The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2g Eclipse in Japan

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imagine-02

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 19, 2008
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
I know that some were imported into Japan (I'm assuming privately), but is this video suggesting that they were sold there? Would probably help if I could understand what they are saying in the video.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Threw this video of the 1G GSR 4 on here for fun too.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
They only sold the front wheel drive models there. Even more interesting was they sold a small amount of custom coach built gullwing 1g cars.

Also, in Germany they sold targa 1g's.

In Japan, 1st and 2nd gen Eclipse was sold in various option:
1Gen:
GS 2.0 (4G63 N/A)
GS Turbo 2.0 (4G63T)
GSR-4 (GSX)

2Gen:
GS 2.0 (4G63 N/A, like in Europe)
GT (GS-T)

Only pre-restyle variants was imported (yes, imported, because Eclipse was built only in U.S. by Mitsubishi's facility plant in Normal - this explain RHD) and sold officially by Mitsubishi Japan.

First gen has more variants, like the rarest 54 exemplars of Gullwing, pre-production test from Mitsubishi Japan Car division (same test was made on some Mitsubishi Starions). This variant was very famous by a TV series in Japan, because it was the car of one of the characters.
First gen also had front blinkers in fog lamps and some minimum electrical differences than the U.S. models.

2nd gen has some things different from US and EU version, like the tachometer limited at 180 km/h, a little spoiler under the front bumper and some extra colors, like Yellow, azure and pink (last one not confirmed).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back