The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G front tweeter replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is an easy way to fix/upgrade the front tweeters on your stock 2G infinity sound system. This is my second car and both have had blown front tweeters so I am assuming this is a fairly common problem.

Right now there are a couple of sellers on Ebay with Bose tweeters. Search on Bose Tweeters and you should find them. You are looking tweeters that are 3 1/8 inch.
From the ad that I bought from:
These tweeters are "New" surplus and have a 3 1/8" outside diameter and are used in many BOSE "direct reflecting" models. They were also used in BOSE "Interaudio" brand models, notably the "SA" models, where they were mounted behind an injection molded plastic flange. They are 4 ohms and have the plastic magnet cover on them, but are the same as the ones without the cover. They have the 8-32 threaded mounting hole in the backplate. The part number is 116088.

Pull your front tweeters, use a screwdriver and pry them up – be careful not to gouge your dash. Disconnect the quick connect plug. And look at the bottom of the tweeters. The grill is held on with four tabs. Use a screwdriver and pry them up. The grill is slightly too small for the speakers. Take a pair of pliers and spread the grill all the way around the outside, go slow and don’t spread too far, you can always spread it more. Try the grill on the new tweeters, when it fits on nicely, take a small hammer and tap the grill all the way around the speaker to make it fit nice and tight. Bend the four tabs down.

To protect your new speakers, I recommend that you solder a crossover capacitor to the red leg of the tweeter. Use a 50 volt 22 microfarad cap. This will only allow the high frequencies to pass to your new tweeter. Cut the original wires that go to the plug and solder the wires to the tweeter, red wire to the leg with the red dot and capacitor on the speaker.

Put the speakers back in the car – they sound awesome!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back