The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2002 Acord drops voltage when connecting battery

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsilverlake

Probationary Member
Dec 28, 2019
South Lyon, Michigan
I needed to pull one of the heads to get a broken spark plug out. After fixing the problem I reinstalled the head, connected everything and started the car. It started with no problem, ran for about a minute then the battery light slowly came on and quit running. When turning the key to start it again, there was no power, no lights, nothing. I disconnected the battery, tested it, it is good (12.3 V) but when connecting the battery again I see the voltage drop from the 12.3 to 2 V in a matter of seconds. When I take the negative cable off the volts return to the 12.3. I am guessing a short somewhere? Can't figure why the car started then within a minute developed this problem.
Any help would be great.
Bill

Boy Bill, thats really strange. When you reinstalled the head, could you have pinched any wires? I have no idea how that motor sits in a Honda but I bet there are a butt load of wires. Give that area a double check for wiring, then you get to the point where you hook up the battery, but have pulled ALL of the fuses. Then reinstall them one at a time until you find the culprit circuit. I think that's what I would have to do. Of course, make a diagram of which fuses went where first. :thumb:
Marty

Test the battery and charging circuits. Check for a short to ground com the charging circuit. You have also joined a Mitsubishi forum. You may get more specific help on a honda forum.

Turns out the alternator was bad, short circuit internally. Replaced it and all runs fine.
Thanks for the help
Bill

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back