The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G 2G Front Seats

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wow this is great information! Thanks for the heads up John!

How comfortable are the seats and do they clear the amp? Lol

Who's John?

The seats feel good to me, but I'll give a better assessment once these are bolted in place. I can say that the extra lumbar padding you can purchase from Sparco has the "hook" side of velcro, and if you sew in some "loop" velcro onto the seat fabric, you can make some customization.

Oh, and the bracket would fit over the factory amp. I have my front speaker crossovers under there instead as I have separate tweeters in the dash.

Last edited:
Who's John?

The seats feel good to me, but I'll give a better assessment once these are bolted in place. I can say that the extra lumbar padding you can purchase from Sparco has the "hook" side of velcro, and if you sew in some "loop" velcro onto the seat fabric, you can make some customization.

Oh, and the bracket would fit over the factory amp. I have my front speaker crossovers under there instead as I have separate tweeters in the dash.

Sorry I think that was an autocorrect. But thank you for the info!

Having trouble locating high strength 11mm x 1.25 bolts to mount your seat belt hardware?
Yeah me too.

I did figure out that 7/16 - 20 is what came out of the factory seat. My local OSH had 3/4" Grade 8 bolts. I wanted to use a shorter bolt than what you find in your factory seat (for clearance) and I also picked up some nice washers to go with. Look for 6 radial lines on the head of the bolt indicating its strength.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Both 3 and 4 point belts supported, at least for now. I will remove the inside recline handle to allow for it.

I finally made some holes and bolted everything in place. I'll just say - its not done. I needed to get here to learn what to do next.

Initial impressions R100 on modified WEDGE brackets for Sparco sliders:

Positives:
Firm - but not hard, hugs my sides and my hips, belts really snug you in, and the color is perfect. Seat does not touch to door or headliner in any way. Seat slides and tilts WAY far back and really close forward. The recline handles are 1/4" square keyed and can be removed and flipped as you like - in 90 deg positions. This turns out to be important to avoid crushing the handle with the seat belts.

Negatives:
Slightly off center*. Not really "bolt in" but when I'm done it will be. Sparco sliders are set WIDE compared to others and that is actually a problem when you want to get as close to the center console as you can, cause you can't put the inboard slider all the way out on the edge of the bracket. Seatbelt tab could be shorter, and I could not work out a way to bend it cause it's stronger than everything it is attached to. The plastic handles break tabs easy, so if you can work it out to attach them one time and be done, you will thank me.

*I'm still tweaking. Once I shift over 1.25" more I'll check center again.

Other things:
I'm a narrow 5'9" 133lb COVID sloth build. I can slide a bit left and right in the seat, which is totally fine. I'm looking at filling gaps with padding and lumbar support. This falls into the realm of "driver customization".

The R100 Sparco seat height feels lower than stock on WEDGE with the sliders. (wow really?) yeah. I actually lowered my steering wheel, which I usually have in the full up position.

In order to slide the seat over a bit more, I'll be adding 3/16" x1.5" bars on the bottom of the seat, and offset on top of the slider. Wish me luck.

The Seatbelt tab is in my way, too tall. I'm going to drill and tap a new hole on the same tab, lower.
I also want to trim down the shaft for the inside recline handle, and terminate the with something simple.

It will be worth it if the seating position is correct. I mean, what's the point of an after market seat if its wrong for the driving position?

3 holes left

I test fit the new seating position with one bolt in, with the new setup moving over 1.25” and up 3/16”

It’s centered!

Made my final marks and will ensure the sliders are parallel and square to each other for final setup.

Fixed this

Removed these:

Made this, 3/8" SS collar with set screw, 3/4" plastic cap cover:

Finally - everything where it goes, slider handle bent to fit.

Right up close to the center console without rubbing, still have 3 fingers to the headliner.

The most difficult bolt to reach is now easier to reach (thumbs up)

As close as I can without touching.

Profile view

I tried to replicate the stock seat measurement position for comparison - Note the seat base is less tilted than stock, so the aluminum bar is to the front edge, which compares better
Stock GSX trim, grey leather power seat - 51 lbs

Sparco+Sliders/Brackets - 42.4 lbs

Stock seat to headliner - 36 1/4"

Sparco seat to headliner 35 3/8"

Passenger side holes drilled and bolted up. Note, I chose to leave a little more room for the inside seatbelt, so a 3pt belt "could" be used, but I'm not. I'm going to remove the 3pt belts and save a little weight/clutter. This solution is slightly heavier than stock at 42.5 lbs, compared to the manual leather passengers seat at 38.2lb. +4.3lbs, so removing the 3pt belts will help offset the difference.

A few curse words at this bracket, which I managed to find a way to bend this time instead of cut, as the offset on the seat is less. I also smoothed off the rough edges on the tab to save my seat fabric.

Where it goes:

Matching pairs - simple - clean, purposeful.

Last edited:
Oh yeah! Those brackets for side mounting race seats are killer. You could sell those.

I thought about it, but there's so few of us in the community that would actually use them. Plus I no longer have access to a machine shop since changing jobs.

So looking at WEDGE's site they mention that their brackets fit Recaros and Corbreau seats. I assume all your custom modifications are due to you wanting to use Sparco seats? I am looking at purchasing some WEDGE brackets for my 2G but I am looking for a more direct fit bolt in solution. Thinking of going with a Recaro/Corbreau driver seat solution. Reading your thread concerns me on how much modifications the brackets have needed. Are you happy with the brackets?

So looking at WEDGE's site they mention that their brackets fit Recaros and Corbreau seats. I assume all your custom modifications are due to you wanting to use Sparco seats? I am looking at purchasing some WEDGE brackets for my 2G but I am looking for a more direct fit bolt in solution. Thinking of going with a Recaro/Corbreau driver seat solution. Reading your thread concerns me on how much modifications the brackets have needed. Are you happy with the brackets?

Initially my issues were with the fitment of the bracket in my model year GSX. The template they have (had) for the drivers position would not work for the 95 GSX center tunnel. They now have a way to make a bracket that fits - be sure to ask for it.

After that 1st issue was resolved, my issues were related to the SPARCO bolt pattern. If I had informed WEDGE that I was intending to buy the brackets for SPARCO, they would have offered a SPARCO bolt pattern for a little more money (+$15?)

That being said, the additional 3/16"x1.5" bars under the SPARCO seat to offset towards the center console is required, unless you want to sit off-center to the wheel.

WEDGE will work with you to get the fitment you want, but you need to let them know in advance via e-mail so that you avoid rework.

If you are going with a bottom mount seat with a bolt pattern for the sliders that are closer together than SPARCO, then it will be easier to position the seat centered on the wheel, possibly without the use of additional bars like I needed to do.

Gotcha!

I fully intend to reach out to WEDGE prior to purchase to ensure the seats I buy will indeed fit and verify proper brackets for my vehicle (1995 Talon TSI). I also intend to purchase one of the seat manufactures they already "guarantee" fitment for. I am just concerned with getting a bracket that Ill have to modify to fit properly for the seats I buy. I plan to purchase their brackets with the slider option and purchase seats that are bottom mounted and reclaimable.

The template they have (had) for the drivers position would not work for the 95 GSX center tunnel. They now have a way to make a bracket that fits - be sure to ask for it
I have an AWD as well, I assume I should just mention this when I email them and ensure I get the proper bracket for my application?

Overall are you happy with the WEDGE brackets?

Thanks a bunch for the response.

Matching pairs - simple - clean, purposeful.
Justin, these look great. One of the more natural looking seat applications we've seen. In our race cars, we've tried Sparco, Kirkey and others, and ran into the same problems with the mounting brackets that you experienced. Console clearances (for seat belt attachments) and seat belt attachment points were required creative solutions. Kudos for finding a solution and chasing the details until it is right.

Our Spyder DD has a tan interior, so black high backs look like overkill for that application. With the advice of @WidgeMaster, we're going to rebuild the padding on the factory (non-powered) buckets and reupholster them in matching vinyl, as opposed to leather, which has gotten dry and very stiff over the years.

When you do get the seats and brackets the way you want them, may be post up a template of your bracket hole spacing for others to follow.

Great work. Thanks for sharing your findings.

I am happy with the solution overall. If I do remove the seats, I'll try to get some details on the bolt pattern posted. Thank you everyone for your comments and feedback. Please continue to post your results on this thread if you like.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back