The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2g Eclipse GSX's losing there value wtf?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norcalgsx707

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 28, 2012
lake county, California
I can't believe some off these ignorant school kids on craigslist having no respect for our cars and the effort we put into them. I had one hit me up and offer me $2200 for my 1995 Eclipse GSX with $10k worth of mods and 4k worth of maintence done in the last year. Nevertheless he tried telling me that "they depreciate with aftermarket parts" and the "KBB was the only way to value a car" I came back with explain how a $1000 turbo thats more reliable then a $50 stock turbo would depriciate our cars? of course he had no response. Anyways I've been watching our cars slip off the Value market for quite some time, it's sad that we have to part them out to make what a fraction of what there worth back, I think there needs to be a new system of valuing cars because KBB is bullshit for non-stock vehicles that are built right. It's also leverage for retards to get a steal on a car thats private party and not dealer-ship sold. Hopefully someday there will be a new system that shows the true Value of DSM's that are built right just like the value system with old-school muscle with upgrades.

To an extent, aftermarket parts do depreciate the value of a car. It's assumed that the more stock a car is, the less it was abused. And there is quite a bit of truth to that with a DSM.

You also have to realize that even the highest quality aftermarket parts drop significantly in value once they're bolted to the car. They're now "used". And for someone who doesn't know a lot about DSM's, they don't know or even care about the difference between Godspeed and Forced Performance. They also don't know who installed it. For all they know, that $1,000 turbo was a $100 eBay special that cost $900 for Jiffylube to install.

But your right about KBB value being a poor representation of a cars value. A car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. KBB is just a guide, and most of that depreciating value likely comes from the mass amounts of clunkers rolling around. The KBB on my Spyder GS is $2K higher than a Spyder GST, which is no doubt due to the turbo involved.

The fact that your car needed over $4k in maintenance last year should tell you DSM's are hardly gold.

This is where a lot of you seem to go awry. Just because you like something, doesn't mean it holds much yet gains in value when it comes to the actual market. DSM's will never bring big money at an auction like, say, old muscle cars, or even pristine examples of more modern muscle cars like the Fox body Mustang or Buick Grand National, they just won't. DSM's will always have a cult following, but that doesn't translate into a vehicle that appreciates in value.

As far as the modifications thing, 90% of DSM's you see out there are put together with duct tape and tooth picks, so they are hardly asset-adding modifications. I had some friends that went up to the shootout, and they said over half the cars that showed up couldn't pass tech inspection, and therefore couldn't run. DSM's are cheap speed, so people modify them CHEAPLY, and think their 35psi running 11 second one-run-wonder tin can should be worth 20 grand. It just doesn't work that way.

Edit: Since we always see on this forum, and ESPECIALLY on the DSMTuners facebook (which I've since deleted due to such douchebaggery), people would post something like a 9 second, fully street driven domestic, and the DSM dorks would come out of the woodwork saying "you can make a DSM run 9's and be a daily driver for 10 grand." Ironically, you say you have 10 grand in mods. Does it run 9's? What does it run for 10 grand in mods? What exactly is the potential buyer getting? How much are you asking for the car?

There's always idiots out there don't let it bother you, the right buyer will come along. Like said before Kbb is the worst guide to go off of. My credit union uses Nada as they are more realistic with their values. Like everything in the world these days, its worth what someone is willing to pay, be that good for the buyer or the seller.

This is exactally why I'll never sell my dsm. It may be worth 5k on kbb, but it's worth 100k to me :) we shpuld all know we will NEVER get what we out into it. And thats why if your going to build a race car, you should keep it for ever! Or lose your ass on it.

I could have bought a stock evo9 MR with how much i put into my dsm, but in the end i would only have a stock evo for the same money LOL.

Exactly once I finish my spyder I'll keep it forever it's been my dream car since I was 15 it's worth more then a $ value. Especially since I'm doing the work to it myself.

I work for a used Carlot while going through paramedic school. I see this all the time.

We will use my DD as a trade in/selling example.

96 olds cutlass 2dr.
Kbb in great condition is like 3400$. Example only.

"I just changed the trans filter and fluid that cost 100$"
"New starter-125$"
"New tires on the rear- 200$"
"New AC compressor-250$"
"New fuel pump-80$"
"Recently changed lower intake manifold gasket, Delco plugs, wires, and oil change-300$"

"My car should be worth atleast 6-7k with labor"

There is no truth in what's said here. The fact is people think that dropping money on general maintenance items does not up the cars value one least little bit. It's old and has mileage, if we where talking about a prestine 65 galaxy 2dr hardtop yeah, It would be worth something. But outside of the tuner scene nobody really wants to pay that.

I think it's great that people are actually accepting prices for what they have and not what they have into it. If I seen a over priced race car for sale, I wouldn't bother. Be happy that they are getting easier to pick up nowadays instead of driving the price up. We have a whole thread dedicated to high priced shit on craigslist. One of the last ones is a 2g that's for sale with some mods for 3500$. Which isn't unreasonable and if one knew their stuff could probably get it cheaper.

They are toys. Not investments. You like it, spend money on it. Have fun with it. Just don't get disappointed when you try to sell it and (I'm not saying all) but a lot of people won't even want to give you what you have into it. That's how it works. Unless your toting a stack of receipts from a very reputable speed shop. It wouldn't matter to me.

The fact that your car needed over $4k in maintenance last year should tell you DSM's are hardly gold.

This is where a lot of you seem to go awry. Just because you like something, doesn't mean it holds much yet gains in value when it comes to the actual market. DSM's will never bring big money at an auction like, say, old muscle cars, or even pristine examples of more modern muscle cars like the Fox body Mustang or Buick Grand National, they just won't. DSM's will always have a cult following, but that doesn't translate into a vehicle that appreciates in value.

As far as the modifications thing, 90% of DSM's you see out there are put together with duct tape and tooth picks, so they are hardly asset-adding modifications. I had some friends that went up to the shootout, and they said over half the cars that showed up couldn't pass tech inspection, and therefore couldn't run. DSM's are cheap speed, so people modify them CHEAPLY, and think their 35psi running 11 second one-run-wonder tin can should be worth 20 grand. It just doesn't work that way.

Edit: Since we always see on this forum, and ESPECIALLY on the DSMTuners facebook (which I've since deleted due to such douchebaggery), people would post something like a 9 second, fully street driven domestic, and the DSM dorks would come out of the woodwork saying "you can make a DSM run 9's and be a daily driver for 10 grand." Ironically, you say you have 10 grand in mods. Does it run 9's? What does it run for 10 grand in mods? What exactly is the potential buyer getting? How much are you asking for the car?

Well you never know I think it's premature to judge DSM's, these cars have only been on the market for 20 years, how long has the the Mustang Cobra been out? Reputation is what ruins the car you get morons who beat on these cars and put crap ebay parts into it that do nothing but create problems and ruin mitsubishi's rep. Me and alot of wiser guys on the other hand spend our money on pricey name parts name brand stuff that has been proven time and time again and have had I value my car. Im not trying to smash on it everyday and I agree I've spent 10 grand and im no where near 10's hell id be lucky to pull low 13's at this point car does pull sort of strong though LOL but it still needs parts and a good tune to get the true satisfaction out of it but I wont be running 9's anytime soon, I just wanted to be able to beat me Stock VR-4 and im still not able to. Whats funny is that the 3000gt Vr-4 crowd told me to invest in the eclipse and build it up vs. the 3000gt but im still not there 10k later smdh.

Exactly once I finish my spyder I'll keep it forever it's been my dream car since I was 15 it's worth more then a $ value. Especially since I'm doing the work to it myself.

Now thats motivation for me to keep my car LOL, I played all the games with the Eclipse Gsx (secretly still do)watched the FF part 1 when the introduced the 2.4 litre thinking that was a GSX and my friend had a GST growing up this has always been my dream car, Im kind of paranoid about reliability but I guess if you take care of it you shouldn't have to worry about it. I guess I got offended because this car has more of a sentimental value to me then a sticker price, I thought 5500 was a good price considering all the shit i've done to it, but now Im starting to think its worth more from a sentimental point of view. Also I was so pissed off last night I wanted to choke this kid out through my phone LOL

Last edited:
Don't worry. There will come a time where we will have to make parts from scratch for our cars. Then I'm pretty sure the value will go up.

There won't be any left. The owner trail (2 people)of my old Talon couldn't even keep the ONE request I had to leave the "RIP Wendy" sticker on the glass, has rebuilt it twice, lost extremely rare vintage Volk pieces, etc.

Rare junk is still junk, and will be adjusted accordingly in price. I could push a diamond into a hunk of shit, and the shit won't change price. People will just pull the diamond out and wash their hands clean.

Well you never know I think it's premature to judge DSM's, these cars have only been on the market for 20 years, how long has the the Mustang Cobra been out? Reputation is what ruins the car you get morons who beat on these cars and put crap ebay parts into it that do nothing but create problems and ruin mitsubishi's rep. Me and alot of wiser guys on the other hand spend our money on pricey name parts name brand stuff that has been proven time and time again and have had I value my car. Im not trying to smash on it everyday and I agree I've spent 10 grand and im no where near 10's hell id be lucky to pull low 13's at this point car does pull sort of strong though LOL but it still needs parts and a good tune to get the true satisfaction out of it but I wont be running 9's anytime soon, I just wanted to be able to beat me Stock VR-4 and im still not able to. Whats funny is that the 3000gt Vr-4 crowd told me to invest in the eclipse and build it up vs. the 3000gt but im still not there 10k later smdh.

You have a realistic perspective, and I'm glad you understand just how expensive this game is, especially if you are concerned with using quality parts. I was kind of using that to illustrate a point about just how retarded some DSM'ers can be sometimes, and you are right, the reputation of the typical DSM owner is what ruins the market value for the resale of them.

While I honestly don't believe DSM's will ever have any real collector value like the muscle cars, I do think that there are people out there who will take the time to seek out a well thought out, cleanly modified car like yours sounds like. The point being, you will probably have to wait a little longer to get your price, but that doesn't mean you won't get it.

From the way your car sounds, I don't think your asking price is beyond what I'd consider fair. Tell that kid to go pound sand, and see the quality of DSM that $2200 buys him. My advice, unless you are in a financial bind which requires selling, in which case you may just have to cut your losses, hold out for a more mature buyer who will appreciate what you have done to the car, and will take care of it in a similar fashion to what you have. You sound like one of the good DSM'ers, and I apologize if my reply to you came off harsh.

Can I ask you something else? Why are you selling it? Just looking to get into something different, or perhaps just frustrated with it?

If you are frustrated, then you have advanced to the next level LOL. That means you have seen first hand that you need to start with a solid platform; ie perform all the maintenance, make sure the car is in workable shape to begin modding, and all that shit costs a lot of money. Most DSM'ers throw a million dollars in mismatched parts at a piss poorly maintained car, and wonder why it doesn't run worth dick.

You know enough now from personal experience that whenever you see some idiot on the Internet saying a DSM can beat turbo Corvettes and shit for 10 grand in mods, you know that he doesn't have and will likely never have a fast car LOL.

If you have already spent that money to make the car into a solid platform, but you still like the car (it seems that you do anyway) then lay out a solid, REALISTIC plan for modifications. A really well matched evo3 16g setup on your car can yield mid-upper 300's at the wheels, and that thing will be a BLAST to drive every day, without a whole lot of sacrifice to driveability/reliability.

It all depends on your goals man.

Don't worry. There will come a time where we will have to make parts from scratch for our cars. Then I'm pretty sure the value will go up.

I've noticed parts are fading more and more I cant even get a downpipe right now LOL

Can I ask you something else? Why are you selling it? Just looking to get into something different, or perhaps just frustrated with it?

If you are frustrated, then you have advanced to the next level LOL. That means you have seen first hand that you need to start with a solid platform; ie perform all the maintenance, make sure the car is in workable shape to begin modding, and all that shit costs a lot of money. Most DSM'ers throw a million dollars in mismatched parts at a piss poorly maintained car, and wonder why it doesn't run worth dick.

You know enough now from personal experience that whenever you see some idiot on the Internet saying a DSM can beat turbo Corvettes and shit for 10 grand in mods, you know that he doesn't have and will likely never have a fast car LOL.

If you have already spent that money to make the car into a solid platform, but you still like the car (it seems that you do anyway) then lay out a solid, REALISTIC plan for modifications. A really well matched evo3 16g setup on your car can yield mid-upper 300's at the wheels, and that thing will be a BLAST to drive every day, without a whole lot of sacrifice to driveability/reliability.

It all depends on your goals man.

The automatic is whats bugging me , plus I changed out the front case gaskets along with the oil gaskets ,head gaskets, and whatever else I can think of because it the were all leaking only to have the oil pan gasket and the front case gasket leak again LOL which is frustrating, I was told by a reputable member that I could yield somewhere around 260 whp to me I think that would be close to my goal of beating a stock VR-4 considering the weight ratio between the two but then agian stovck vr-4's run a 4.8 stock 0-60. Theres 3 things I'm missing a Torque converter, a set of cams, and of course a down-pipe LOL because there out of stock everywhere. I've wanted to see what a stick was like or try out an RX-8
There is no way in my experience that 10k is going to touch a twin turbo corvette

I've noticed parts are fading more and more I cant even get a downpipe right now LOL

The automatic is whats bugging me , plus I changed out the front case gaskets along with the oil gaskets ,head gaskets, and whatever else I can think of because it the were all leaking only to have the oil pan gasket and the front case gasket leak again LOL which is frustrating, I was told by a reputable member that I could yield somewhere around 260 whp to me I think that would be close to my goal of beating a stock VR-4 considering the weight ratio between the two but then agian stovck vr-4's run a 4.8 stock 0-60. Theres 3 things I'm missing a Torque converter, a set of cams, and of course a down-pipe LOL because there out of stock everywhere. I've wanted to see what a stick was like or try out an RX-8
There is no way in my experience that 10k is going to touch a twin turbo corvette

100$ on ebay.

Nobody wants a 20 year old rusted shitbox that holds way less value on the market than in your mind. One man's treasure is another man's junk. And as more aftermarket companies seem to be leaving the DSMs behind, I graciously accept parts from other's part out, as sad as it may seem. I haven't bought a new part, except for maintenance, in a while.

Nobody wants a 20 year old rusted shitbox that holds way less value on the market than in your mind. One man's treasure is another man's junk. And as more aftermarket companies seem to be leaving the DSMs behind, I graciously accept parts from other's part out, as sad as it may seem. I haven't bought a new part, except for maintenance, in a while.

I dont agree with the shit box comment but I do see the aftermarket scene depleting when it comes to dsm's which tells me if you want an upgraded DSM its going to get harder and harder to find one.

100$ on ebay.

Do you have a link I seen one with a O2 housing for $148 I dont know how good they are though

I would be hard pressed to get $3500-4k my 85k mile cream puff with a folder of like 15k in receipts .. Dsm arent work much unless its fully dialed in.

Still a lot of good vendors out there and the dsm scene is strong (## in norcal you should know)

As for the downpipe i was running 106 mph in the 1/4 on a stock downpipe n t28 which should take care of a vr4 so maybe just run a cutout or something

I still think the dsm was the cheapest import car to get to the 12's it has its ups n downs but tat 4g63 ooo baby

People say stuff like "dat 4g63" but I don't think they really understand what they are saying. You guys seem to forget why a DSM can be fast in the first place. There is nothing special about the 4g63, but if you throw 30 pounds of boost at ANYTHING it's bound to make some horsepower.

Without a turbocharger, 'dat 4g63' makes an axle snapping 135hp.

My wife's NA Kia Optima makes 200hp, which is 5hp more than even 'dat turbo 4g63' (90-94 anyway).

I apologize for the dose of reality, and we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

I would be hard pressed to get $3500-4k my 85k mile cream puff with a folder of like 15k in receipts .. Dsm arent work much unless its fully dialed in.

Still a lot of good vendors out there and the dsm scene is strong (## in norcal you should know)

As for the downpipe i was running 106 mph in the 1/4 on a stock downpipe n t28 which should take care of a vr4 so maybe just run a cutout or something

I still think the dsm was the cheapest import car to get to the 12's it has its ups n downs but tat 4g63 ooo baby

What do you mean by cutout? I can get a downpipe I found one but im seeing thats its completley worthless with a stock cat

Its not necessarily the fact that any motor will make good power with 30lbs of boost thrown at it, it's that the 4g63 will handle it in stock form. I think that's what he meant by "dat 4g63". No one really cares about the 4g63's N/A power because well, if you're trying to make power with it in N/A form then you are doing something horribly wrong. I praise it because my bone stock high mileage 6 bolt before I did a full rebuild took 28psi from my 50 trim driven hard on a daily basis. And the rebuild wasn't even from failure, just to freshen it up.

A cut out is a section of the exhaust that bypasses the rest of the exhaust either electronically or manually do you basically are having an open down pipe and directing exhaust gases out of the cut out rather than the muffler at the rear of the car.

A cut out is a section of the exhaust that bypasses the rest of the exhaust either electronically or manually do you basically are having an open down pipe and directing exhaust gases out of the cut out rather than the muffler at the rear of the car.

wont a open dump work ? also if I got a downpipe it would pretty much be worthless with a stock cat right? Is there a catshell or something I could use with a straight pipe, Im not really feeling the gutted cat thing because it creates turbalance im looking for free flow

Please read teh FAQs and noob forum. You don't want a prospective buyer reading this level of questioning...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back