The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

!!!!! 2G Custom Ratio steering rack and Pinion! Survey only!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EC17PSE

Freelancer
Nov 1, 2008
London, UK, Europe
So as you all beginning to know I love to mingle with our cars and get new tech for them and today is no different!

This is just a survey to see who would be interested IF i was to look into getting these made.

I spoke to Quaife about producing a better ratio rack and pinion to use in our OEM housings!!! this means you will do less turning of the steering wheel to get more steering angle! great for all you who feel the oem setup is a tad weak and you put too much input into steering.

currently the details will be for a manual rack! 2G (properly Depowered) as thats all i have currently, I will look into a Power steering version but would have to be from another company or if they can do both then great,

These details are from Quaife and for the manual set only!!! I would be sending them my rack I have spare to get all data from and to draw it up and then they will tell me what they advise as a good ratio and what will fit and feel nice inside without being notchy etc. until I do this I dont know a detailed/exact price but they have told me a guide price which is the max and although it is a max pricing it might not be close to it. so it might be alot less then they tell me currently as a guide.

max guide was $400 for the rack and pinion only, some of their kits also come in around $200 ish so it is a big range, shipping would be ontop or see below for more details..

They advised me for the price to be at its lowest they need to do batches of 30 or more, the less are done the more they rise for each batch, He told me a few customers do similar to what I am wanting to do and they have done several batches now so are very happy to help and deal with me as an individual to take this on. It also means new parts for our old age cars with new age parts and replacement parts that are ever growing to us!

if this was to go ahead I would work with EMW who does the racks for us and Me in the past to make it all a breeze for the conversion and rebuild to your oem rack housing, which means bulk shipping to him so less overall cost to you all!

Please feel free to comment and ask any question you may have and I will try my best to answer them for you

Thank you and hope I can continue to provide new parts for these cars for a long time!

Bobby
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Edit!! New details are in and i have all details so please read!!

Hello everyone, PLEASE READ IT ALL CAREFULLY! its detailed as much as possible so dont miss any parts! I will add more if I missed stuff also

As I said I recently got all the info from Quaife who have been working on my rack to get it designed and quoted for me/us.

firstly Im trying to bring new items to the group with as many new company's, as the more we get the better our chassis can become once more.

The new rack and pinion will be a kit which will also include the pinion bearing, pinion seal, pinion bearing cap and housing modification drawing.
Yes it says modification! here is why.

our OEM racks have a ratio of 2.55 lock to lock and in the size we have they could only get it down to 2.4 lock to lock! which is not good at all over stock, so they said they looked and did some checks and if 2mm overall so 1mm each side was removed from the ID then they could make a larger pinion and get the ratio to 2.1 lock to lock! which is WAYYYY better and really good infact!
I asked about strength and they said it was fine and will still be strong enough because that housing is still plenty thick enough, (Quaife wont risk it if they deem it unsafe for use)

They wont entertain any first batches less then 30! which might be the issue and problem here but if it works out next batches could be less per order so im lead to believe. initial batches and development first time is always tricky on quantity's,

again Im trying to bring some great high quality, highly needed items to this platform! if it dont work out we will never have such nice things LOL

For this Kit it will be $310 Shipped! and thats them shipping to me and then me shipping in 1 pallet to EMW, if I had to do separate shipping for those wanting to do it themselves or someone else to do it then I (guess) another $50 for that shipping because of length of the item and some strong boxes I would need to order. but single pallet shipping is much more cost effective to you all and a better saving also with is passed to you all!

Those wanting power steering still please read! I have a few options for you,

1, is a company that makes EPW (electronic power steering) can design different kits from street to race programmable kits but are not very cheap about $800 to $2k
2, you can make your own kit from your desired parts of choice and there are many items now out there $-$$$
3, I have located a guy in the US that will make a bolt on kit for a 2G and is willing to make kits up in batches for those wanting them at a decent price with instructions, this is going to be the cheaper option and also bolt on with minimal wiring this would cost around $250, maybe a tad less the more he gets orders for!

so they are the options for guys wanting PS but will have to switch to EPS,

EWM (Eaton motorworks) will/would be doing all the rebuilds/conversions of the housings for those wanting that and he is going to be looking into the modification of the housing part soon, so i dont have any details of this total cost as of yet. $TBC

So thats it everyone, its what I have so far for you all on this,

if this sounds like something that you would be likely to get involved in let me know, those serious will be logged for some basic numbers down on paper to log it all properly now the details have been placed here of more info.

again this is just a survey currently but now more serious! haha

Thanks everyone for reading Bobby

any questons please do ask.

Last edited:
What is the input effort like compared to a powered rack? If it's not much more, I would be so down for one of these.

What is the input effort like compared to a powered rack? If it's not much more, I would be so down for one of these.
When still input is of course more because of friction, when moving though a proper rack designed for manual is real easy to use, i have had 2 cars as dailys with manual racks and i never comolained aoart from trying to park in tight spots but even then its still not that harsh really,

And because the ratio will be worked out precisely by them i think they can get it where its a nice smooth action so would be nice and easy to turn, what i read online is having the prelosd correct can have an effect on great steering feel,

But once they draw my rack up they can advise me on the best rstio for a nice feel and faster turning

I would be interested in a power steering version if it is ever offered.
Its something i can look into, just not from Quaife though,

I would be interested only in a powered rack.
Cool, i know it will me mixed whith who wants what so i shall look into both versions, i have just started with the manual ones as i have them details now,

What i going to do is see if i can find a place that is able to do both as that should help make it easier for development and perhaps cost, so i shall see what i can do.

Keep coming at with with prefered racks so i can at least see the numbers for both,

Last edited:
Totally jealous that you 2g guys are even thinking about this right now!
If this works i could perhaps look into a 1G version eventually, not saying never but will be after of course,

Im trying to cater for all guys and cars here if i can

In for a power rack. I've been looking at quaife units for honda and such recently and thought why not our car. Get it done Bobby.
Yeah i been wondering why its not been looked at aswel, better late then never right,

I the power units wont be Quaife but another good company that produces stuff, i have a few companys to call and some business cards i have from the Autosport show this year so i do have some good people to get details from,

I will be back

I'm in. Don't mind manual rack as long as its a true manual conversion. Those are easy to drive. If not, power version for me. Depowered rack is too hard in transitions for autocross. I drove a miata with a depowered rack at an event and it was terrible. Even on its skinny tires. I could only imagine how much worse it would be in my car with 285 hoosiers.

EDIT: Bobby for President

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back