The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

2G 2g A/C evaporator core removal help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talyn

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 10, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Having difficulty pulling my evap core, if anyone has any helpful info itd be appreciated, can't seem to find any helpful info on pulling it, already have the glovebox off, and half seperated the evap box, but seems like there are unseen things still holding it in/together, also seems like the bottom half, has a bolt flange sandwiched at the firewall, between the firewall and a bracket.

Well if anyone else is having trouble and happens upon this thread:
-First remove the glovebox and bracket it bolts two, 2 12mm bolts on each side
-Once that is out of the way there were two connectors connected to the A/C evaporator box to unplug.
-There are then 3 total 12mm bolts holding in the evap box, two up top, and one on the firewall.
-The box itself is in two halfs, it has little metal clips holding them together, they can easily be popped off with a flathead screwdriver, they will however go flying, so keep your hand there to catch them, also, unfortunately there is one on the back of the box on the firewall side, and another on the side that are not accessible.
-Lastly, that nut that was in the back on the stud, was holding down a piece of the box that is very securely sandwiched between the firewall and a bracket, I was unable to figure out a way to get this part of the box out of there without possibly pulling the whole dash(not happening). I wound up manhandling the box out of there and broke that corner off. You will also have to fight the two bolt flanges on the top past a wire conduit, and then once its out completely you'll have to fight it out past the dash.
Also of note, the rest of my A/C system was previously removed by a prior owner, so I didn't have to worry about disconnecting A/C lines or safely discharging the A/C refrigerant, so if your system is still present and intact, beware of the safety concerns involved with A/C refrigerant, and how to safely discharge the system before removing the evaporator.

Pics for reference: The last picture is of the tab that broke off, after seeing it from an angle my phone could get that my head couldn't it appears that if that stud can be removed from the engine bay side of the firewall it might be possible to get the tab out of that spot without breaking it.

Attachments

• IMAG0038.jpg
    IMAG0038.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 492
  • IMAG0039.jpg
    IMAG0039.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 476
  • IMAG0040.jpg
    IMAG0040.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 505
  • IMAG0041.jpg
    IMAG0041.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 443
  • IMAG0045.jpg
    IMAG0045.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 508
I don't think there is a way to pull it without pulling the dash. its really not that hard to do. all 10m bolts. there's 6 screws in the center console, 1 10mm bolt behind each tweeter, drivers side is 4 10mm bolts on the dash panel under steering column, 1 10mm on each side of the bracket under the radio connecting to the floor, 5 or 6 10mm bolts around the glove box, a screw and 10mm bolt on the trim piece under the dash on the passenger side by the door. there's 4 plugs behind the radio to unhook and 2 plugs on the drivers side to unhook. heater core will need to be moved out enough to pull the ac unit out. I hope this could be some help to you.

that nut that was in the back on the stud, was holding down a piece of the box that is very securely sandwiched between the firewall and a bracket, I was unable to figure out a way to get this part of the box out of there without possibly pulling the whole dash(not happening).

That nut is not difficult to get to. You have to remove the two side pieces that hold the carpet back. Lift the carpet and you will find a metal cover to your ABS computer. Take the screws/bolts out, lift the cover and disconnect the ABS connector to the computer. You will now be able to get that nut. The clips that hold the two pieces of the evaporator housing together don't have to be removed until you get the evaporator out. The evaporator should literally drop out once all the hardware has been removed.

I know this is an old thread, but I think it may be helpful to others read that need to remove the evaporator. I'd hate to see a lot of DSM's get hacked apart because the owner didn't know how to do it the right way.

Hi all, I know this is an old thread but I am going to be replacing my evaporator and expansion valve soon (along with all the rest of the main AC components - condenser, compressor, receiver/dryer, main lines). A local shop will first evácuate the whole system of refrigerant and oil and they’ll do the refill including the PAG oil after I get it all installed, run a vacuum pump on it with manifold gauges and confirm the system is clean, dry and holding vacuum.

Can anyone confirm if the evap can be removed from the passenger side with the glove box and it’s housing removed along w the blower motor etc and NOT have to remove the entire dash?

Last edited:
I would say not possible with our dash removal, but I am no expert.

That being said my box is still giving me trouble to remove, I unbolted the ac lines on the firewall, and removed all above mentioned fasteners. It wiggles but seems to be caught on something on the firewall.

I would say not possible with our dash removal, but I am no expert.

That being said my box is still giving me trouble to remove, I unbolted the ac lines on the firewall, and removed all above mentioned fasteners. It wiggles but seems to be caught on something on the firewall.
Update, actually popping off the two ac hardlines on the engine side of the firewall instead of simply unbolting them made the diff. evap box dropped right out

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back