The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

2G base ignition timing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

regulator213

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 10, 2009
McGuire AFB, New_Jersey
is it possible to adjust or check base ignition timing without the MUT ll scan tool on a 2GB?

Its not adjustable. You can use a simple datalogger to see where the ecu wants it, and use a timing light to make sure its fairly close.

is it possible to adjust or check base ignition timing without the MUT ll scan tool on a 2GB?

The 98-99 ecus do not have the Base Ignition Timing Terminal feature.

You need a MUT Tool, or one of the more expensive Snap-On Tools.

You can try to match Timing read from a Logger, with the Timing Light, you can get pretty close this way, but timing does jump around a lot at idle.

I have added the Base Timing Terminal feature to the 98/99 Flashable Ecus, if you can borrow a OpenPort 2.0 cable to flash your ecu. Or if you know someone with 2G DSMLink, could borrow their ecu.

Trying to match timing on a logger, is probably the easiest way, but least accurate.

interesting, thanks man. I guess i need to get an OP cable anyway.

okay i know its an old thread but whats the bas timing supposed to be set at? ill be adjusting via dsmlink and at idle mines 13 advanced

okay i know its an old thread but whats the bas timing supposed to be set at? ill be adjusting via dsmlink and at idle mines 13 advanced

The base timing is 5* BTDC.

The timing at idle without locking it to the base setting via DSMLink, MUT, or check timing connector, depends on the RPM, temp, and altitude but is about 8 to 10 degrees at sea level.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back