The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2g Eclipse GSX's losing there value wtf?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Some people just remind me of this guy.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tEHZ8dzVEFs[/ame]

Last edited:
My car sounds pretty damn good. I get most compliments from mustang owners.

My car sounds pretty damn good. I get most compliments from mustang owners.

DSM's can sound pretty cool, especially with the right cams. But that guy's comment was just silly.

I disagree that a 2G DSM will NEVER be worth decent money.

In the late 80s, you could buy a lot of old school muscle cars for next to nothing because they weren't old enough to have real value. Anyone who drooled over a 1969 Camaro in 1985 probably had a young family and couldn't justify having a muscle car to haul their 2.5 kids, wife and dog. But skip 20 years later, their kids are grown up and they've got $ to spare...So they start to drive up the price of 60s and 70s vehicles.

Hell, in 1993, I bought a running/driving 1968 Dodge Charger for $100. Sold that same car (not running by then) in 2005 for ~$4,000.

The same thing will happen to vehicles from every era.

DSM's can sound pretty cool, especially with the right cams. But that guy's comment was just silly.

As I said later. There are always exceptions. More modern or sports car/super car V8s sound awesome. But the "traditional" sound is ####ing annoying.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKPhT9gPz5Y]Ford Mustang 66, V8 sound - YouTube[/ame] Here is a example that isn't as extreme as what I mean. But that lopey idle with the death rattle sound to me is the Honda fart can of the V8 world. It's defiantly not the same thing as amazing sounding V8 like most super cars or even more modern Mustangs. Maybe it's just the carbureted sound I don't like.

Maybe I hear it differently than other people, I'm not sure... I have a lot of hearing damage from very serious ear infections. There is a wide range of tones I can't hear. I honestly can't hear bass guitar 90% of the time.

Some people just remind me of this guy.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tEHZ8dzVEFs

Whats wrong with the OG LOL that dudes willing to put $500 down vs a 275HP mustang with his Little hatch back honda CRX, dudes pretty cool in my opinion the guy recording got scared hahaha didnt even want to show his motor because he new he'd get beat up by a pink ####

Whats wrong with the OG LOL that dudes willing to put $500 down vs a 275HP mustang with his Little hatch back honda CRX, dudes pretty cool in my opinion the guy recording got scared hahaha didnt even want to show his motor because he new he'd get beat up by a pink ####

Did you hear what he said was under the hood? Real OG

I searched for months for a DSM on craiglist, tuners, autotrader, etc. and in three different states and let me tell you, every DSM owner thinks these cars are made of gold. Almost every single car has some type of mechanical problem and every owner thinks mods or maintenance adds to the value. Replacing the timing belt does not negate the fact that your chassis is a rust bucket. Also, holes in the shock towers does not mean "minimal" rust. In the end, I paid more for a stock car than a few beat to shit cars I saw. Honestly, it sucks to see so many owners out there not caring for their cars. Honda's are starting to get more respect than DSM's.

Mustang owners love my "Austin Marton", for realzies. :p

It's true, though. Happens weekly, but when you consider the average intelligence possessed by a Mustang owner, this should surprise no one.

OMG

It's true, though. Happens weekly, but when you consider the average intelligence possessed by a Mustang owner, this should surprise no one.

OMG

No argument here. You have to go to the track to find the hardcore Mustang guys. There are plenty of Mustang guys that are just Honda guys with V8's.

I searched for months for a DSM on craiglist, tuners, autotrader, etc. and in three different states and let me tell you, every DSM owner thinks these cars are made of gold. Almost every single car has some type of mechanical problem and every owner thinks mods or maintenance adds to the value. Replacing the timing belt does not negate the fact that your chassis is a rust bucket. Also, holes in the shock towers does not mean "minimal" rust. In the end, I paid more for a stock car than a few beat to shit cars I saw. Honestly, it sucks to see so many owners out there not caring for their cars. Honda's are starting to get more respect than DSM's.

I agree 100%

I agree 100%

I don't know...most Hondas are beat to death shit boxes too. A Honda Civic was designed to be an economical, reliable, daily commuter, not a "race" car. (Is it really racing if your car runs 15's?) But now, try to find a stock Civic just to beat around town in that hasn't been "all trIck3d out yo." It's nearly impossible, as I have tried.

I don't know...most Hondas are beat to death shit boxes too. A Honda Civic was designed to be an economical, reliable, daily commuter, not a "race" car. (Is it really racing if your car runs 15's?) But now, try to find a stock Civic just to beat around town in that hasn't been "all trIck3d out yo." It's nearly impossible, as I have tried.

DSM's have gotten that low. Honda day at Englishtown's Raceway park is a 2 day affair. Mitsu day is barely a single morning and afternoon and is for DSM's and Evo's.

It's a numbers game when you look at it that way. There are FAAAR more Hondas alive (and more were produced) than DSMs.

Anyone who thinks these cars are in some part some sort of special magical combination of car is kidding themselves.

They're poorly built, poorly designed in some cases (See CW/transfer case recall/balljoints/etc), cheapo depot sports coupes originally built for thirty something baby boomers.

The only thing that they had right from the factory was putting in a factory turbo/awd drivetrain that was used in their actual homologation special cars as a shoe in to compete with the bigger brands of the time (the Celicas/Integras/Preludes).

I think in about another 10-20 years, clean, unmolested examples might be worth *something*, as 1Gs have totally bottomed out, and 2G's are also pretty much bottom dollar cars, but the fact that Mitsubishi is more or less out of the game in the states, and everything's turned into Made In China eBay specials at this point, and anyone with any money has moved on to the better EVO platform, I just don't really see the cars really catching on big. They're always going to be remembered as the "Oh I had one of those cars, went super quick! And then broke all the time. Junked it not long after."

When you look back at it, it's kind of funny how a car that was built for the US domestic market was abandoned so quickly for it's younger sibling.

The whole collapse of the aftermarket industry did no favors as well.

The only reason why I've stuck around with DSMs for so long is because I have way too much invested in them to start over to another superior platform.

That and if I wad it up into a wall, it's cheap as chips to replace.

I agree. At this point, especially for those of us in our 30's who had owned DSM's for many years prior, DSM's will always have a place in our history as one of the pieces of our car-guy past. Some of us may buy another to tinker with if we get bored, but I don't see DSM's ever reaching collector status like old muscle cars.

To be fair, a lot of old muscle cars aren't worth *a lot* (eg north of 40k-50k) unless they're numbers matching cream puffs because they're basically all parts restored (it's hard enough to get 1G parts this day and age alone!).

The value of the "big gun" muscle cars has come down a lot more than the peak a few years ago (around what I want to say 2005-2008ish? The economy crash didn't help at all) because paying over 100k for a Camaro is nuts, even a Yenko these days. There's guys who expect over 80k for a Chevelle because they slapped on some new paint, redid the bolts, and put some ugly Cragars on? Maybe they'll sell it to a sucker, but I don't think the market can sustain that kind of stuff. There's just too many parts available/too many actual cars/too many dreamer car show owners.

Certainly they'll be worth more than a 90s no-name econo-coupe. ;)

If you intend to sell any car over 15 years old I'll be skeptical and shrewd, as would most people. Advertising on CL is always going to bring out the no-money lowballing a-holes, no matter how nice the car is. Usually they also come with offers of trades for lesser vehicles, sexual favors or stolen goods.

Any DSM advertised for more than $3000 and here's the mental checklist I would personally go through:

1) Is it AWD?
2) Is it a manual trans?
3) Is it free of rust?
4) Is the stock wiring harness still completely intact?
5) Do the tires have more than half their life left?
6) Is the timing belt and tensioner good to go?
7) Has the rest of the maintenance been kept up with?
8) Is it fully tuned and immediately driveable?
9) Is the turbo a genuine quality part, and not a T25?
10) Is there a dyno graph or timeslip less than a year old?
11) Is the current owner an honest and responsible person?

I usually ballpark the value from the appearance and then would generally add up to $500 to the value in my head for each yes answer. I think most people probably go through some sort of evaluation process when car shopping, whether they realize they are doing it or not. Once I'm done with the evaluation, I look at the difference in my price and yours. Then I try to decide whether it's close enough to start to negotiate or not. If my value is higher than your price, I usually will offer your full asking price.

You would be very surprised how much mental value people will unknowingly add when you provide good clear photos, the paint looks really good and it has a set of attractive wheels. It also makes your ad the one that gets looked at first and most often.

Also, you being honest about any flaws/problems is always worth a bump upwards in price to me, but I've been around the block enough times to usually know when you haven't been honest once I see the car and take it for a test drive. Some may not be able to call you on it, but how will you know if they can or not? -Also, refusing to let me test drive it, having the car already started when I arrive, telling me we can't take it on the main road, having less than 1/3 tank of gas in it or saying we can't go too far for whatever BS reason is almost always a deal breaker. But I know most of the dishonest tricks people use to get a less than solid car sold. Sell the car for what it is. If it's a broken rusted POS, then your price should reflect that.

I also refuse to buy cars with no trans or engine unless they are loaded with really good parts or they are worth more than your asking price at the local scrapyard. If I wanted a shell, I wouldn't shop for a full car, and vice versa.

There's nothing super special about DSMs, the main draw to them is that they can look good and were factory equipped with a very tunable turbocharged closed-deck iron-block DOHC 4-cylinder, an AWD drivetrain, are easy to work on, and have a plethora of aftermarket upgrades available.

The drawbacks are they are: getting quite old; are often rusted out, hacked or riced; have acquired a piss poor reputation; and the engine was the only part of the entire car designed with any longevity at all in mind.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back