The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G 2G DSM Super 8.8 IRS rear subframe kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99gst_racer

Apr 5, 2003
Coloma, Michigan
Hey all! I just wanted to show some pics of a project we've been working on this year. This subframe kit will allow you to bolt in a Ford Super 88, 8.8" IRS rearend into any 2G DSM. The 8.8 that we chose to build around comes from the 15+ Mustang. These are strong rearends, available in aluminum or iron housings, and available new or used. Ring and pinion sets are available to match a/t and m/t final drives. Subframe weight is came in at about 26 lbs. Control arm pick-up points are the same as OE, so our existing VMC control arms will fit with this.

We’re looking forward to seeing the crew at Boostin Performance get this kit deployed on the Red demon V2 car and start putting some passes on it! As of right now, they're still rocking the 3Kgt rear subframe that we built for them 4-5 years ago. :)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Good job Paul. I’ve wondered why nobody had done this yet. You can get those diffs for dirt cheap, (like 700 bucks) brand new if you ever can manage to break one. The only downside is they’re huge and heavy relative to ours.

I have a friend with a pretty heavy 70’s vette that dynod just north of 800 lbft torque. He uses one of these with some bastard axles from a Ford Expedition and c7 hubs and hasn’t managed to break any of it yet. Hopefully we can get it to the track this season and really abuse it.

Jake 8.8 are really not that heavy, they are lighter than an rx8 one, dont know how heavy are ours, the Expedition one is different on the front mounts and a little heavier than the Mustang.

Just curious... what would someone do about axles? Is it as simple as just swapping the inner cups?

It's gonna be a custom setup, Basically you would have someone like DSS make new bars that adapt the 8.8 cups to whatever outers. If you are 1g guy I'd suggest getting 3kgt outer joints and cups. 2g's idk, I think dss has a setup there. But basically you gotta upgrade the outer cups too or else you are just pissing in the wind.

I did a set of rear bars for scott f's evo 2, to put a 3kgt rear diff in it. We were stuck using the the stock outers on it at the time, and it eventually broke the bar I made where it necked down to go into the outer joint.

Been waiting for this setup for a bit now. Is it on the website Paul?
It's not on the website yet. We're waiting for the Red Demon to beat on it for a while before offering them up for sale. We have yet to come up with a price as well.

Just curious... what would someone do about axles? Is it as simple as just swapping the inner cups?
DSS can handle custom axles the same way they do for guys running the 3000GT rearend. You tell them what rearend and hubs you're running and the distance between the rearend and hubs on each side, and they can whip up a custom set.

What do we do about the drives haft? The oem one snd the mustang are different no? You would then need to get a custom ds with rear axles correct?

This is amazing, you are single handedly taking this platform to another level with this release. I'm so glad I was too poor to afford all of the previous options and now that we have truly reached the pinnacle of dsm rear end upgrades, let the saving up begin!

Is there any chance you will accept a kidney as payment?

Last edited:
What do we do about the drives haft? The oem one snd the mustang are different no? You would then need to get a custom ds with rear axles correct?
DSS can handle the custom driveshaft as well.

This is amazing, you are single handedly taking this platform to another level with this release. I'm so glad I was too poor to afford all of the previous options and now that we have truly reached the pinnacle of dsm rear end upgrades, let the saving up begin!

Is there any chance you will accept a kidney as payment?
Thank you! We'll continue working at growing product availability for this platform.

Another random question: what about a swaybar? I'm not seeing mounting points or connections for one.

Another random question: what about a swaybar? I'm not seeing mounting points or connections for one.
Good question. My jig has locating provisions to add a DSM-style sway bar to this. This subframe, however, is going on a car that has a frame-mounted torsion style sway bar, so nothing needed to be added to this subframe for it. And of memory serves me, they have the sway bar's end link connected directly to the knuckles. That allows them to run my lightweight LCA's.

Last edited:
This is awesome Paul! I have been looking at the Mustang diffs and wondering about getting a sub frame made for the 2g. Should have known you were already on it!

Good question. My jig has locating provisions to add a DSM-style sway bar to this. This subframe, however, is going on a car that has a frame-mounted torsion style sway bar, so nothing needed to be added to this subframe for it. And of memory serves me, they have the sway bar's end link connected directly to the knuckles. That allows them to run my lightweight LCA's.
Hey Paul it's joshva, do you happen to know what torsion sway bar that guy is using? I been online almost all day trying to find a universal or some that I could mod to work on the front and rear of my 2g with tube subframes

Hey Paul it's joshva, do you happen to know what torsion sway bar that guy is using? I been online almost all day trying to find a universal or some that I could mod to work on the front and rear of my 2g with tube subframes
I have no clue what they're using.

I do have a few torsion sway bars here though. If you have a way to calculate the rate you need, I probably have you covered. I have bushings and a few torsion arms too. I've been wanting to develop a DSM torsion kit for years but just haven't found the time.

Update!!! The team at Boostin Performance finally got some CV shafts and a driveshaft squared away. They recently got everything installed just in time for World Cup Finals in Maryland. This thing looks tough as nails under their car!!! Hoping we can see them best their 6.98 pass from earlier this year. :hellyeah:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back