The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

26" tall tire?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowgsr

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 17, 2007
hamilton, ON_Canada
Hi.. Im considering a few tire setups here.

The MT ET streets.. But on a 16" rim the smallest they make them is 26" tall (255/50/16).

Or the Hoosier DOT slicks.. in 225/50/16, which is what i want at 24.5" tall, however.. I dont think they are a very suitable 'street' tire.

Im thinking of just going with BFG's. Does anyone know if we can fit a 15" rim on our cars? I have a 90 tsi, with upgraded front brakes, i think there from a 3000gt or a 2nd gen (i needed 2nd gen pads). Or am i limited to a 16" at the smallest?

How will BFG's hook at the track say a 225/50/16 with 550-600awhp? Or WILL i need something better?

Thanks!

Another noob question.. What is the bolt pattern and prefered offset for the 90 TSI :coy:

Hi.. Im considering a few tire setups here.

The MT ET streets.. But on a 16" rim the smallest they make them is 26" tall (255/50/16).

Or the Hoosier DOT slicks.. in 225/50/16, which is what i want at 24.5" tall, however.. I dont think they are a very suitable 'street' tire.

Im thinking of just going with BFG's. Does anyone know if we can fit a 15" rim on our cars? I have a 90 tsi, with upgraded front brakes, i think there from a 3000gt or a 2nd gen (i needed 2nd gen pads). Or am i limited to a 16" at the smallest?

How will BFG's hook at the track say a 225/50/16 with 550-600awhp? Or WILL i need something better?

Thanks!

Another noob question.. What is the bolt pattern and prefered offset for the 90 TSI :coy:

If there big brakes, 15 inch wheels will fit fine. You can get a 225 50 16 bfg drag radial also. Im sure on bfgs it will still spin alittle, but its gonna hook faster, and drag itself out faster.

The 26" may be a hair too tall for your car with the s-techs without having the perfect offset wheel. The 225-50-15 will fit fine over the dual piston calipers(15" wheel). I personally wish I could find a drag radial or street slick(hoosier qt pro) in the 25-25.5 height.

The 26" may be a hair too tall for your car with the s-techs without having the perfect offset wheel. The 225-50-15 will fit fine over the dual piston calipers(15" wheel). I personally wish I could find a drag radial or street slick(hoosier qt pro) in the 25-25.5 height.

The Hoosier DR's at 225/50/16 are fairly close at 24.9" & stick like glue :thumb:

The MT's or the Hoosiers are going to offer more grip vs the BFG's but the BFG's will still be a big improvement over your typical street tire. I know guys that were seeing sub 2.0s 60 fts with them in fwds, so thats pretty impressive for a tire that can still be pretty "street" friendly. If you want to run a 26" tall tire, get out your tape measure first to verify you can fit them with your current drop. I had thought about them but they weren't going to fit with my drop.

The only other concern is the driveline when you run a taller tire!

I would like to get the MT's in a 225/50/15 but i believe they are all backordered everywhere. I am unsure what to do just yet.. I did see a talon at the track earlier this year with the 255/50/16's and he had his rear fenders cut/rolled modified slightly. Im concerned how much the car will squat i dont want my fenders destroying them. That car couldn't leave hard but once he hit 2nd all 4 wheels broke loose when his turbo spooled!

I will probably go with a 24.5" tall BFG on a 15" wheel, more sidewall is always helpful as well! I just have to shop around now for prices and such.. Weight is also a big issue im considering.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back