The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G 2G Black Box ECU in 1G wiring

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junfan

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 11, 2010
Okemos, Michigan
So I am thinking I would like to put a 2g flashable ECU in my 1g and use EcuFlash. I may even think about the EVO ECU. Anyhow, I was looking through the wiring this morning. Here is where I am at.

I have put the corresponding pin for the 2g ECU in red bold on the diagram directly.

I am sure some are wrong. What should I do with pins 1 and 2 for diagnostics?

Attachments

• 1g to 2g wiring.jpg
    1g to 2g wiring.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 11,554
Perhaps the better approach is to take the wiring schematic from say a 1995 ecu pin out and match it to your 1g wiring harness. There are 4 connectors on a 1995 ecu. 26+16(-8)+12(-6)+22(-19)=59 potential splices. Your schematic shows 3. Best bet would be to get the later ECU with the control wiring harness as complete as possible.

Last edited:
My plan was to find a 2g wiring harness and then build a 6 inch or so pigtail using a plug off a bad 1g ECU. You make a great point maybe I should get the other drawing and approach it that way.

Alright, this is going forward and I will document as I build the harness. I have an unmolested 1g manual harness in my garage. I am going to find a 2g harness and then am going to cut the end off the 1g harness and solder and heat shrink tube each individual connect instead of trying fashion a harness. The question now is splice into it creating a car that can support either ECU or simply just move forward. My friend Jeremy (6bolt2g) already had this working in his car so I will have a reference point.

Im thinking of doing the same ecu conversion on my 1g, will it be easier if I get the 2g harness complete from engine to ecu?

I guess I should follow this up since I got a couple emails on it. I will pop a few files up I have gotten and edited and then put up a couple pics. We have currently I think five cars within our group that are running a 98/99 flasheable ECU. We have three 1g cars, including mine, an AWD colt that may be ready for shootout and also a Mirage with a 4g63 turbo swap.

I want to point out none of this info is new I just brought it together so I could make sense of it for myself. I used the search function on here to find some info, cross referenced it with guys doing evo ECU swaps and asked for clarification and sent these files to Antilag_200 and 6Bolt2g. They helped me through the process. I did however buy the service manual and lived in them for a couple weeks. I know much more about my car and it all makes so much more sense now. I actually also removed anything not needed from my wiring harness.

Here is the info.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Couple quick questions on this. Setting up a 90 4g64 turbo D50 to run an open ecu. Just a basic setup with 450s and a 1g maf. Do I need the 2g map? Should I just wire in a 2g maf rather than the 1g maf? I had an adapter harness built. I have the harness out of the truck currently, would rather make the changes now if needed.

It depends on what you want to do. Here are the Mass limits of each maf.

MAF______Freq limit__Volumetric limit_____Mass limit
1G DSM___2000hz___180 lps (380 cfm)____210 gm/sec (28 lb/min)
2G DSM___2700hz___320 lps (680 cfm)____375 gm/sec (50 lb/min)
EVO8_____3000hz___420 lps (890 cfm____500 gm/sec (66 lb/min)

It depends on what you want to do. Here are the Mass limits of each maf.

MAF______Freq limit__Volumetric limit_____Mass limit
1G DSM___2000hz___180 lps (380 cfm)____210 gm/sec (28 lb/min)
2G DSM___2700hz___320 lps (680 cfm)____375 gm/sec (50 lb/min)
EVO8_____3000hz___420 lps (890 cfm____500 gm/sec (66 lb/min)

I guess I should be more clear. I am not familiar with the open ecu, will I have the ability to select the 2g maf? Do I need the map sensor?

Your ISC channels are reversed.

Should be:

4 58 Idle Speed Control (ISC) motor coil (A1) 17 59 ISC motor coil (A2)
5 68 ISC motor coil (B1) 18 67 ISC motor coil (B2)

Went through all of this years ago when we developed the process for installing a 2g ECU in a 1g.

If you have a 90 model year, pay very close attention to the MAF reset signal.

Attachments

• 2gecu.docx
    20 KB · Views: 752
As I said I just compiled info I found and guys like Hal did the heavy lifting. Thank you Hal for correcting this and your work on this in 2003!

Your ISC channels are reversed.

Should be:

4 58 Idle Speed Control (ISC) motor coil (A1) 17 59 ISC motor coil (A2)
5 68 ISC motor coil (B1) 18 67 ISC motor coil (B2)

Went through all of this years ago when we developed the process for installing a 2g ECU in a 1g.

If you have a 90 model year, pay very close attention to the MAF reset signal.

I need to switch around 6 & 14 correct? So put 14 where 6 goes and 6 where 14 goes?
Finishing up my harness right now.
Paid some buffoon to do this and I'm finding a lot of issues with it.

Yes, you need to switch those two around.

Blindsley, you do not choose a MAF. There is a maf table that allows you to adjust it's size in that table. If I recall the 2g maf scaling is 286 as compared to like 180 for a 1g and 310 for an EVO maf. Then just set the maf adder scaling units with for a 2g is 64. Should pretty much be set on the MAF side at that point.

Last edited:
I have the wiring harness all tucked and my car runs pretty well on the second gen ECU.

The resister pack removal pigtail I made for High Z and timing/engine speed connectors

CAS and TPS

Injectors

General Engine

Flashable Cables and logging

Firewall and service connectors

Power Distribution

Modified the bracket for the ECU and found a nice mounting spot for it

Do you know how long i have been looking for this? About a month how the hell did i not think to look in here LOL.

One question though, what pins from the obd2 connector do i hook up in the harness and where does the reflash cable hook up too? Or does it matter as long as the wires are in the correct spot on the connector

This is going to be tough to remember. I think the OBD2 connecter has 16 pins arrange in two rows.

I think mine is hooked up as follows. I know it works we used it to get my car running as I had a bad knock sensor on first start.

Pin1 is Yellow diag from ECU pin 56 on connector b-55.
Pin 4 is black ground
Pin 5 is black/white ground
Pin 7 is Pink data from ECU pin 62 on connector b-55.
Pin 16 need to have +12 volts constant

Then I just took a 1g obd1 connector and depinned everything except the first pin and use that as my flash pin. Has been working perfect for me.

Okay and the flash conector hooks up where? Or is just a constant power wire to give the tactrix cable power to flash?

I think it goes to pin 79. That is the flash pin you are supplying power too.

Okay thanks for the info and the help ill keep you guys updated on my project tomorow im doing to junk yard to find ecu plugs

Okay guys today i was able to find the ecu plugs and tomorrow i start the conversion

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back