The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G headlights on 1G - Work in progress

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tunermag

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Buenos Aires -, South_America
My headlights housing were becoming light brown on the inside. So, I decided to go with 2G headlight in my 1G. I made some research but I can't find anyone who've done this swap. Anyway, I've decided to do the swap and share my pictures.

I'm still working (the body shop people really ;) ) but I hope to obtain a clean look.

Original:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Almost finish:

Excuse my english if I made some mistakes :beatentodeath:

wow +1 for attempting that! I can't wait to see the finished product. Your lines and spacing look better than mine and I have OEM headlights. I personally like the halos over the projectors but it looks really awesome. Do you have to fabricate the bumper as well to accommodate?

Do you have to fabricate the bumper as well to accommodate?

I think I could accomodate the original bumper with minor mods, but that is not my idea. I'm thinkink in a 2G like bumper. I don't know if I'll use a 2G as base or make all from scratch taking my 1G bumper.

Looks good so far.
Looking at your 1g lights the look longer than the 2g.
How will you fix it so you will not have that gap between the bumper and lights.

the 2g lights are taller then the 1g so couldn't he just cut away at the bumper?

See that is the thing because the lights are longer on the 1g the bumper was made to fit those lights.
So had he put the bumper back on there will be a 1"or 2'' gap with the 2g lights because they are smaller so i would say you would probaly not want to cut the bumper but expand it so it fits even with the headlights.
Most of the time when they do the headlight coversions they usally use the same year bumper as the same year head lights. But this is a 1g and those are 2g headlights.
That is why i asked what will he be doing to fix that.

See that is the thing because the lights are longer on the 1g the bumper was made to fit those lights.
So had he put the bumper back on there will be a 1"or 2'' gap with the 2g lights because they are smaller so i would say you would probaly not want to cut the bumper but expand it so it fits even with the headlights.
Most of the time when they do the headlight coversions they usally use the same year bumper as the same year head lights. But this is a 1g and those are 2g headlights.
That is why i asked what will he be doing to fix that.

Yes, you're all right. But I have a lot of details to save. This is not a bolt on :) , that gap is the less complicated thing I need to deal with.

I think we'll finish first the fenders and make the final bumper to fit with that and the gap in the front grill. We've a lot of work to do :rocks:

I'm still amazed at the amount of work its going to take.Props again tuner you have some imagination, to think this all started because your 1g lenses were turning "a little" brown, unlike everyone else in dsm history who has replaced them with oem or after market, you have one-upped everyone.

I have always thought about doing this. Glad to see someone took the leap. You should use a 1gb laser bumper, I think that would look best.

I have seen 1g's with 2g bumpers and its pretty hideous.

Are you going to paint the car while your at it too?
Yes that is going to be alot of work.

I'll finish with the body work, come back to engine (I have some mods but also have half an engine in my house :) ).

After that, paint it all on candy red and black and finally make some work on the interiors (leather seats, gauge pods, integrate my apexys, etc).

Hi, finally I have an update for this thread.

Unfortunately, I don't have too much time to see what they were doing at the body shop and they made the 2GA bumper instead of the 2GB.

They'll make the front bumper again :beatentodeath: :beatentodeath:

Here are some pics of the work

This is what I originally wanted

Excuse me for the bad PS

Bro I dont know how much itll cost to have them do the 2gb but it would definetly look better that 2ga front is way too round. The 2gb would fit perfect please have them redo it. Dont let them finish that.

Bro I dont know how much itll cost to have them do the 2gb but it would definetly look better that 2ga front is way too round. The 2gb would fit perfect please have them redo it. Dont let them finish that.

It'll cost me nothing because they made a mistake. I sent the pictures but I think they've lost it.

2GB like bumper fit better with my intercooler and headlights.

I like the idea since no one has ever done this that I know of. You may want knock the rust off the metal and get some primer on there that way all the work doesn't go to waste. 2gb will look better than the smiley face since there is some boxiness to the 2gb front.

You may want knock the rust off the metal and get some primer on there that way all the work doesn't go to waste.

2gb will look better than the smiley face since there is some boxiness to the 2gb front.

Tks for the advice man, I really need to do that.

I talked with them today and we agree to redo the job if I get a 2Gb bumper to copy. (There aren't a lot of 2Gb Eclipse's here) but I have a friend that will lend me a Stillen 2G bumper that is similar to what I'm looking for.

Hi all, finally I get the bumper I want. Here are the pictures when I arrived the workshop to finally begin with the engine.

Don't worry, I'll go later and do something with the rust.

This should be pretty sweet once finished...
Props for having the balls to do something most wouldn't consider feasible. Show 'em how it's done man! When I first heard the idea and hadn't yet seen pics I was skeptical, but I can definetly see how this is going to pull together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back