The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Fetches big price

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mech Addict

Supporting Member
Jun 9, 2019
Jackson, Wyoming
Yesterday a very nice moderately modded 1995 gsx with listed 46k miles sold for just shy of $35k on bring a trailer. Most of the comments were about how rare these are, or someone’s fond memories of them. I think we are on the cusp of a new wave of desirability for our cars that I have been anticipating since, well, since I joined this forum at least. I think this was a BAT record. I see what nice 70’s pickups and even corvairs are getting at auction, and can’t understand how we’re not there with these cars. I know some members share this view, and this may a good indication that the time has arrived. Parts availability (lack of) could play in interesting role in value of complete, well maintained examples.

Yeah I watched it. Clean car, but damn, $30+K for that one was ridiculous.

I also watched it up until about an hour before it went off sale, WOW. I looked around at the other cars while I was there. I think it was at $22222 when I saw it and even thought that was very good.

“Parts availability (lack of) could play in interesting role in value of complete, well maintained examples.”

Well maintained stockish mid 90’s cars are indeed rare. Coupled with a 5yr body style and interior run leads me to believe the aftermarket will be hesitant to repop the plastic interior bits that don’t last as the miles and years rack up.

This is why even if you have a clapped out one you need to try to fix it. That's where my head is at. You either pay top dollar for one or try to do all the work yourself, and or pay a shop to do it. I don't think the value is ever going to go down on these cars.

Who bought it? Is it an enthusiast or a collector? It's one thing to buy a survivor (or restored) classic car. Many of those you can buy every part for it. But not these. Makes me wonder about some of the "newer" GM cars too like Grand National. Can you get parts?
We need bigger support and soon. I kind of lucked out and my 52k example wasn't this high but it wasn't cheap either. Some days I wish I would've left it at 52k but I've thoroughly enjoyed the car over my 10 years of ownership and will continue to do so.

I couldn't believe how much this car sold for, especially being fairly modified. However, I'm more than happy to see these cars go for more and more money. I think with how few of them were genuinely well kept, they'll just continue to maintain or increase in value.

I’m insane when it comes to these cars. Someone would have to offer me a ridiculous sum to get my pile of s*** off of me.

Had a guy wave $4500 in my face for the talon as it sits now and I turned it down. As much as it needs, and in the rough shape that it’s in, it’s still worth more to me now. It’s dumb, but eh. What can I say.

I'm going to need therapy after I finish mine. I told the wife when I die to put me in my talon and bury us both.

I want government officials to lower me into my grave so my government can let me down, one last time.

To be fair that car does look like the day it was sitting on the dealer lot. All the rubber is mint, paint looks mint, interior mint, under is mint, everything is mint. If your car isn't like that (hint, it isn't) , you won't be getting that price. That car selling for that price is supply/demand meeting opportunity. Will you see one again like that for sale? Sure, maybe in 5+ years. And it won't be going for 15k. Coin up or woulda coulda shoulda for the next half decade.

I agree that was a very good example. The buyers on BAT are not fools, and folks won’t get 20k all of a sudden for junker dsm’s. But we may see more primo cars emerge from their garages to be drooled over by folks like me: 50 year olds with fond memories of these amazing designs.

Curious, what are decently but not show-quality restored 1G 6/4 turbo AWD manual DSMs <100k miles going for? Asking for a friend, obviously.

Last 1G that sold on BAT went for around 14k. You can go on their site and search for eclipse, and it will take you to a page showing all 1g and 2g lumped together. The more interesting story, I think, is the comments that were left during bidding on this latest 2g. I think a few big sales of very nice examples can rev up the whole market, and within a few years we may see a rising tide for all dsm.

I have no intention of selling mine any time soon so I'm just curious at this point for when I do sell it someday. I'll probably remain basically stock once I'm done with the restoration, which should be sometime this summer. About to start "Phase 3" soon.

I just have to say after dumping thousands into mine to make power I’m happy to just be able to turn the key and know it starts LOL. Today I cruised her thru town, hit the car wash, then the gym, and just enjoyed driving a classic. Don’t get me wrong, listening to it idling at a light with s3’s and a t51r modded turbo thru a straight pipe is all I need sometimes, no WOT pulls required. I’m just thankful to be able to drive and enjoy my DSM:dsm:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

yeah, I'm with you on that. I definitely didn't buy my car as an investment. Honestly with the money I've sunk into it plus what I likely still will, prices would have to go way up before I could ever break even, and what's the point of that. The rising prices may help keep more parts support going, though I'm not convinced. Certainly the reverse would be true though, if the value of these cars were declining into obscurity, no companies would bother.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back