The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

420A 2g 97 Eclipse GS not turning over

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicole393

Probationary Member
Jun 13, 2022
Rogue River, Oregon
we've had a problem with the battery dying when it's hooked up so this afternoon my dad and I put it into repair mode to hopefully keep the battery charged and stuff. but when it was done with that it wouldn't turn over or even make any noise indicating it was trying. in not sure if it's the starter or something else. if someone has any idea please lmk. sorry for any grammar mistakes and the long post.

maybe start with buying a new battery, and make sure it's right onw and make sure your battery terminals are clean and tight, then try again and let us know

I had a similar issue a few months ago. Wasn't getting any spark at all. I had replaced the injectors, fuel pump, coil pack, spark plugs, new battery, nothing worked. It turns out the ECU went bad and it fired right up after replacing it. If it is your ECU, you can get a working replacement from any same year model(for 420as at least), be aware that some may be year specific. like the ecu from my '97 parts car doesn't plug into my '99.
Another thing is to check the starter relay behind the radio. They are out of production though, so unless you can source another one, you may have to jump it if its not working.

I had a similar issue a few months ago. Wasn't getting any spark at all. I had replaced the injectors, fuel pump, coil pack, spark plugs, new battery, nothing worked. It turns out the ECU went bad and it fired right up after replacing it. If it is your ECU, you can get a working replacement from any same year model(for 420as at least), be aware that some may be year specific. like the ecu from my '97 parts car doesn't plug into my '99.
Another thing is to check the starter relay behind the radio. They are out of production though, so unless you can source another one, you may have to jump it if its not working.
That's not really very similar if his car is not even turning over, let him first get basics, if it's still not turning over there's 5 options, starter is fried, starter relay is bad, or depending if his car is manual or automatic either clutch safety switch or neutral/park switch is broken, ignition switch or blown fuse.

What comes to ECU, -95 is only one which had 1plug ECU, other than that they're interchangeable as long transmission is the same, even then it's only one wire you have to re pin to work

That's not really very similar if his car is not even turning over, let him first get basics

There is a chance here that he is a she...

As noted the first item to solve is why the engine isn't cranking and if the battery is any good.

You can get your battery load tested for free at most parts stores to see if your battery is up to snuff. Most batteries over 4 years old need to be replaced.

Are you getting ignition power? Does your gauge cluster light up when you turn the car on?

You can get your battery load tested for free at most parts stores to see if your battery is up to snuff. Most batteries over 4 years old need to be replaced.

Are you getting ignition power? Does your gauge cluster light up when you turn the car on?
Yes it does. It's a cpl month old optima battery

If you have trouble to get it charged, I'd take the receipt and switch it to new one, I work at Kia dealership and optima batteries are not super good once drained empty, and make sure you get right battery for your car, some optimas which are equipped with ISG are agm batteries and won't work on your eclipse, and cca is less in factory what recommended for eclipse, I've had good luck just with valucraft, and cheap to replace

Do you have a multi meter or test light with a built in volt meter? You will want to check for voltage at the starter, if you have battery voltage at the starter have someone turn the key to the start position and see if you're getting voltage to the signal wire at the starter solenoid. If yes to the above you have a failed starter. If not you potentially have a wiring issue. I'm a DSMer but I haven't had to trouble shoot the starting circuit on these cars yet and I'm not sure if the 420A cars are different from the 4g63.

Oh yeah, make sure your starter ground wire is secure too.

Do you have a multi meter or test light with a built in volt meter? You will want to check for voltage at the starter, if you have battery voltage at the starter have someone turn the key to the start position and see if you're getting voltage to the signal wire at the starter solenoid. If yes to the above you have a failed starter. If not you potentially have a wiring issue. I'm a DSMer but I haven't had to trouble shoot the starting circuit on these cars yet and I'm not sure if the 420A cars are different from the 4g63.

Oh yeah, make sure your starter ground wire is secure too.
we decided to use the battery warranty + we have new terminals

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back