The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Eclipse: A Collector's Car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salty-Seagull

Supporting Member
Jul 16, 2019
Kimball, Michigan
Found this on Facebook: https://autowise.com/future-classic-cars/

Excerpt from the Eclipse portion:
Because the tuner scene so adored them, the trick will be finding one that hasn’t been beaten on or distastefully modified. But Hagerty’s data appears to show that more buyers are treating these cars as potential future classic cars.

The number of quotes for the 2G Eclipse has grown by 19.4% in the past 12 months, while average quote values have increased by 3.9% year over year. That growth is promising, given that quote values have increased by just 6% in the past five years. And remember when we said interest from millennials is a good sign of future collectability? The Mitsubishi Eclipse has the highest share of quotes from millennials on this list at 57%.

I wonder how many of these cars are still out there, and of those how many are in a preserved OE state. 🤔

I believe the Media has much to do with the rising price also. With the release of the Fast & Furious and the 2G Mitsubishi in the staring role made it a hit with the younger generation. My little gem played a staring role in 2Fast 2Furious .

Every year 3 2g Eclipses hit my local junkyard... I say this to point out that their rarity increases constantly. Rarity isn't always directly related to price. But when a car is considered a collector's item, certain collectors are willing to pay more for them. I would imagine in a few years the prices of bone stock Eclipses and tastefully modified Eclipses will be pretty high. It's only a waiting game though. One day we'll see.

I'm not too worried about the value of mine because it's certainly a keeper. But I may have to break the bank at some point if I find another Eclipse that I feel is worth saving.

Yeah, I plan to continue factory upgrading while appearing stock. But yeah someone comes up to me asking to sell it and has a bag full of cash and its 2x more then I put into my Talon Spyder AWD I may have part ways with her...but again every year it's getting harder and harder to come by well taken care DSM its been awhile since I've seen a 2g junk yard

In BC, they are...or will be considered collector cars very soon.

You can even get special "collector" plates for them if you meet the criteria.

In BC, they are...or will be considered collector cars very soon.

You can even get special "collector" plates for them if you meet the criteria.

I've been patiently waiting for my car to be old enough for antique tags (25 years old, never have to pay for registration again, no more emissions testing). In January, that will finally happen.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back