The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G 2g gsx rear trailing arms

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T bags

Proven Member
Apr 9, 2022
Newark, New_Jersey
First post🥸
1996 gsx rear trailing arms are so much fun. Anyways I’m trying to get the bolt out by spinning the 22m next to the gas tank but this tab keep spinning, pic -1, a 17m socket does not help hold it still. Any other ideas before I get the saws all to it?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Not the best photo but this is the replacement

Sawzall is an option when all else fails. I had to cut off some frozen cam bolts on a Subaru last weekend. A carbide blade made quick work of it. I would cut in between the bushing and the arm if not trying to save it.

Thx for the replies
Ran out of time today so I’ll try both methods. Seems like a 3/8 17m skinny socket would be better since the impact 1/2 seems not to catch well. We just bought the 6-9 Milwaukee carbide blade as a back up

Research in progress

Progress
Blasted the bolts for two days with freeze off. Took the advise and jammed this unnamed tool in their to stop the spinning

Lucky me the passenger side came right off

On those replacement arms, please monitor them. My experience isn't really the same as most cars with all the high g loads I see on the race track but I had a set of arms like those (mine were from Megan Racing but they looked exactly like those except in blue) and their u-shaped brackets basically collapsed. The metal was just too weak. I replaced them with a set from Volk Racing where I had him add some reinforcement and knock on wood haven't had an issue since. Hard to say if his needed reinforcement but I wasn't going to take a chance.

Interesting concept on the bending especially at the drag strip.

Interesting concept on the bending especially at the drag strip.
Johns bent because he has spericals in the knuckle so it twisted the whole arm and then had loads apply so the arm was out of strength vertically where the strength is in the bracket and thats why it bent.

With a stock knuckle bush or solid poly bush you wont have this issue so no need to worry. Neither mine nor pauls arms brackets have ever bent and alot use them in racing but they all use poly bushes or stock bushes if they still alive and not cracked by now.

I think only 3 people went sphericals on the knuckles from memory a while back

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back