1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.

!!!!! 2G Custom Ratio steering rack and Pinion! Survey only!!!!!

Posted by ec17pse, Feb 19, 2018

Please Support VR Speed Factory
  1. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    So as you all beginning to know I love to mingle with our cars and get new tech for them and today is no different!

This is just a survey to see who would be interested IF i was to look into getting these made.

I spoke to Quaife about producing a better ratio rack and pinion to use in our OEM housings!!! this means you will do less turning of the steering wheel to get more steering angle! great for all you who feel the oem setup is a tad weak and you put too much input into steering.

currently the details will be for a manual rack! 2G (properly Depowered) as thats all i have currently, I will look into a Power steering version but would have to be from another company or if they can do both then great,

These details are from Quaife and for the manual set only!!! I would be sending them my rack I have spare to get all data from and to draw it up and then they will tell me what they advise as a good ratio and what will fit and feel nice inside without being notchy etc. until I do this I dont know a detailed/exact price but they have told me a guide price which is the max and although it is a max pricing it might not be close to it. so it might be alot less then they tell me currently as a guide.

max guide was $400 for the rack and pinion only, some of their kits also come in around $200 ish so it is a big range, shipping would be ontop or see below for more details..

They advised me for the price to be at its lowest they need to do batches of 30 or more, the less are done the more they rise for each batch, He told me a few customers do similar to what I am wanting to do and they have done several batches now so are very happy to help and deal with me as an individual to take this on. It also means new parts for our old age cars with new age parts and replacement parts that are ever growing to us!

if this was to go ahead I would work with EMW who does the racks for us and Me in the past to make it all a breeze for the conversion and rebuild to your oem rack housing, which means bulk shipping to him so less overall cost to you all!

Please feel free to comment and ask any question you may have and I will try my best to answer them for you

Thank you and hope I can continue to provide new parts for these cars for a long time!

Bobby
    Quaife rack and pinion.jpg

Edit!! New details are in and i have all details so please read!!

Hello everyone, PLEASE READ IT ALL CAREFULLY! its detailed as much as possible so dont miss any parts! I will add more if I missed stuff also

As I said I recently got all the info from Quaife who have been working on my rack to get it designed and quoted for me/us.

firstly Im trying to bring new items to the group with as many new company's, as the more we get the better our chassis can become once more.

The new rack and pinion will be a kit which will also include the pinion bearing, pinion seal, pinion bearing cap and housing modification drawing.
    Yes it says modification! here is why.

our OEM racks have a ratio of 2.55 lock to lock and in the size we have they could only get it down to 2.4 lock to lock! which is not good at all over stock, so they said they looked and did some checks and if 2mm overall so 1mm each side was removed from the ID then they could make a larger pinion and get the ratio to 2.1 lock to lock! which is WAYYYY better and really good infact!
    I asked about strength and they said it was fine and will still be strong enough because that housing is still plenty thick enough, (Quaife wont risk it if they deem it unsafe for use)

They wont entertain any first batches less then 30! which might be the issue and problem here but if it works out next batches could be less per order so im lead to believe. initial batches and development first time is always tricky on quantity's,

again Im trying to bring some great high quality, highly needed items to this platform! if it dont work out we will never have such nice things LOL

For this Kit it will be $310 Shipped! and thats them shipping to me and then me shipping in 1 pallet to EMW, if I had to do separate shipping for those wanting to do it themselves or someone else to do it then I (guess) another $50 for that shipping because of length of the item and some strong boxes I would need to order. but single pallet shipping is much more cost effective to you all and a better saving also with is passed to you all!

Those wanting power steering still please read! I have a few options for you,

1, is a company that makes EPW (electronic power steering) can design different kits from street to race programmable kits but are not very cheap about $800 to $2k
    2, you can make your own kit from your desired parts of choice and there are many items now out there $-$$$
    3, I have located a guy in the US that will make a bolt on kit for a 2G and is willing to make kits up in batches for those wanting them at a decent price with instructions, this is going to be the cheaper option and also bolt on with minimal wiring this would cost around $250, maybe a tad less the more he gets orders for!

so they are the options for guys wanting PS but will have to switch to EPS,

EWM (Eaton motorworks) will/would be doing all the rebuilds/conversions of the housings for those wanting that and he is going to be looking into the modification of the housing part soon, so i dont have any details of this total cost as of yet. $TBC

So thats it everyone, its what I have so far for you all on this,

if this sounds like something that you would be likely to get involved in let me know, those serious will be logged for some basic numbers down on paper to log it all properly now the details have been placed here of more info.

again this is just a survey currently but now more serious! haha

Thanks everyone for reading Bobby

any questons please do ask.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    My DSM:
    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

Road Race Build

175 whp   180.1 lb/ft
    Teezy and 2gmitsueclipse like this.
  2. kronus

kronus Proven Member

Joined Jan 15, 2006
    Provo, Utah
    What is the input effort like compared to a powered rack? If it's not much more, I would be so down for one of these.

3. jakk220

jakk220 Proven Member

Joined Nov 13, 2010
    Akron, Ohio
    I would be interested in a power steering version if it is ever offered.

My DSM:
    1997 Eagle Talon N/T (sold)

Autocross Build

manual
    1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Street Build

16g   manual
    SAKJR and TrevoREX like this.
  4. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    When still input is of course more because of friction, when moving though a proper rack designed for manual is real easy to use, i have had 2 cars as dailys with manual racks and i never comolained aoart from trying to park in tight spots but even then its still not that harsh really,

And because the ratio will be worked out precisely by them i think they can get it where its a nice smooth action so would be nice and easy to turn, what i read online is having the prelosd correct can have an effect on great steering feel,

But once they draw my rack up they can advise me on the best rstio for a nice feel and faster turning

My DSM:

Road Race Build

175 whp   180.1 lb/ft
  5. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    Its something i can look into, just not from Quaife though,

My DSM:

Road Race Build

175 whp   180.1 lb/ft
    SAKJR and TrevoREX like this.
  6. TSiAWD666

TSiAWD666 Supporting Member

Joined Aug 15, 2003
    Herndon, Virginia
    I would be interested only in a powered rack.

My DSM:
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Road Race Build

384 whp   391 lb/ft
    SAKJR likes this.
  7. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    Cool, i know it will me mixed whith who wants what so i shall look into both versions, i have just started with the manual ones as i have them details now,

My DSM:

Road Race Build

175 whp   180.1 lb/ft
  8. mitsumikey

mitsumikey Proven Member

Joined Mar 18, 2007
    Windsor, ON, Canada
    I could see trying at least one manual rack. Possibly 2

ec17pse likes this.
  9. chinola69

chinola69 Proven Member

Joined Sep 22, 2007
    Yonkers, New York
    Powered rack for me

My DSM:
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

14.840 @ 0.000 MPH
  10. MindBlowin03

MindBlowin03 Proven Member

Joined Apr 11, 2002
    Peckville, Pennsylvania
    I'm interested.

My DSM:
  11. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    In manual or power?

My DSM:

Road Race Build

175 whp   180.1 lb/ft
  12. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    What i going to do is see if i can find a place that is able to do both as that should help make it easier for development and perhaps cost, so i shall see what i can do.

Keep coming at with with prefered racks so i can at least see the numbers for both,

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    My DSM:

Road Race Build

175 whp   180.1 lb/ft
  13. GSXbooster

GSXbooster Proven Member

Joined Jun 3, 2003
    Centennial, Colorado
    Interested in a powered rack.

My DSM:
    1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Road Race Build

T25   manual
    1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (sold)

Road Race Build

370.9 whp   343.8 lb/ft
  14. red_devil

red_devil Proven Member

Joined Jul 13, 2005
    Cape Coral, Florida
    Power rack here

My DSM:
  15. slowwhite

slowwhite Proven Member

Joined Oct 27, 2013
    camden, South Carolina
    Powered rack

My DSM:
    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Road Race Build

GT30   manual

Road Race Build

425 whp   354 lb/ft
    1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (sold)

Drag Race Build

GT35   manual
  16. talon77

talon77 Proven Member

Joined Sep 12, 2004
    annapolis, Maryland
    Totally jealous that you 2g guys are even thinking about this right now!

My DSM:
    1994 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Road Race Build

345 whp   318 lb/ft
  17. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    If this works i could perhaps look into a 1G version eventually, not saying never but will be after of course,

Im trying to cater for all guys and cars here if i can

My DSM:

Road Race Build

175 whp   180.1 lb/ft
    Teezy and talon77 like this.
  18. greengoblin

greengoblin Supporting Vendor

Joined Mar 10, 2006
    McKinney, Texas
    In for a power rack. I've been looking at quaife units for honda and such recently and thought why not our car. Get it done Bobby.

My DSM:
    1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

12.830 @ 120.000 MPH
  19. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    Yeah i been wondering why its not been looked at aswel, better late then never right,

I the power units wont be Quaife but another good company that produces stuff, i have a few companys to call and some business cards i have from the Autosport show this year so i do have some good people to get details from,

I will be back

My DSM:

Road Race Build

175 whp   180.1 lb/ft
    greengoblin likes this.
  20. MindBlowin03

MindBlowin03 Proven Member

Joined Apr 11, 2002
    Peckville, Pennsylvania
    Manual

My DSM:
  21. TalonEsi_96

TalonEsi_96 Proven Member

Joined Dec 14, 2008
    Minot, North Dakota
    I'd be interested in the manual one.

My DSM:
    1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Street Build

20g   manual
  22. idkiliketurbos

idkiliketurbos Proven Member

Joined Mar 2, 2009
    Fox Valley, Wisconsin
    Power

My DSM:

Street Build

12.055 @ 120.44 MPH
  23. 96dsmftw

96dsmftw Proven Member

Joined Jun 23, 2011
    Richmond, Kentucky
    Interested in a powered version

My DSM:

Autocross Build

16g   manual
  24. llxkevinxll

llxkevinxll Proven Member

Joined Jan 29, 2012
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Would have to be a powered version for me as well.

My DSM:
    1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Autocross Build

13.149 @ 103.36 MPH
    1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Street Build

16g   manual
  25. Black95TSIawd

Black95TSIawd Proven Member

Joined Jan 28, 2003
    Dirty, New Jersey
    I'm in. Don't mind manual rack as long as its a true manual conversion. Those are easy to drive. If not, power version for me. Depowered rack is too hard in transitions for autocross. I drove a miata with a depowered rack at an event and it was terrible. Even on its skinny tires. I could only imagine how much worse it would be in my car with 285 hoosiers.

EDIT: Bobby for President

My DSM:
    1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

184.4 whp   251.0 lb/ft
    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (sold)

Drag Race Build

20g   manual
    10's or bust likes this.