The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2g 4g63t not sure of what kind of noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arsalan500

Probationary Member
Jun 24, 2009
Ames, Iowa
So I wanted to get a cheap project car and I picked up a 2g dsm, a 95 to be exact with a 7 bolt. This will be my 4th dsm.

The car sat for about 2 years or more and i tossed in a battery to see if it runs. It runs but not too good, seems to have a noise coming from the motor.

I am not sure if this is a knocking noise or a ticking or a lifter tick or a piston slap.

Seems to be coming from the top end of the motor, but im not positive.

I took 3 videos:

(sorry about my little sister complaining about oil)
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofKjWHFrpi4]Knock 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIfKZTMKv6s]Knock 2 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4ifHRJsDTQ]Knock 3 - YouTube[/ame]

Those are the 3 videos I got so far.

I am not sure if its a noise coming from the head, or from the block. If its from the head, I can get a cheap one pretty easily, but if its from the block I will just end up changing motors.

Let me know what you think.

As loud as that is I would "guess" collapsed lash adjuster. It also sounds like its slower then the rpm so that also leads me to think its a lash adjuster. Btw the oil its spitting out is normal as each lash adjuster should be "spitting"

I'd like to see some pics of the inside if you take it apart, sounds brutal.

Honestly I would pull the head and check out.

Honestly I dont think it is a lifter cause of the sound of it. Im pretty sure its a lower end noise now, anyone know a cheap 7 bolt block on the east coast? around Virginia? I've already checked the classified here and cant find much.

if anyone has one lmk, or any place cheap online

Just pull it and get it on a stand before jumping straight to buying a new motor... 7 bolt motors are pretty damn tough to break beyond repair. A brand new crank and bearings is $300 if they are messed up, rods are easy to find in the classifieds, if the bores are ruined you can bore it and get bigger pistons for under $500..... Look before you leap. I kind of think the wrist pin suggestion above sounds feasible. It makes odd, off pace racket that doesn't always seem to match the RPMs.

Hey bryan! and im not looking to go for a 6 bolt swap, when im only aiming for 400hp at the end of the day.

And Frank, the only issue is that if I pull the motor out and tear it apart, I'll have to leave the car torn apart temporarily which I can't allow in my area. I have had the zoning inspector come multiple times regulating me about my cars.

I want to tear the car apart and toss in a new motor or swap block's with less then 2 days.

I think my next step, is to drain the oil, pop off the oil pan and feel the rod caps to see if they are loose at all, if they are I can tell its a bearing.

if the timing was off and the valves were hitting.. would that be shown in a compression test?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back