The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

20g impressions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsxeclipse97

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 7, 2004
Cedar Park, Texas
Well I have gotten the car officially back in the running category. As far as what I think of the 20g so far, it's spools fairly quickly but it's silentl. I can almost not hear it at all. Second gear has boost spike issues. I'm running 13psi at the moment till I can't get a good gauge to how the car is responding to this turbo. At 13 psi I'm seeing 65 percent injector duty cycle on evo 560cc it pulls pretty hard up top also. I guess I will need to invest in a clutch soon. But I do find it off that it's so quiet as compared to the 14b which was loud.

Yes I remember I saw, and the 14b was maxed out it wouldn't even hold boost through the rpm range. It would drop to 15psi by 6000rpm but I did take your advice into consideration.

Well my 14b doesnt creep, dont spike and holds boost untill i let off the throttle.

Ok well given we are running to completely different setups my 14b acted completely different. Never spiked or had any creeping issues. I saw 77% idc at 21psi and would fall like I said to 15psi.

No reason to get mad I'm the one who has to drive the car.

Currently have logged 63 %idc at 13psi on the new turbo so I will clearly need larger injectors at some point. I get the larger compressor moves more air so it doesn't work as hard thus less noise is generated.

Before Bud jumps all over me for having a 20g and 550's, they came with the car, and I've only had it a few months.

To OP: I'm seeing 73% IDC on my 550's at 17 and some change psi. I decided to not even bother putting on my Greddy BCS until I upgrade the injectors (in the next couple of weeks). I'm thinking 19-20psi would be putting you in the less-than-safe zone with 550's.

Well I have gotten the car officially back in the running category. As far as what I think of the 20g so far, it's spools fairly quickly but it's silentl. I can almost not hear it at all. Second gear has boost spike issues. I'm running 13psi at the moment till I can't get a good gauge to how the car is responding to this turbo. At 13 psi I'm seeing 65 percent injector duty cycle on evo 560cc it pulls pretty hard up top also. I guess I will need to invest in a clutch soon. But I do find it off that it's so quiet as compared to the 14b which was loud.

This doesn't sound out of the ordinary considering you're running 13 psi. I had a VPC + Buschur 3" intake and tial 38 vented to the atmosphere on my car in conjunction with a 20G @25psi back in the day so it was fairly "loud" at every rpm but what did you expect considering Your setup/psi?

You're running at 13psi for whatever reason. Is your 20G ported, including the wastegate passage? A bigger "flapper" (34mm) on the mitsu internal wastegate should only be installed with low boost in mind. If you plan on running more than 13 psi I would stick with the stock flapper door and above 20psi start looking to external for the best performance/ boost response. 560cc will be out of the question at this point as will be the stock clutch. All depends on what you want to do with the car.

I do plan to raise the boost at some point. The flapper is stock, I'm sure at 25psi it will be a very different experience. I would like to do some road racing with this car. Eventually but till that time comes I'm not sure what it's going to do. It does want to exceed the 13si though. Yes it's ported

When you get the 20g into the mid 20's it'll wake up some:thumb:.

Did you end up swapping to Mitsu housing? What configuration did you end up running? When I tried to use the internal wastegate in a 7cm Mitsu housing at low boost it would spike really bad, I ended up porting it and running an external wastegate off of the O2 housing to get rid of the spike.

Says the guy with the 6 cm turbine housing.Keep your insults to yourself please.

So potentially your calling out my 14b builder, and my tuner:hmm:

No I'm saying you sound like a fool in this thread. Your post ads nothing and you were insulting the thread starter. All of tour posts are nonsense for the most part. And your car looks like a freaking clown car.

The yellow skunk..Come on man..To each his own..

And i was insulting the op because on another one of his 20g threads i answered his question allready.

Then i took it back because it was not needed.

Ok so you at least admit your post was useless. I'm sure you post in his previous thread was worthless too.

And I would rather walk than drive that clown car. I don't know why you would insult his combo. Your car is stock with injectors for the most part. You spent more time and money making it ugly.

Shoulld seeen it when i got it..NO cf,stupid graphics on the bottom. stock manifold, exhaust,flipping 13g..

Stock appearing yes, thats what im going for.

Your car has injectora and a 20g, and your callin bullshit on me.Have fun with that.Get the sand out of both of your vanginas and then come back you troll.

I do plan to raise the boost at some point. The flapper is stock, I'm sure at 25psi it will be a very different experience. I would like to do some road racing with this car. Eventually but till that time comes I'm not sure what it's going to do. It does want to exceed the 13si though. Yes it's ported

Sometimes when the exhaust side of the turbo is ported it lessens the transition into the wastegate passage. Nonetheless, 13 psi is putting a lot of demand on the tiny internal wastegate allowing for adequate exhaust bypass. I'd guess that the boost spiking will subside when you up the boost.

Honestly you can take your car pretty far with 560 cc. You can make a solid 350hp ish maybe more on those injectors. Your limiting factor here is the clutch...it wont last long once you start turning up the boost.

When you get the 20g into the mid 20's it'll wake up some:thumb:.

Did you end up swapping to Mitsu housing? What configuration did you end up running? When I tried to use the internal wastegate in a 7cm Mitsu housing at low boost it would spike really bad, I ended up porting it and running an external wastegate off of the O2 housing to get rid of the spike.

I did swap housings, I have noticed that it does spike pretty harshly if I get on it especially in second gear. I got on it the other day and it spiked to 25psi in a blink. Third-fifth is pretty good about not spiking.

For what it's worth, I know a fellow who ran a HX40 at 26psi on 650's with pump 93; IDC's in the 88-92% range. Car ran great.

It's all in your tune and how it delivers fuel. I wouldn't consider 550's "plenty" of fuel for a 20G by any means, but you should definitely be able to run above stock boost levels.

Oh well that's good to know cause currently I have it turned down all the way I was thinking of trying to at least run 15psi and see where the idc is at that point. I'm using ceddy'a big maps to tune with so I have lots of room to work with.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This is the current fuel map that's on the car that allowed it to get out of its mode of not being able to rev over 4000 rpms

Ok so you at least admit your post was useless. I'm sure you post in his previous thread was worthless too.

And I would rather walk than drive that clown car. I don't know why you would insult his combo. Your car is stock with injectors for the most part. You spent more time and money making it ugly.

Seamus, so sad to see you posting again, talking trash in a 20g thread no less. You have yet to complete our 20g transaction from a year ago, and your mother has now failed to follow through on completing the refund payments. :notgood:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back