The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G 2G hood struts for carbon hood

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bizarre

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 23, 2005
Milton, Ontario_Canada
Does anyone have a DYI ideas for Hood struts for 2G with carbon hood??
A carbon hood is lot lighter so 300m hood struts won’t work or any struts for a big hood. I’m thinking a 15lbs strut but I’m not sure the length.

Maybe someone has the right length I would need?

The eBay kit(with the red 2G) is good but what I hear isn’t the best for a carbon hood.

You used to be able to order one of the major brands in a lower rated one. I dont remember if it was apr shocks but a while ago ( and i mean years... ) Ot was an option 100% but now the cars are not catered much for these days you might not have loads of options. Ebay is possibly the best

You used to be able to order one of the major brands in a lower rated one. I dont remember if it was apr shocks but a while ago ( and i mean years... ) Ot was an option 100% but now the cars are not catered much for these days you might not have loads of options. Ebay is possibly the best
The eBay kit is good but the struts weight rating is to high. I don’t need the hood to lift up by its self I can do that LOL but I don’t want cracking when I’m closing the hood.

My CF hood is very lightly constructed - and the PM1071 lift is perfect for me. No cracking sounds from the hood when compressing the struts.
Ok I have the Carbonetics hood oem style so I guess it’s lightly constructed as well. So you got the hardware from the eBay hood strut kit and used the PM1071 struts? Why didn’t you use the struts from the eBay kit? I like your brackets that you put on the hood hinge but don’t want to buy that eBay kit just to use the brackets

Last edited:
Ok I have the Carbonetics hood oem style so I guess it’s lightly constructed as well. So you got the hardware from the eBay hood strut kit and used the PM1071 struts? Why didn’t you use the struts from the eBay kit? I like your brackets that you put on the hood hinge but don’t want to buy that eBay kit just to use the brackets
The struts in the kit were meant for the weight of a stock hood and a different mounting on the fender, as the kit struts are shorter than 12”. I decided the cost of the kit was worth the cost of convenience, to get the brackets and other parts.

The struts in the kit were meant for the weight of a stock hood and a different mounting on the fender, as the kit struts are shorter than 12”. I decided the cost of the kit was worth the cost of convenience, to get the brackets and other parts.
I get it… I guess I can just get the ball studs and make my own bracket for the hood hinge

I get it… I guess I can just get the ball studs and make my own bracket for the hood hinge
I was considering drilling and tapping the hood hinges and installing a ball stud. I might still, as the e-bay kit brackets are functional, but not "pretty" If the lift strut were a little bit long 1/4 - 1/2 inch, the stock hood hing has a stop, preventing you from over opening the hood. The extra strut length would serve as a pre-load to hold the hood max open.

I use these on my Carbonetics v2 hood. I originally tried the 30 lb. version but they were too strong. They were strong enough to lift the hood on their own, but shutting the hood from the front edge felt sketchy like the hood might break. So we switched to the 20 lb. version; they're not strong enough to lift the hood on their own, but hold it up just fine.

I use these on my Carbonetics v2 hood. I originally tried the 30 lb. version but they were too strong. They were strong enough to lift the hood on their own, but shutting the hood from the front edge felt sketchy like the hood might break. So we switched to the 20 lb. version; they're not strong enough to lift the hood on their own, but hold it up just fine.

Ok thanks for the information… I’m guessing you used the brackets from the original kit you got?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back