The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

20g?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
:ohdamn: another one will have to learn the hard way apparently. He told you this and that knowing he was talking to a dsm noob and it would sell the car. He could care less if you blow the engine a week later. Fuel cut is NOT a good thing. it means youre on the ragged edge of what the fuel system can handle. NOT handle safely. Believe it or not, there is a reason why Diamond Star set stock boost at 12 psi.

We just installed one on my buddies GSX hes got stock injectors and stock pump. Hes got a upgraded FPR and DSM link. hes on 20lbs solid. If you upgrade your pump to 255 walboro and 550ccs should run much better as well depending on the tuning id say 30lbs but make sure you got a triple layer metal headgasket amd ARP headstuds.

Yeah..... no. :aha:

okay ill do some research but guys if this car has had the 20g in for almost 2 years does that mean that it is good to go in this current set up?

A wideband will tell you most of what you need to know about the car's current condition. He did not bury the needle with stock injectors and pump repeatedly and the pistons live to tell about it.

The guy that sold it to me is family LOL and a mechanic for many years. Maybe he knows something that we don't about his build

Ok guys to be safe, shall I drop down to 12-14psi?

Yeah..... no. :aha:

A wideband will tell you most of what you need to know about the car's current condition. He did not bury the needle with stock injectors and pump repeatedly and the pistons live to tell about it.

I'm glad somebody else caught that... Have fun getting 30lbs on pump fuel

Drop it down to twelve until you have everything you need to run more.

I'm glad somebody else caught that... Have fun getting 30lbs on pump fuel

Drop it down to twelve until you have everything you need to run more.

Which would be everything we talked about here ? Injectors, fuel pump, wideband, and afr

Yes, plus some form of tuning

Edit: ^wizard.

Safc isn't recommeded for injectors as big as yours.

I wouldn't rely on fuel cut to keep your car safe! And just so you know, if you get larger inj and fuel pump you will still get fuel cut!!! The ECU controls fuel cut and it doesn't know you have a larger fuel set up when you upgrade!

You have 2 ways around it; 1. Use a tuning device like SAFC that lies to the ECU about the airflow (just delays the fuel cut) 2. Get ECMLink or some other device that removes fuel cut from the ECU. (Not sure what else is available for 2Gs).

An SAFC on 680s on a 2g won't be nearly as dangerous as on a 1g!! The reason there is a limit for injector size running one is cause it lies to the ECU about the airflow coming in. You tell it that you are running about 33% less airflow (450/680)-1. So it assumes there is much less load on the engine than there really is and you get bumped to a higher timing map, which can be too much timing for what your cars is actually doing! On a 2g, the timing is much lower anyway and you probably wouldn't have issues. (But you won't know without a datalogger!)

All that being said, you have to change the tune when you upgrade the fuel system to run more boost. Without a WB, you are doing it all blind!!!

You can get an Innovative WB for $160ish on Amazon, they work better with ECMLink anyway (according to ECMLink).

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Innovate-Motorsports-3844-Complete-All-In-One/dp/B004MDT8MW/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1380807673&sr=1-1&keywords=innovative+wideband]Amazon.com: Innovate Motorsports 3844 MTX-L Complete All-In-One Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge Kit: Automotive[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Innovate-Motorsports-3795-Complete-Wideband/dp/B001QFH2RW/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1380807673&sr=1-2&keywords=innovative+wideband]Amazon.com: Innovate Motorsports 3795 DB BLUE Complete Wideband Gauge Kit (2 1/16 52mm) with LC-1, O2 Sensor, Bung and Plug: Automotive[/ame]

ok ill chime in on this first off the stock fpr can handle a 255 with no issue at all im running a 340 and stock fpr and not over running my injectors at all, its an areo 340lph not running crazy rich im also running dsmlink so I can log everything.
stock injectors will be fine for the 20g as long as your not boosting past 17psi ish maybe a pound or 2 in either direction it will still be fine.
for daily driving you can just run it, watch the color of the plugs for a rich lean situation, save your money and get link don't waste your money on an safc wait is all I can say, get your wideband and than save for link so you can log everything and fine tune it while your driving sell your 680's and buy a set 1000cc with link and you wont have to worrie about a lean situation.

Before you do anything you need to talk to the PO since's he's family and a mechanic. Ask him how he compensated for the 680's and what fuel pump is in the tank.

I'm betting he's going to tell you the ECU is either 1) chipped or 2) reflashed, and that the fuel pump is not stock.

I tried to overlook it but I just couldn't let this go:
adjustable fuel pressure regulator

Before you do anything you need to talk to the PO since's he's family and a mechanic. Ask him how he compensated for the 680's and what fuel pump is in the tank.

I'm betting he's going to tell you the ECU is either 1) chipped or 2) reflashed, and that the fuel pump is not stock.

I tried to overlook it but I just couldn't let this go:

From what I understand he is on the stock pump and stock injectors. Running his 20g at 18psi. He has 680cc injectors but doesn't have anything to tune with or a wb to see where the car is at.

okay guys the 680cc injectors are not in the car. I have the stock injectors and fuel pump running a 20g at 18psi. I do have aftermarket bov and boost gauge and a fmic which came in the mail today. im the question that I needed to be answered is if this is a safe setup until I have what I need to upgrade. but from what I have been told during this thread is that I need an afpr, wideband, bigger injectors and a wally. am I missing anything? and no the ecu is not chipped or flashed or anything. its stock.

pump, injectors, and ecu all stock.

From what I understand he is on the stock pump and stock injectors. Running his 20g at 18psi. He has 680cc injectors but doesn't have anything to tune with or a wb to see where the car is at.

YES! you da man

There is so much misinformation in this thread it's almost comical. To be fair, this isn't necessarily directed at the OP.

You cannot safely run a 20g on stock injectors at any range past stock without putting your engine at risk. Period. Hell, even running a small 16g above stock boost levels without proper fueling is stupid. The 20g is far and away around 15lbs/min more than a 14b. Forget about comparing it to a T-25. This has got to be one of the worst things I've read on this thread.

You cannot run larger than stock injectors without any form of engine management to compensate for it. Period. I don't care what your uncle, your cousin, or the Honda kid down the block told you.

OP, figure out what was actually done/not done in regards to how or why your car can run the 680s. You cannont just safely run a 20g to 18psi. It just doesn't work. As suggested, it was likely a chipped Ecu. SAFCs are junk. Save for link or pick up a flashable/Evo Ecu tactrix setup. You NEED a tuning solution to run a 20g.

There is so much misinformation in this thread it's almost comical. To be fair, this isn't necessarily directed at the OP.

You cannot safely run a 20g on stock injectors at any range past stock without putting your engine at risk. Period. Hell, even running a small 16g above stock boost levels without proper fueling is stupid. The 20g is far and away around 15lbs/min more than a 14b. Forget about comparing it to a T-25. This has got to be one of the worst things I've read on this thread.

You cannot run larger than stock injectors without any form of engine management to compensate for it. Period. I don't care what your uncle, your cousin, or the Honda kid down the block told you.

OP, figure out what was actually done/not done in regards to how or why your car can run the 680s. You cannont just safely run a 20g to 18psi. It just doesn't work. As suggested, it was likely a chipped Ecu. SAFCs are junk. Save for link or pick up a flashable/Evo Ecu tactrix setup. You NEED a tuning solution to run a 20g.

what should i drop the boost down to?

this is where you need a tuning device wideband for example to monitor your air fuel ratios when you crank the boost past stock levels. Where are you boosting now?

Does no one actually read a whole thread? He's running 18psi with no fuel upgrades. He should drop it down to 12 psi or less. Since he has no Wideband kind of hard to say.

This whole thread has been one giant :ohdamn:

Lowest boost possible will skirt you by OP. You'll be one slow turd with that "big 'ole" 20g, but your engine will thank you down the road.

Just I put into perspective of how big a 20g is and it's amazing your car hadn't blown up yet running 18psi
T25
14b- I hit fuel cut here with a 17psi on stock injectors
16g
B16g
Evo 3 16g
18g
20g- there's no way your you should be running 18psi on this turbo on stock fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back