The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

!!!!! 2G Custom Ratio steering rack and Pinion! Survey only!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm in. Don't mind manual rack as long as its a true manual conversion. Those are easy to drive. If not, power version for me. Depowered rack is too hard in transitions for autocross. I drove a miata with a depowered rack at an event and it was terrible. Even on its skinny tires. I could only imagine how much worse it would be in my car with 285 hoosiers.

EDIT: Bobby for President
The rack would be properly depowered and it is basically making the rack a manual rack, its not just looping lines which does suck, so there will be no resistance from the PS section,

If they can .ake the rack better in the PS housing then they will and they already know its been properly depowered.

So, to clarify, the expectation is that the price they give would be for the rack and pinion only, and that I would replace the the rack and pinion in my own unit when they arrive?

I'm interested, but I'm not sure if I'd want manual or power. I DD two other cars with manual steering but the largest is half the weight of the DSM so I'm hesitant to go that route in something with this much weight over the front wheels. My rack leaks pretty badly right now so I will need to have the rack out anyway to fix it, so replacing some components is fine with me. Having no PS fluid and no PS belt would be a huge plus.

EDIT: I missed the part about EMW. So the parts would go directly to EMW and we would ship our racks to them and have them do the conversion?

Last edited:
So, to clarify, the expectation is that the price they give would be for the rack and pinion only, and that I would replace the the rack and pinion in my own unit when they arrive?

I'm interested, but I'm not sure if I'd want manual or power. I DD two other cars with manual steering but the largest is half the weight of the DSM so I'm hesitant to go that route in something with this much weight over the front wheels. My rack leaks pretty badly right now so I will need to have the rack out anyway to fix it, so replacing some components is fine with me. Having no PS fluid and no PS belt would be a huge plus.

EDIT: I missed the part about EMW. So the parts would go directly to EMW and we would ship our racks to them and have them do the conversion?
That ia correct yes, the final price they give plus what ever it is to ship them over, and itz the cost of the rack shaft and pinion only, the housing is oem.

There is a way to have a new cast alloy housing made and it will be lighter but we dont and wont have the numbers for that to proceed forward! As its just too costly for the initial setup costs.

And that is correct about EMW, he will do all the work and a rebuild with the newly made parts, unless the person wanted to do it themself and has done it before. Doing this is the most logical and practical way to make it an easy progress for the rebuld/conversion.

Saw this when you first posted and was disappointed it would only be manual.

I am definitely in for one if you find someone to do a power rack!

Saw this when you first posted and was disappointed it would only be manual.

I am definitely in for one if you find someone to do a power rack!
Yeah it does limit it i know, im hopefully going to get some details from another company that can do both manual and PS ones,

I know this is for 2g but would it be possible for 1g? I would want evo ratio in power 1g rack. If it is possible pm with details. Thanks
Im not looking into 1G racks at the moment but i dont see why not if the 2G racks go ahead why i cannot sort the 1G cars out aswel

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I designed a custom rack and pinion a while back and couldn't keep the factory housing without using modified gear teeth geometry (huge expense for custom tooling). But, I would like to see what you find out from Quaife. I am willing to help in any phase of this project, design, FEA, testing... Just shoot me a PM with details.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I designed a custom rack and pinion a while back and couldn't keep the factory housing without using modified gear teeth geometry (huge expense for custom tooling). But, I would like to see what you find out from Quaife. I am willing to help in any phase of this project, design, FEA, testing... Just shoot me a PM with details.
With the teeth engagement they said both would be modified to suit what can fit inside the oem housing, they wont jam stuff in so its a matter of what CAN work and go them routes, the only option is a direct fit in this case as any machining to the housing is a hell no to be easy and cost effective solution.

I have another company thats lined up to price me for the power versions, they said a new housing can be cast from alloy but this would be a costly process but i need to get my rack to them to get an over cost break down and units needed for a good price structure etc etc, im trying to get this out to them next week to do their data and price me up,

Thanks for your input, and i shall be in touch to talk more about your setup anyway, thanks again for replying

I would be interested only in a powered rack.

I second this opinion. I planned on going to an electrohydraulic PS setup anyway. Having driven a couple of Autocross cars with full manual racks I can say from experience that they would be miserable to use if you only had a manual option with real sticky tires (ie what we all wish we could run all the time). Sticky race rubber makes for a hell of a workout without any power assist.

Needless to say, if you make this happen Bobby, I am in. Would be a hell of a lot easier than trying to retrofit an Evo or Mustang II rack in.

I was planning on using an EPS system with a manual rack. Getting rid of the hydraulics removes a bunch of complexity.

I second this opinion. I planned on going to an electrohydraulic PS setup anyway. Having driven a couple of Autocross cars with full manual racks I can say from experience that they would be miserable to use if you only had a manual option with real sticky tires (ie what we all wish we could run all the time). Sticky race rubber makes for a hell of a workout without any power assist.

Needless to say, if you make this happen Bobby, I am in. Would be a hell of a lot easier than trying to retrofit an Evo or Mustang II rack in.
I was planning on using an EPS system with a manual rack. Getting rid of the hydraulics removes a bunch of complexity.
Well this new place i found can offer a electro system for motorsport and its fully tuneable only thing is i doubt it will be the cheapest option, but i will get some prices and go from there.

I've actually considered changing mine to a manual rack but never liked the looped idea. No PS fluid over the alternator and one less belt, I may be in for a manual set. I think I can man up in parking lots for the less headache under the hood!

I've actually considered changing mine to a manual rack but never liked the looped idea. No PS fluid over the alternator and one less belt, I may be in for a manual set. I think I can man up in parking lots for the less headache under the hood!
doing the depower 100% correctly vs looping the lines is 2 VERY different results! people complain about the manual rack when half assing it but once done correctly the people who do it right say its not an issue,

but the wide tires does still pose the main issue but not everyone goes super wide, I might try it to just see how bad it really is then I can give accurate feedback, (this side of summer I hope)

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back