The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G 2G Hood Struts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I’m not sure about those as I have no knowledge. But I did find a kit for sale. https://www.ebay.com/itm/264825415504
I saw the kits for sale but if I could do it your way for half the cost and an oem brand, I'd rather go that route as well. I may just take my chances and do it your way. If it works, I'll post an update for others as well to your thread so it will answer that question.

I just bought and installed these exact ones a couple months ago. They looked nice sitting in the packaging, but when I opened them it looked like the cylinders were already leaking. I installed them anyway though. One other thing to note is that I usually have a Milwaukee under hood work light attached to my hood, and these struts were too weak to hold the hood up with the light at the top. I have to move the light about half way down, so it doesn't weigh the hood down as much and collapse the struts. I'm not sure if they're just that weak or if they really did leak, either way they work perfect for just the hood, and it seems like there is so much more room to work now.

I just bought and installed these exact ones a couple months ago. They looked nice sitting in the packaging, but when I opened them it looked like the cylinders were already leaking. I installed them anyway though. One other thing to note is that I usually have a Milwaukee under hood work light attached to my hood, and these struts were too weak to hold the hood up with the light at the top. I have to move the light about half way down, so it doesn't weigh the hood down as much and collapse the struts. I'm not sure if they're just that weak or if they really did leak, either way they work perfect for just the hood, and it seems like there is so much more room to work now.
I recommend the struts I linked above. They are for a Chrysler 300 which has a heavier hood than DSMs. I did only 1 at first and it honestly worked fine, but I put both on anyway to have absolutely no chance of an issue. Plus they're much cheaper than getting the kits

Installing a leaky hood strut and then complaining it doesn't do its job sounds a little quacked to me. I`m sorry if this offends you . You should have returned them ..
Everyone says " I love my pride and joy and then cheap out on the parts to keep it running..
FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE ......... https://www.redlinetuning.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=Mitsubishi

I bought the same set from Ebay. Neither of mine were leaking when I opened the packaging. And they're beyond strong enough to hold the hood open. All I have to do is pull the latch and let go and they'll fully open the hood for me. I could hang multiple lights on the hood and it would stay open. It actually takes a bit of force to close the hood. I would see if the seller could at least send just the shocks to you. But it may be too late at this point. The good news is that buying the shocks separately are pretty cheap. Just measure how long they are at full extension and buy a set from somewhere else. And still use the hardware from the kit.

Installing a leaky hood strut and then complaining it doesn't do its job sounds a little quacked to me. I`m sorry if this offends you . You should have returned them ..
Everyone says " I love my pride and joy and then cheap out on the parts to keep it running..
FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE ......... https://www.redlinetuning.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=Mitsubishi
I wasn't trying to complain, I was just trying tell my experience, and no offense taken. I should have probably returned them, but they still did their job of holding the hood up, just not the hood and a light too well. I would have gone with these https://www.redlinetuning.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=Mitsubishi , but I personally didn't like how they installed.

I just installed a set on my 2g.

Chrysler 300 hood struts:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

then I ordered 2 sets of these 10mm m6 ball studs:

Worked perfectly for me
I used this method as well and mine work great. Been about 4 years now I want to say.

I just installed a set on my 2g.

Chrysler 300 hood struts:

then I ordered 2 sets of these 10mm m6 ball studs:

Worked perfectly for me
Please can you clarify which exact year 300C these struts are from? And just to make sure, all that's needed is a set of these struts + 2 balljoint bolts? Thanks.

Please can you clarify which exact year 300C these struts are from? And just to make sure, all that's needed is a set of these struts + 2 balljoint bolts? Thanks.
Click the links I posted.

They're 2005-2010 Chrysler 300.
And 2 SETS of ball studs. 4 ball studs in total.
Those links are the exact things that I ordered and are installed on my 2g.
My other replies explain how I attached them.

Click the links I posted.

They're 2005-2010 Chrysler 300.
And 2 SETS of ball studs. 4 ball studs in total.
Those links are the exact things that I ordered and are installed on my 2g.
My other replies explain how I attached them.
Thanks. I cannot see anything under your reply above, no links nor pics, that's why I tagged you and asked directly. Maybe it's just my browser?

@Kryndon Yeah perhaps because of the browser you use.
The links he put earlier are below. (In case if you can't see the links below, search "B00MO8OIQI" and "B07LF6HS9H" in Amazon)

Struts :

Ball Studs :

So far when searching for these I'm coming across two types, ones have 290 NM of force (214 ftlbs) and the others have 520 NM (383 ftlbs) which is a huge difference honestly. I don't know if they switched to a heavier or lighter hood at some point. But a CF hood would be so light I'd be wary of using struts at all.

Thanks. I cannot see anything under your reply above, no links nor pics, that's why I tagged you and asked directly. Maybe it's just my browser?
Here is a picture of the page showing the ones I purchased. Probably is your browser.
Because these mount onto the hinges and never actually touch the hood themselves, I don't expect any issues using these with a CF hood, which I do plan to do hopefully soon.

If you were going to use them on a CF hood, use both. Here's why: they are a bit more flexible than a metal hood. But also very brittle. To only be pushing one side of the hood up will be twisting it quite a bit. It'd be bad to crack a hood for something like that. The ones I'm running already open the hood with such force... to only open one side of a lighter hood with the same amount of force could be catastrophic.

if you were to use shocks with a CF hood, what you would have to do is keep one hand on top of the hood while it opens to keep it from slinging open too quickly and causing damage.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back