The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2022 SO scramble Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ist dwa

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 5, 2009
Centerville, Ohio
Saturday: Sept 17
I have been wanting to bring my Black DSM up to the SO for a couple of years now, it's been running for 2 years, I took my other car last year and COVID the year before. The car has been flawless all season until some racing in Mexico over this past weekend netted me a broken shift rail end fork. That was Saturday night. I was able to drive the car home the whole way stuck in 4th gear and not get towed, yea me!

Sunday: Sept 18

Tear the tranny apart Sunday and I have the needed parts to replace it but have to do some modifications to get them to fit, don't ask, have yet to reassemble it, this took all day Sunday.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Monday: Sept 19 I had some oil leaks and have been telling myself I am going to replace the oil pan next time the trans is out so here we are and Monday morning I order one from ROck Auto. Also I am really wanting to upgrade to a twin disc, I just feel I am at the absolute limit of this ACT 2900. So I get lucky and somebody on Tuners has a lightly used QM twin disc on the cheap, so I buy, it gets shipped Tue.

Tue: Sept 20

On Tue I pull the old clutch off for the new one and my 6 puck disc is a shell of it's self with basically no pad materials left, the disc is 2 years old with 0 launches, pretty unbelievable, glad I pulled that trigger on the TWIN, my suspicions were right. I am going to have to order a nice new fork that is machine for the TWIN so I know I am going to make a small Extreme PSI order.

With the clutch out I start to inspect everything underneath the motor to identify all the oil leaks for sure. It's leaking out the rear main seal, uggg. I was also planning on replacing the front case gasket as well as I already have a new OEM gasket and bolts so I pull the timing belt off. It's leaking at all the seals in the front case, uggg. I see it leaking some coolant out of the water pump to alternator bracket bolt, uggg, and last I see some oil at the base of the compressor cover of my FP black as the return and feed for turbo oil are clean.

I am thinking I have to much positive crankcase pressure, so I call FP to verify and we agreed. They recommended adding a new PCV setup off the back of the block in addition to my current -6an and -8an catch can setup. So I design a quick PCV setup and order an air specific one way check valve from Vargas Turbo from Cali.

Last things for Tue was getting the old pan and front case off, no problems there.

NOW I know who got the clutch I was going to buy.......ROFL
Good luck at the SO!

Wed: Sept 21

Yesterday was the most important day, getting things ordered, it has to be 100% correct, it has to come from all reliable sources, everything is part checked and built in my head 3 times, I hope I got it right!
Order a new GMB water pump
Finalize and ordered from ExtremePSI all new bolts for the front of the motor I don't already have, all new OEM gaskets and seals I don't already have, etc.
Finalize the Summit racing order for MISC parts for PCV setup.
Advanced auto parts order for high tack sprays and RTVs ordered and picked up.
Oil pan received

I got the oil filter housing cleaned and read to reinstall and started on the front case.

Thur: Sept 22

I officially am half way done I removed the final parts off of the car for the project. Coolant was drained and H2o pump removed. The whole front side of the motor was cleaned.

Got the rear main seal off cleaned and the block cleaned on that side.

Cleaned the front case and checked my ol trusty oil pump I think I have been using since 2003, it just keeps specking, oil pressure was fine so it's going right back in...... again.

And that is about it, I did receive my Summit parts order....check, and the H20 pump shipped, so everything has shipped. I have verified I shouldn't need any additional parts, just up to the Post Office and me to get it done.

Friday : Sept 23

Extreme PSI order and Twin Disc arrived.

Got the rear main seal back on.

Front case with new gaskets/seals and packed full of vasoline back on along with the OFH.

Saturday: Sept 24 half day update

GMB H20 pump, RTV, and Check valve all arrived.

More of the front of the motor put together

Oil pan on and torqued, had to tap the return fitting directly to the pan which was fine with me, I hate the adapter fitting anyways.

Got the twin disc installed.

New H20 pump and timing cover painted.

Saturday: Sept 24 second half update

H20 pump on and back in time.

And got the engine stuff buttoned up.

Sunday: Sept 25

Got the trans all cleaned up and ready to assemble with the first case glued on. Man I needed a break, all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy, Sunday night beer break, be at it again Monday.

Monday: Sept 26

Got the trans all glued back together, feels fine to me shifting in my hand again, all painted and ready to go back in the car.

Went ahead and attached a fuel line that was hanging lower than I wanted to, too close to the driveshaft.

Then started on the new catchcan setup. I don't really like the check valve idea so I am going to make something that runs it to the intake, I have to make a can and get a few fittings, should not be painful. I am sourcing local line now. The line off the block is going to go straight to my catch can and the valve cover line will go to a sealed can and then to the turbo inlet pipe.

Tuesday: Sept 27

Trans mounted, Twins make it so much easier to install a trans! I can easily go through all the gears from the shifter inside the car.....CHECK, and the Twin feels great from at least the butt meter without driving it, I can feel it disengaging, so ....CHECK!

Oil and coolant are in, no visible leaks.

I got the pass axle and suspension stuff in...check.

And before I finish the drivers side I want to finish the catch can setup since I am working with the hole on the back of the block, with everything out of the way it is making it easy. So I went to Lowes and designed a quick catch can. I got it mocked up with the lines routed and its general disposition.

Wed: Sept 28

Went to a local hydraulic line store to pick up new line for the catch can setup. Finished the catch can setup. I stuffed this sink cleaning SS stuff in there as a baffle. All painted up an installed.

Got the TCase, suspension, DP, and everything else on top completed and reassembled. Gear oil filled up with 75W140 No Slip. Not one extra part or washer. I will go over every nut and bolt again tomorrow, put the wheels on and it should fire up.

You're gonna make it! Such enthusiasm, I love it! :thumb:

THURSDAY: SEPT 29

Double checked everything. Looked good, no leaks. Dont forget your TWIN block of wood mod to take up travel in the peddle.

Put the tires on and added air. Car started right up. I ran it idle for 25 min with no leaks and log looked good. I'll go for a drive later, kids have karate!

Thursday - Sept 29 late update

Went for an hour drive, car felt great. Twin disc are by far the greatest mod you can do for the trans itself, this thing shifts sooooo much better, the pedal feels completely stock, and of course it sounds like the rear diff is going to fall out on decel. It was pretty traffic heavy so I couldn't get any full 3 and 4th gear pulls in but I did a 2nd, some of 3rd and some of 4th to fully load the clutch and it held fine. I just checked the floor before I posted this and not a single drop of any fluid at this point which would have not been true before I did this maintenance project. Boost was down from 41 to 37, not sure why but I have a feeling it was due to the fact I reduced my crankcase pressure, however that is what boost controllers are for. I leave Saturday morning for the SO. Feeling good about it at this point!

FRIDAY : SEPTEMBER 30

Got her all washed and packed up to leave in the morning.

FRIDAY : SEPTEMBER 30

Got her all washed and packed up to leave in the morning.

Not sure what I like better. The 2GB talon swirlies on a 1ga talon, or the gsx “turbo” blades on 1ga eclipses.

Saturday: October 1

Made it there no problems. Hanging with some good katz, Zimmer, Jacks trans, Reitmen, Robert from FP, Jewer, Natfab, etc!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back