The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G 2g DSM Engine Bay Electrical Connections

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This article is designed to help 2g owners identify all the plugs in the engine bay.

The photos and wire colors were based off of a 1999 Eclipse GSX, so other years and models may vary in location and wire color.

I would like to give a HUGE thanks to turbosax2 for helping with the photography and the documentation for the article!!

The way the tech article will be set up will be as follows:

This post will have the master list of all the connectors. Each connector will then have it's own separate post below which will contain a little description and a few pictures and diagrams. The first picture will be an overview shot to show the general location of the plug. The plug will be circled in green. The next picture will show the plug itself. Following that will be a picture of the back of the plug to show how the wires are inserted into the plug as well as wire color. And lastly will be a diagram showing the arrangement/layout of the wires as well as the wire colors. These diagrams will always be viewed when looking at the back of the plug with the clip (the part that holds the plug in) on the top.

Some descriptions will come from the service manual and others from Virtual Tour of the DSM Engine Bay - Quadrant map.

Master List
1. Manifold Differential Pressure (MDP) Sensor
2. Fuel Injector 1
3. Fuel Injector 2
4. Fuel Injector 3
5. Fuel Injector 4
6. Ignition Coil (Coil Pack)
7. Ignition Power Transistor
8. Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)
9. Knock Sensor
10. Camshaft Position Sensor
11. Auto-Cruise Control Vacuum Pump (Cruise Control Actuator)
12. Volume Airflow Sensor [Mass Airflow Sensor (MAS)]
13. Fuel Pressure Solenoid (FPS) Valve
14. Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Control Solenoid
15. Condenser Fan Motor [Air Conditioning (A/C) Fan]
16. Brake Fluid Level Switch
17. Radiator Fan Motor [Main Fan]
18. Hood Switch
19. Dual Pressure Switch (AC)
20. Capacitor (Noise Condenser)
21. Left Headlight
22. Left Combination Light (Parking)
23. Left Side Marker
24. Right Headlight
25. Right Combination Light (Parking)
26. Right Side Marker
27. Evaporative Purge Solenoid
28. Theft Alarm Horn
29. Idle Air Control Motor (ISC, IAC)
30. Turbocharger Waste Gate Solenoid Valve [Boost Control Solenoid (BCS)]
31. Back-up Light Switch
32. Front Wiring Harness and Control Wiring Harness Combination
33. Evaporative Purge Solenoid to ECU Harness Connector
34. Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS)
35. EVAP Emission Purge Control Solenoid Valve
36. Air Conditioning (A/C) Compressor
37. Engine Coolant Temperature Gauge Unit
38. Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
39. Heated Oxygen Sensor (Front O2 Sensor)
40. Starter Solenoid
41. Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)
42. Positive Battery Cable/Starter Motor
43. Left Fog Light
44. Right Fog Light
45. Generator (Alternator Power)
46. Generator (Alternator)
47. Power Steering Pressure Switch
48. Horn
49. Oil Pressure Switch (Dummy Light)
50. Oil Pressure Gauge Unit
51. Ignition Suppression Resistor (Fuel Injector Resistor Box)
52. Engine Speed Detection Connector
53. Windshield Wiper Motor
54. ABS Hydraulic Brake Unit
55. Left ABS Sensor
56. Right ABS Sensor

Wire Color Key
B = Black
Lg = Light green
Sb = Sky blue
V = Violet
O = Orange
Y = Yellow
Br = Brown
G = Green
Gr = Gray
L = Blue
P = Pink
R = Red
W = White

Here's an example on how to read the diagrams.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

If you look at the picture, you'll notice there is 2 wires coming out the back of the connector. The diagram has 2 boxes that contain letters from the color code list above. The first box contains RSb. The first letter is the main wire color - red. The second letter (if applicable) deals with the stripe color, which in this case is sky blue as you can see in the picture. The second box contains a G for green. There is no stripe on this wire. These diagrams only deal with main wire color and stripe color. Some of the diagrams contain blank boxes which just means there is no wire there.

Last edited by a moderator:
51. Engine Speed Detection Connector

***This plug does not connect to anything else. The wires that run into this plug must stay connected. You can chop the plug off, but you must make sure the wires are securely connected (preferably soldered) or the car will not start.

KUM 250(DSD) Unsealed Series 1 Position Female Housing [White] {P.P} [PH776-01015] : New United Race Tech, New United Race Tech

Brian,

Somebody asked me about this. What you have pictured is not the Fuel Pump Check Connector but the Engine Speed Detection Connector (Engine bay RPM connector 1/2 actual RPM). It only has one pin and both of the wires run to it. Like on the 1G's, the output of the PTM for coil 1 (black/white) runs from the PTM to this connector and back to the coil on the other wire (blue/red). If somebody were to cut this connector out they would loose half their cylinders.

The Fuel Pump Check Connector is another single pin connector (maybe black) with a smaller single black with blue stripe wire to it. It's A-58 in the diagrams and this one is A-59.

Brian,

Somebody asked me about this. What you have pictured is not the Fuel Pump Check Connector but the Engine Speed Detection Connector (Engine bay RPM connector 1/2 actual RPM). It only has one pin and both of the wires run to it. Like on the 1G's, the output of the PTM for coil 1 (black/white) runs from the PTM to this connector and back to the coil on the other wire (blue/red). If somebody were to cut this connector out they would loose half their cylinders.

The Fuel Pump Check Connector is another single pin connector (maybe black) with a smaller single black with blue stripe wire to it. It's A-58 in the diagrams and this one is A-59.

Thanks Steve. I started to wonder about that after Toan cut his off, as well as looking at the virtual 2g engine bay. I have corrected the link and title of that post. Now I'll have to see if I can get a picture of the fuel pump check connector to add to this list. And you are correct that the fuel pump check connector is black.

Brown - used to ground timing (2ga plug only). The wire runs to ECU pin 52.
Blue - engine speed detection connector
Black - fuel pump test connector

You can eliminate the black and brown plugs if you want.

The blue one either needs to stay, or if you want to eliminate it, solder both the wires together and cover them with tape or heat shrink. They need to stay connected or the car will not run because the wire runs from the PTU to here and then back on the other wire to the coil.

I know this is older but a huge thanks snowborder714!! (AKA Brian.)

I don’t see description next to everyone or am I missing something?
I found this skinny one unplugged and trying to find out what it is.

Thanks

Ha that’s funny, with all the other issues I been trying to work out, I completely forgot about this connection.

Thanks though guys

The links are down I need the housings and holder for my right headlight! Do you know anywhere I could get them? Please and thank you! I have a thread asking for help about it!

How about the coolant reservoir sensor plug:

I believe this was a 2ga only thing (really jogging my memory right now!) and this article was built around a 2gb harness, which is why certain connectors are not included here.

reviving this thread but where does the starter solenoid plug into ? I see it by the bell housing but don’t have a plug for it to connect to?

If you look at the link I posted you can see it's the starter with the first picture being the B+ cable from the battery to the starter solenoid and the second being the trigger wire for the starter solenoid.

Here's the wiring diagrams for the starter. A-35 is the connector, black/yellow wire.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back