The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Resolved 20G Turbo Death Whine? (Was a Coupler Blown Halfway Off)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chumpaumpalumpa

Proven Member
Jun 16, 2014
La Habra, California
So last night while doing pulls I thought I heard a bit of whining but wasn't sure. After just driving around regularly the rest of the night it started getting louder and louder. At this point I was concerned so I was babying it. It now sounds like the infamous "supercharger" whine but only if its loaded. Starts maybe around 10inHg and gets louder as pressure increases. I limped her home last night really gently so as not to make the noise anymore. Pulled the intake off and no axial shaft play and a little radial but not so much that it can contact the housing, There was a little puddle of oil in the intake pipe and the turbo inlet. But that has been there for quite a while and there was no more than usual. Doesn't smoke under boost either. 200mi old oil. Turbo fed off the head. Ideas?

Even though it does it in vacuum you think?
Vacuum seen on your boost only applies to the pressure behind the throttle body (assuming you don't have a reference from the pipes or turbo housing). Therefore you should know and remember there is practically no vacuum post compressor and pre-throttle body. Intake piping gets pressurized before the intake manifold. Even though the manifold is under vacuum the pipes will still be pressurized.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back