've found the culprit. I was running a log for hot idle, cruising, and WOT just for a baseline and a few seconds after the WOT pull the CEL came on, the codes are 0100, (volume airflow circuit malfunction) and 0105 (barometric circuit pressure malfunction). The MAF on this car was changed a few weeks ago because the old one cracked, so I (being the cheap ass that I am) bought some cheap aftermarket one from carparts.com and I would assume this and the fact I didnt have this new sensor calibrated (which I would guess is something you must do) is what is causing my problems. Im going to try and figure out how to upload a log later (currently typing this on my phone) anyone know what MAF i should be using instead?

We dont calibrate the maf sensors on these cars. Your problem with the maf is either a connection problem or a junk maf or simply the wrong part for the car.

Thank you. Ordered one. @motomattx said we don’t calibrate our MAS? I’ve heard of many other people discussing it before. To clarify I have a 2g
There is nothing on the maf to calibrate it with, some aftermarket ecu setups allow you to play with what the output of the maf means to your fuel map, but unless you have a reason to mess with it, then there would be no reason to manipulate it.

Thank you. Ordered one. @motomattx said we don’t calibrate our MAS? I’ve heard of many other people discussing it before. To clarify I have a 2g
If you have specific references I'd like to see it. I will go edit those threads.
You do not calibrate anything.
In dsmlink you do have to tell it which maf you have as they did have provide the ability to use something other than a stock maf but I wouldn't call that " calibrating".

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back