The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

2g easy brake upgrade using cobalt ss turbo brembo monoblock calipers

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleeperX2013

Proven Member
May 5, 2013
Omaha, Nebraska
So yeah guys thought I would share this with you. Cobalt ss turbo brembo monoblock calipers 30 minute upgrade. All you need is the calipers bolts and a die grinder with a small diameter metal bit. These calipers almost bolt directly on the 2g front spindles . You need to awl out one of the factory spindle holes for the factory 2g caliper bracket about an 1/8 of an inch and then they bolt right on. You can use factory rotors like I have pictured as of right now, but you have room for evo 8 / 9 rotors which I will be doing as soon as they arrive. I figured out all of this by mistake and am very pleased with the upgrade. It literally took me 45 minutes for both sides

Is using an 05 outlander rotor with Brembo calipers really an upgrade over the bolt-on (no hogging holes) 05 Outlander "Bigger Big Brake upgrade" ?

You're not gaining any thermal reserves.

Are the 4 smaller pistons in the Brembos giving any more clamping force then the 2 big pistons in the Mitsu parts?

I've seen bigger calipers on smaller rotors before on a different site I frequent, and it's usually a cosmetic upgrade. :)

Is using an 05 outlander rotor with Brembo calipers really an upgrade over the bolt-on (no hogging holes) 05 Outlander "Bigger Big Brake upgrade" ?

You're not gaining any thermal reserves.

Are the 4 smaller pistons in the Brembos giving any more clamping force then the 2 big pistons in the Mitsu parts?

I've seen bigger calipers on smaller rotors before on a different site I frequent, and it's usually a cosmetic upgrade. :)

I think the answer to your question would really depend on pad compound...

the 4 piston brembos likely have more clamping force then the outlander brakes (which I used to have and work great actually, I only got rid of them because I came across a deal on a 13" Cobra/PBR setup) but without quality pads its likely not much better.

last I checked, when I bought my outlander brackets, they were nearly out of stock across the US.

Sweet write up, can't wait to see how everything works out. I'm just in the process of doing a front brake upgrade. I was going to spend the extra buck on the Stoptech Big Brake kit, Just cause I did this upgrade on my old 02' Audi S4 and they were amazing, they best brakes I've ever used. So please let us know how you make out. You Could always try Photobucket.com to upload Pics too.

Justin

Any update on this? I am definitely interested as to how this turned out

Thanks

From what everyone has said in this thread, no, they will not clear the stock GSX rims. I am 99% sure they wont clear the GST rims either because of their design and size

Interesting mod, not sure if it's worth the effort for a little increase in clamping force. The increase in the diameter of the Evo rotors accounts for the serious increase in braking force one several accounts, one is the increased torque of the larger diameter rotor, second is the better heat dissipation of the larger rotor due to more surface area and larger vented area, third is the larger diameter of the caliper bore which, when properly accounted for with master cylinder diameter makes for more clamping force. One question I haven't seen anyone else ask is what is the pedal feel? I know with the Evo Brembos you need to increase the diameter of the master cylinder bore to account for the increase in volume of the caliper or you will have a very mushy pedal.

I guess this thread never got a final answer regarding the correct rotor to use...Its old but someone else had to try it???

Ok since the there wasn't a direct answer to using the Cobalt Brembo I began to scarily do it...I used 05 outlander rotors with a 16inch rim. I have a slight rub to the rim from the lower part of the brembo slight rub. Take a look at the pictures I also used 10mm Back spacing off the rotor. I will change it because in order to center the Outlander Rotor to the Brembo Caliper it will need a 1mm spacer behind the rotor. After that I will use 9mm spacer for the rim to fit.

I love the OZ F1 Racing wheels hence I'm going thru the trouble to fit them. To each his own right.

Take a look tell me what ya think... everyone has an opinion. Let's here them

Attachments

• IMG_0152.JPG
    IMG_0152.JPG
    262.4 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0154.JPG
    IMG_0154.JPG
    268.4 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0151.JPG
    IMG_0151.JPG
    331.6 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_0150.JPG
    IMG_0150.JPG
    264.6 KB · Views: 185
This is an awesome find if you can find a set cheap enough but if you are buying a new set just go cts-v best cheap brake upgrade and it's like 550-600$ start to finish

But again
..awesome find

This is a great option for those wanting a 16" wheel. It might be good for those that drag race on 16"ers to get that extra stopping power and still use drag slicks.

I will change it because in order to center the Outlander Rotor to the Brembo Caliper it will need a 1mm spacer behind the rotor. After that I will use 9mm spacer for the rim to fit.

1mm is an extremely small difference in offset. Would it be possible to just shim the side of the pads that's offset using a 1mm shim spacer? That would center the pad surfaces back to track. If there is enough room in there it might be a solution. Can't really say as I don't know the rotor thickness vs the caliper.

This is a great option for those wanting a 16" wheel. It might be good for those that drag race on 16"ers to get that extra stopping power and still use drag slicks.

1mm is an extremely small difference in offset. Would it be possible to just shim the side of the pads that's offset using a 1mm shim spacer? That would center the pad surfaces back to track. If there is enough room in there it might be a solution. Can't really say as I don't know the rotor thickness vs the caliper.

Could be possible but I just want the rotor centered but I will look at the options

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back