The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G 2g O2 pigtail in 1g..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allrice4g63

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 17, 2008
hager city, Wisconsin
I'm pretty sure what I will be attempting to do will work but I wanted to make sure... Ok so I have a 90 gsx, car will idle and free rev just fine.. The minute you take off and put load on it wants to buck and cut out.. It's running pig rich 10.00 on wideband. I replaced coolant temp sensor and soldiered a some wires to that... After messing around I seen that the 02 sensor plug was in bad shape.. After further review I seen a black wire pulled all the way out of the 02 pigtail and the other 3 wires are ready to come out.. So makes sense why my car is running like crap..
So now onto my question. I can not find a decent 1g 02 pigtail anywhere around here or online, so could I just use a 2g 02 sensor and wire in a 2g pigtail.. I know it's a shielded wire but basically wondering will the Ecu see the 2g 02 the same way it sees the 1g one.. They are both 4 wire and from what I understand they all just work on a .1 to .9 scale.. They make universal sensors so there should be no prob using a 2g sensor and 2g pigtail right?
Also on a side note if it's not the 02 that's causing the bucking and stalling could the tps do this... From what I gathered is when engine is cold and I start it then it will drive good for few min.. Then after the coolant temp sensor sees temp and allows the Ecu to start using the sensor it runs like crap.. Does this sound right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tach won't work in a 90 if the tacho interface box is missing/bad: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/147266-1990-tsi-tach-question.html.

For the bucking/cutout first thing is to check all your intake system pipeing clamps tightness to make sure there's no air leak (air box, turbo, I.C., BOV, TB). Any leak in any intact tract hose/pipe will definately produce those symptoms. Also check all vacuum hoses to be fastened and no leaks (although vacuum hoses usually only affects idle).

Here is what iv done so far... Replaced 02 sensor, new coolant temp sensor, soldiered all the coolant temp plugs and wires because they were bad looking, did a boost leak test to 20 psi minor small leaks like shaft seals and slight injector orings.. Nothing to cause a buck or stall.. Basically it will idle great and free rev great. The minute you take off and give it gas it just cuts out no stumble or anything just complete nothing.. If you push the clutch in and rev it and drop the clutch then it will take off and shut off again.. I'm starting to wonder if the Ecu isn't getting a tach signal under load or while vehicle is moving or something.. I changed the cas and still does it.. I am starting to think the tach not working is related to why it shuts off.. If the noise filter is bad will it effect how the car runs or does it just effect the tach.. It's almost like fuel cut but literally before the turbo even spools.. Also replaced maf, So either that noise filter or could a knock sensor do this?

The tach not working due to a bad/missing noise filter just effects the tach. ECU does not need this signal to run engine. You've got some other problem - perhaps fuel starvation?

Well I have a walboro 190 also checked injectors 560s and 450s I have 44 psi on the fuel rail.. Can here pump kick on when I spin the cas by hand.. Kinda confused on these 90s I ordered a intake exhaust nd bunch of other gaskets I have it tore down gonna replace the gaskets and fish around for broken wires.. Could a bad Ecu do this?

Ok update: replaced intake gasket, all exhaust gaskets, t.b. gaskets basically everything from block up.. Boost leak test again 20 psi took aprox 20 seconds to drop to zero.. New 2 prong coolant temp sensor, new plug style coolant temp, new single prong coolant temp, checked all the plugs and wires look fine.. New knock sensor and grounded shielding, new 02 sensor and pigtail, tried 3 mafs and 2 sets of injectors, Recirculated bov, ran crankcase hose back to intake, new pcv valve, it still bucks and you give it gas and it just cuts out you can hold pedal to floor and notning until you let up and hit it again then buck and sputter.. Extreme black smoke coming out and plugs look like a chimney chute.. I have power to the maf.. Any more ideas?

Anymore advice on this would be great.. Tried new Ecu and still same thing.. For some reason it feels like the clutch safety switch has sometbing to do with it.. If you push clutch pedal down hard to hit the switch then it wants to go.. It doesn't even make sense.. Just lost at this waiting on logger to see what's going on.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back