The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

2g fuel pump ground

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_0ney_pit

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 12, 2007
Easton, Pennsylvania
Quick question is the 2g stock fuel pump a switched ground wire black with white strip?

Reason I’m asking is a while back like more than 10 years I did the fuel pump rewire and used the chassis ground for the pump and relay and it worked fine.

Rewired the pump with fresh wire and relay and thought about using the stock fuel pump ground wire to ground the relay like I saw some others do. No I’m not trying to ground the pump ground to this wire just the relay!

Went to test the continuity from the ground wire black with white strip to the chassis and it is open so not connected. Is it cut somewhere else or is the black with white strip a switched ground?

On 2Gs, the fuel pump relay ground is provided by the ecu, only when the engine is somewhere above 0 rpm. The reasoning is that in case of an accident, the engine will stall, and the fuel pump will no longer be pumping fuel, reducing the chance for a fire.

Of all of the thousands of posts here on this forum, I haven’t seen a single one that discusses having problems with the ecu ground, or that it is prone to failure.

You should verify with the correct year FSM the color of the relay ground, but generally, black indicates ground.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back