The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G 21 or 22mm wrist pins?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreamChaser7

Supporting VIP
Jul 18, 2019
Valrico, Florida
Wrist pin size question here:
Planning to buy Eagle forged crank (stock 88mm stroke.) Want Manley H beams and Manley pistons in the 8.5 - 9.0 flavor. My motor is a 6 bolt. Do I have to stay with 21mm wrist pins or can I move up to 22mm? What are the pro and cons? Need to wait on the pistons until block goes to machine shop but could get a good deal on rods now if I was sure on wrist pin size. Thanks.

Also still looking for some input on the bearing size question. Everything is new so standard size bearings or +.001” “extra oil clearance?” Which way is better?
Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Standard size bearings on that new crank and if you have the option, (and you do right now), opt for the 22mm wrist pins and get the 6 bolt rods with 22mm small ends (to match the pison pins). I haven't seen a wrist pin failure but the extra beef is insurance. I would opt for 8.5 compression unless you are going to run E85. You will fight knock with higher compression and you can make up for that with BOOST. :)
Just my .02¢

Standard size bearings on that new crank and if you have the option, (and you do right now), opt for the 22mm wrist pins and get the 6 bolt rods with 22mm small ends (to match the pison pins). I haven't seen a wrist pin failure but the extra beef is insurance. I would opt for 8.5 compression unless you are going to run E85. You will fight knock with higher compression and you can make up for that with BOOST. :)
Just my .02¢
Thanks Marty! That’s pretty much what I thought was the case after all the reading but wanted to make sure. What if I plan to run a flex fuel setup? Would be 93 most of the time but like the idea of being able to put E85 in if I wanted to. Still stay at 8.5?
What are the standard size bearings with “extra oil clearance” .001” for?

Extra oil clearance which I don't know why anyone would need.......now .001" oversize I understand when a crank is just a bit too wore for standard bearings. I almost went with a set of those for the SBC I am working on but the mains all ended up ok, although I could have been happy with .001" more BEARING to make the clearances a little tighter.
E will run in anything if it is tuned right. I ran E in the 90 White GSX without a wideband to tune with. I just played with the settings until she liked it and it had 7.8:1 pistons. We definitely noticed a performance difference enough that I was over running the stock clutch.

I give honest opinions :)

Just my .02¢
So I would need to buy pistons for the 7-bolt to get the 22mm pins correct?

Yeah. Idt they make a "6 bolt 22mm" special piston. They are the same motor so I believe that is correct. I looked at Manleys website one day, trying to figure out how my Built4G63 engine had been built and I believe that is it. Let me find the spec sheet from when I REBUILT it 500 miles later. I should have it written down. Let me look.

Here it is :)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Yeah. Idt they make a "6 bolt 22mm" special piston. They are the same motor so I believe that is correct. I looked at Manleys website one day, trying to figure out how my Built4G63 engine had been built and I believe that is it. Let me find the spec sheet from when I REBUILT it 500 miles later. I should have it written down. Let me look.
That’s what it looks like to me..

Will definitely go with the 22mm small ends. Was wanting to just go with the Manley H beams but says they are only good to 600HP and the Turbo Tuff I beams are so expensive. Not sure if I should wait and save for the I beams or just go with the Eagles around the same price point as they are rated to 900 and 1200 depending on bolts used. Would rather over build the bottom end instead of possibly having to rebuild it at a later date or worse..

Will definitely go with the 22mm small ends. Was wanting to just go with the Manley H beams but says they are only good to 600HP and the Turbo Tuff I beams are so expensive. Not sure if I should wait and save for the I beams or just go with the Eagles around the same price point as they are rated to 900 and 1200 depending on bolts used. Would rather over build the bottom end instead of possibly having to rebuild it at a later date or worse..
Wait 2 weeks and you'll find something brand new for half-off. People are always selling stuff for dirt cheap that has never been opened.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back