The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G 2G head on 1G block swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethyl

Probationary Member
Feb 5, 2023
Moscow, Idaho
So I’ve been trying to revive my car and have suspected my valves are bent after not tensioning the tensioner correctly. The leak down test had air pushing out of the spark plug holes.

My question is about the info I have gathered so far of what needs to be done. The 2G head will need the Oil port reamed a 1mm thicker (correct me if I’m wrong) and I was told by the previous owner that he has reusable ARP head studs that are between the 6bolt and 7bolt stud sizes so I will not need to ream the 10mm stud holes.

From what I know I will have to use the 2G intake manifold and exhaust manifold. If I want to use the 1G throttle body then I’ll have to buy a 2G Throttle body gasket.

This is all I have learned and found from forums and other sources but I need to know if this is all correct or if there is more I will have to do in order to get this 2G head to fit and function on my 1G Talon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I run a 6 bolt with a 2g head. There are NO ARP head studs that are "between" a 6 and a 7. The head bolt holes need opened up to 1/2", I believe. Just enough to accommodate 6 bolt head studs. Double check the size of hole needed, it is not much bigger, just a fraction.
I run a 1g throttle body on a EVO3 intake and use a 1g TB gasket on it.
You can use ANY exhaust manifold of your choice.
Lastly, Welcome to the Forum!
Marty

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back