The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

2G DSM or Evo CAS?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadian_CD9A

Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2012
Winnipeg, MB_Canada
Possibly a rookie question, but stick with me.

I'm converting to the Kiggly crank trigger in my early 7-bolt car (Evo 1) and need to pick a CAS. The housing and sensor of the CAS is the same between DSM & Evo, but the bolt into the cam and the trigger cylinder are different. I don't think my camshafts are set up for the CAS, so the intake cam has to be tapped - the thread on 97-99 DSM CAS bolt is M8x1.25, while the Evo is M10x1.25. So I need to pick the bolt I'm going to use, but my question is in regards to the cylinder specifically - does it matter what CAS cylinder is used? Are the trigger patterns exactly the same? And would drilling the cam for the larger bolt affect their resale value in any way?

Evo 7-9 style (MD375814) which uses MD368730 bolt:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

DSM & Evo 4-6 style (MD327621) which uses MF241261 bolt:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but since some people run EVO 8 cams w/ its cylinder on EVO 4-6 or EVO 8 ECU on a DSM, I think it doesn't matter what cylinder you use.
My guess, why the bolt size is different is because of the cam structure. From EVO 7, the cams are hollow structure.
As for the resale price, I don't think it would affect the price much but maybe you would have buyers limited.

I could be wrong but since some people run EVO 8 cams w/ its cylinder on EVO 4-6 or EVO 8 ECU on a DSM, I think it doesn't matter what cylinder you use.
My guess, why the bolt size is different is because of the cam structure. From EVO 7, the cams are hollow structure.
As for the resale price, I don't think it would affect the price much but maybe you would have buyers limited.

The management aspect makes a lot of sense, actually. Thank you for pointing that out. Doing some digging in some threads from the UK, people talk about people swapping the cylinder and bolt to put later cams into an earlier car. I'll go with the big bolt right off the bat on the Evo setup, they can still be found used easily.

Last edited:
Myself, I'll be using a Haltech - I have a PS1000 jumper harness, but I need the features of an Elite 1500, so I'll probably make the jump. I just didn't want to make the cams worth a lot less by drilling a bolt/trigger that the DSM CAS can't read.

Doing some digging in some threads from the UK, people talk about people swapping the cylinder and bolt to put later cams into an earlier car.
Yeah because it's a kind of upgrade, lighter and the 8 MR cams spec is a bit more aggressive.

Seems to be the large tooth that people remove from the cam trigger. I'll give it a go.

I checked and my JUN cam is drilled for the Evo 4-6 style sensor, which I believe is the same as DSM, so I bought the whole assembly new.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back