The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2006 Lancer Ralliart problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauleyman

DSM Wiseman
Nov 19, 2011
oklahoma city, Oklahoma
Wow, the Lancer forums suck. If you've seen my other posts I've recently replaced the head on my son's car. It's been doing well for several hundred miles, until a few days ago. It's continually throwing a P0171 code. The car runs very well.

Since this code popped up I've been looking at the data and it's throwing fuel at it. O2 seems to cycle ok although today it stopped for a bit and threw a P2195 code.

It uses a hotwire MAF sensor not a Karmann like 2.0 Lancer or DSM. I sprayed some cleaner on it (looked clean before) and naturally, it didn't change. The P2195 did happen after that but I don't think it's related. The sensor was dry (cleaner dries nearly instantly).
I've reset the code several times and it just keeps coming back. I can't log (that I know of with the torque app).

Suggestions?

I really really hate to throw parts at a car. I've gone over all the vacuum lines and all are connected and tight. I didn't miss anything and besides, it ran with no issues for several hundred miles. Probably 500 or more before it did this.
suggestions?

Are all of the injectors working perfectly? If one wasn't firing, the system would show lean across the board from the averages, which would make the ECU dump fuel.

Without some noid lights I can't say for sure but given the length of time ecu checks before it sets this code I would say yes. The car runs too good and the only misfire I've seen was at idle this morning. Oddly it hasn't done that before and it's not doing it now. I'm putting a few miles on it today. Maybe I fixed it. I did find the intake pipe misaligned after the maf. I didn't think it was enough to leak though but I did adjust it. I also didn't get a chance to drive it after any of this mornings changes. I'll repost later today.
I should do a hard ecu reset also.

If anybody is more familiar with the torque app please post. I don't do much with it except look at raw data and clear codes.

That's all I had used it for in the past. Haven't used it in a while though.
Apparently it has a log function on it. I'll play with the app some. Messing with this ralliart is weird. Lots of stuff like dsm and lots that isn't. It's a fun daily though. Perfect for a teenager and best of all when i got it years ago it was a tbelt victim car for pennies. Msrp was like 23 or 24k. Dumb high for what it is. Surprised it's gone 5 years, son is 22 now.

Apparently it has a log function on it. I'll play with the app some. Messing with this ralliart is weird. Lots of stuff like dsm and lots that isn't. It's a fun daily though. Perfect for a teenager and best of all when i got it years ago it was a tbelt victim car for pennies. Msrp was like 23 or 24k. Dumb high for what it is. Surprised it's gone 5 years, son is 22 now.
I thought they'd be a bit more popular than they are/were. Sure, not quite an Evo, but still some good performance at a decent price. It's too bad they didn't catch on more.

I thought they'd be a bit more popular than they are/were. Sure, not quite an Evo, but still some good performance at a decent price. It's too bad they didn't catch on more.
Yeah I've been real happy with it. I think they didn't tweak it more so it wouldn't be a low budget evo. Very surprised they did the next model ralliart as it really does look very much like an evo x.
With a ton of new parts, belt hoses brakes tires etc I still didn't have barely 2k in it for his first car. Couldn't ask for more for 2 weekends worth of work.

Yeah I've been real happy with it. I think they didn't tweak it more so it wouldn't be a low budget evo. Very surprised they did the next model ralliart as it really does look very much like an evo x.
With a ton of new parts, belt hoses brakes tires etc I still didn't have barely 2k in it for his first car. Couldn't ask for more for 2 weekends worth of work.
What's the suspension like in those cars? Handle okay? Wonder how much got carried over from the Evo in that area.

I havent' had a working version of CAPS in years so I've not made a direct part number comparison and I'm not overly familiar with EVO suspension. It handles well for what it is. Definately could use some better tires or an LSD. It does use equal length half shafts so that's a plus. I didn't give it too much research as it was just supposed to be a teenager car but he really likes it even now. Interior is all EVO. They specifically took the console out of the EVO. Seats aren't EVO but they are ralliart specific and pretty nice without being intrusive and overly supported. Enough so I bought a pair for my DSM although I'm second guessing them now as I like other styles better.

This just won't stop....flagging a bunch of codes. First, it was just lean, then misfire cyl 3 then misfires all around. Poked around a bit.
Ether finally found it. 3 of 4 of my injector seals were trash. Keep in mind these are felpro units only a few hundred miles old. I purchased the kit from rockauto when I did the cylinder head a month ago.
No way I botched the install this bad. Check out the pics.
Are these kits old? Even so, they haven't been subjected to anything sitting on the shelf and all gaskets including these are soft.
You can see in the pic one of them is nearly cracked in half. Car runs great again. I want to know what happened.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I've driven the car enough now. It has another problem and quite frankly I'm being lazy and going here first. Mostly because the lancer forums are horrible and for sure I won't find answers here...it's about MIVEC.
After the new head install it doesn't engage. It was very clear when it happened and now not at all. I really don't know how it works or what to look at.
Any input evo crossover folks? Granted it's not an evo but I would imagine the mivec system is similar if not identical.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back