The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

2G 2g Flatout coilovers : The average guy review

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitsumike0

Proven Member
Oct 13, 2013
Passaic, New_Jersey
What up, tuners! Over the past month or 2 ago , flatout suspension was introduced to this forum. I personally have never ever heard of this particular company and my natural reaction would be to proceed with caution. After about 5 ish weeks of placing my order, they arrived at my door and these are my thoughts

So what do I mean by the average guy review? I have been dsming for 5+ years, but suspension is not my strong suite at all. I will not get into the technical aspects of the coilovers but more like if I was some normal dude looking to buy coilovers for my 2g eclipse.

Let me say this before I begin. I am not sponsored by flatout in anyway shape or form. These coilovers were not given to me. I paid for them out of my own pocket so you will be getting my honest review out of them. This review will also happen in multiple parts(box, installing and finally a test drive). Anyways let's begin...

Upon delivery I immediately noticed the smallish size of the box. Usually coilovers come in this massive box, but not these. After opening the box, everything is very well packaged, the fronts are actually separated from the rears in 2 smaller boxes.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Right after I lift that 1st box up, I see a blue folder that caught my attention. Inside of this has my order receipt, a warranty card(3 years!) , a sticker, a Keychain and some helpful directions on installation. Hats off to you flatout, this is very nicely done and looks extremely professional.

Going on the 1st set of coilovers, which were the fronts. Upon lifting the tab, I saw peanuts. See I gotta stop with this review for a brief second. I hate peanuts, however flatout was smart and put those peanuts in a bag! After realizing this, I took out the fronts and these scream quality. The electroplated coating looks very nice and uniform. They come with helper springs (actually all 4 corners do!) to keep the spring seated during negative preload. They come with the PROPER spherical top hats that the fronts need to function correctly. These came with magnitude springs and for those wondering, they are comparable to swift/hypercoil springs. The adjustment knob for stiffness has great feedback. The quality is there for sure!

After seeing those fronts, I was pumped for the rears. Same ordeal with the boxes. The rears are just as nice as the fronts with an added bonus. The rears come with SPHEREICAL top hats! I have not seen a coilover at this price point bring these in the rear. They also have helper springs and the whole shabang.

My current thoughts: I love them. For the price point the are hard to beat and I think they are priced better than feals. The color scheme is very neutral which doesn't make them ricey to look at. The quality, you can tell flatout makes quality products and it shows. The 3 year warranty is industry leading (its usually 1) and they are located in the USA (MD I believe) For those wondering, yes I am one of those Guinea pigs that will be trying these out. My car currently has a strut/spring setup so these will be tested in terms of comfort/performance against those. Stay tuned for more!
P. S. - spanner wrenches are included, just not pictured.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike!

Glad to know people pay attention to the folder. I always wondered if people cast it aside and never bother to look. Glad to know my extra mile is appreciated.

I figure with the price of our stuff, we can’t just toss papers in a box. We work to keep the image of quality down to the last detail.

Looking forward to your follow ups!

Nothing yet. It's pretty cold outside and the dsm lives in a non heated garage. I havent forgotten about you guys. I'm just looking for that one day with 50 degree temps

Any update on these? I'm new to the dsm field and I'm in the market for some coilovers!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back