The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G GSX path? Help guys

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMjunkieNH

Proven Member
Mar 20, 2013
rochester, New_Hampshire
Whats up guys, I have a 1997 GSX with 183k on the body and "16k" on the motor. What do you guys think I should take for a path. Not looking for a 500whp monster more of just a daily. The miles are kinda scaring me because idk if it really was rebuilt or not. It does run like it has 5k on it straighter than an arrow with no weird motor noises at all. Inputs would be awesome!

Mods
Manley Rods (what previous owner told me)
ACL bearings (^^^^^ same )
ETS Hard piping
ETS Front mount
ETS Intake
255 high flow fuel pump ( wally )
550 injectors
black box ecu tuned for my setup ( t-25 turbo ) anti-lag at 4200 no lift to shift at 6500
2.5" downpipe
3" straight pipe exhaust
fuel pressure regulator
MBC set to 12 psi

lemme know your inputs of what my first few steps would be ( I got it tuned myself so everything is running right and my Air Fuel is at 10.5 which I had set to )

Thanks guys my names Danny!

T25 anti lag at 4200 LOL. Not trying to be rude but just as advice I would take anti lag off immediately! You do not need that for that turbo and if you have been using it, you should be looking for a new turbo.

As far as your goals, I would get a 68 hta and call it a day. Your looking for a good daily driver and that turbo will maintain stock looks under the hood and have the potential to run 11s. Many have done it and the turbo Is proven. 10.5:1 afr is a little rich for my blood. I would tune it a little higher around 10.9:1. As far as fuel your looking pretty good. I would get a little bigger injectors just so I wouldn't be running high IDCs and that way you can have room to play with as far as fuel goes. If the guy you got the car from is not lying then your set as far as an engine.

I just noticed it doesn't say anything about a wideband in your post, so how are you even sure or even know that your afr's at what you think they are? You are deffifently not on the right track. Is this your first Dsm and turbo car. If so I would read a lot throughout the forums for they are very helpful. I got my first Dsm and turbo car last August bone stock and I learned so fast I can build engine, do mild port work on heads, really good at tuning, and actually give a lot of advice to people that were in my position at one point in time.

Also if your going off your stock boost gauge I would stop immediately and get a actual boost gauge so you know things are correct.

I'm choosing to help you friend, so work with me to help you get things right where they need to be.

Hope this helps.

Anthony B.

Agreed with the no anti lag but other than that I'd get like 800 injectors and an Evo III turbo and mani then call it a day if you're not trying to get crazy. My old setup was close to that and it beat a good amout of cars but I was on 22lbs I'd get head studs and gasket with a Kevlar belt too

Your mod list has nothing about gauges so get your basic gauges, boost and a wideband I'd also recommend a oil pressure gauge. Also I would take that anti lag down if you don't want to get rid of it to 3200-3500 , I had it on my Gst with a stock turbo and didn't hurt anything on my dd. And I abused my t25. If you got receipts to back up those internal mod claims there's only one way to know for sure

hey guys sorry about that and I don't use the anti lag nor do I launch with it more of just to say I have it. Also I do have a boost gauge in the car its a autometer. This isn't my first dsm though actually is my around my 7th or 8th now and I believe the next step for me is getting a wideband to see exactly what my air fuel is. Didn't take any of these the wrong way I want your guys input actually. Any other ideas now that you know that stuff?

Yeah just general stuff not just a turbo upgrade specifically. Should I do a timing belt water pump , head gasket stuff like that first or should I just do a turbo upgrade? I'm kind of lost I wanna keep this one for a while so

The miles are kinda scaring me because idk if it really was rebuilt or not. It does run like it has 5k on it straighter than an arrow with no weird motor noises at all. Inputs would be awesome!

lemme know your inputs of what my first few steps would be ( I got it tuned myself so everything is running right and my Air Fuel is at 10.5 which I had set to )

My 99 has over 257K and i drive it 120 miles a day. It's all in how you take care of it. Do a compression test, make sure the timing belt maintenance is up to par, take out the balance shafts and keep oil in it. You should have a budget and/or power goal in mind. And always ask for receipts from parts installed. Too many people say anything they can to sell a car. If you want to stick with the 550 injectors, maybe a ported 14B, small or EVOIII 16g turbo. I also noticed you don't have a clutch listed. You'll need one. Plan on maybe an ACT2600 or 2100. A wideband has already been mentioned. Get a tactrix cable if you don't have one already and EVOScan. Then you're all set to tune. Some ARP head studs would be a good idea if you don't have them already. 10.5:1 is still pretty rich so there's more power to be had. It seems like you have a good start and only need a few more parts to make some good power.

That is a very strange mod list. Forged rods with stock turbo? 550s and a wally 255hp? what are the pistons? Stock pistons won't fit on an H-beam rods.

Something seems fishy.

Also, if there's nothing wrong with the head gasket, then leave it alone. The stock gasket can handle more than most people will ever throw at these engines.

Deffifently do maintenance and the only reason I didn't say it in any post was because you said you had 7-8 dsm's and you should already know that taking care of the car like it is a baby is a must. Maintenance before mods for sure.

Do the following, but only if you haven't done them yet:

T belt: oem is the way to go
B shaft belt if you still have them
Water pump: oem is best
Spark plugs: ngkbr6es
Spark plug wires: which ever you like
Boost leak test it
Compression test it
Leak down test it
Change out any rotted and dried lines(vac lines, water lines etc)
Change out any old and bad gaskets like Tb, TB elbow, Intake manifold, but only if it needs it
Change out fuel filter: oem is the way to go
Check other belts like AC, alternator, and water pump.
Check all fluids and change what's old: like transmission fluid, motor oil, coolant, power stearing, and break luid.

That should be a good start. If I'm missing something I'm sure someone will chime in and let you know other things maintenance wise that should be done. Hope this helps.

Anthony B.

Thank you guys so much for your input! And my timing belt seems to be somewhat new actually is there anyway to tell? And also Im not sure if it does have those rods but im positive on the fuel pump and injectors. Does seem a little weird but the person never ended up finishing it. So with that being said Ill do maintenance stuff first to make sure everything is up to date then go from there?
Again you guys are awesome for your input and I appreciate it so much !

No problem. Looks can be deceiving but that's just me, I always replace all timing components when I buy the car unless there is actual proof and documentation that it was done recently. Other than that your on tho a good start. Just take care of the basics before diving head first into your pockets and modding the car.

Anthony B.

Whats up guys, I have a 1997 GSX with 183k on the body and "16k" on the motor. What do you guys think I should take for a path. Not looking for a 500whp monster more of just a daily. The miles are kinda scaring me because idk if it really was rebuilt or not. It does run like it has 5k on it straighter than an arrow with no weird motor noises at all. Inputs would be awesome!

Mods
Manley Rods (what previous owner told me)
ACL bearings (^^^^^ same )
ETS Hard piping
ETS Front mount
ETS Intake
255 high flow fuel pump ( wally )
550 injectors
black box ecu tuned for my setup ( t-25 turbo ) anti-lag at 4200 no lift to shift at 6500
2.5" downpipe
3" straight pipe exhaust
fuel pressure regulator
MBC set to 12 psi

Yea check over everything that everyone stated above all that stuff should be checked over very well. :thumb: As far as power goals I would go evo3 16g, 68hta or even 71hta which is my new turbo that I absolutely love!:hellyeah: I am selling a low mile evo3 16g mhi no shaft play if interested let me know. All the turbos I said will get you in the 12-11 second quarter mile range (depending on which ya chose evo3 usually 12s is the most you'll get out of it unless full race car) with proper tuning mods and build!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back