The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Building a 2.4l

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halfmazin1

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 16, 2004
hollywood, Florida
ok i have the 4g64 engine im planning on doing the hybrid eventually but i wanna make sure it all good. now im gonna go ahead n buy pistons n rods now is there ne thing else i have to worry about pertaining to the bottom end?? how much boost will the bottom end be able to handle? im not lookin for like 11 second times i gotta few ppl around my way that i need to take care of n i wanna do this right so nothing messes up on me im lookin for 13 second passes will my bottom end be alrite??

If you rebuild your bottom end with stonger rods and used special stroker piston then engine will be fine. I am not to sure about your head but you are most likely going to want to replace your head with a 4G63 one.

Lunch_Box said:
If you rebuild your bottom end with stronger rods and used special stroker piston then engine will be fine. I am not to sure about your head but you are most likely going to want to replace your head with a 4G63 one.

yea thats what i was going to do is get the 1g 4g63t head n bolt that bad boy on eventually. but what pistons n rods should i get? any brand better than another? am i going to have to change my crank? at all or will all that be fine. now with all that said after i get the head bolted on n yes i do know about gauges n all that good stuff but as far as the turbo parts are concerned should i get the stock stuff or go ahead n go all out with upgraded components or will the stock turbo stuff surfice n just upgrade the turbo?

Last edited by a moderator:
Crank will be fine, just upgrade the pistons and rods as already mentioned. There are lots of options; personally I would go with an eagle/ross combo.

It depends on how much power you are going to want to make. Eagle and Ross combo would work but if it was me I would go with the Pauter lod rod and Ross combo.

00 Agent said:
Crank will be fine, just upgrade the pistons and rods as already mentioned. There are lots of options; personally I would go with an eagle/ross combo.

yea this was the combo i was going to go with orignally now what about the turbo parts should i just go with the stock turbo n such or just upgrade everything??

You should sell that block to me, I wanna build a 2.1 de-stroked 4g64. Magnus has one in there newest race car and it's sick!!

You want a big turbo, GT35R, FP 3065.... Do a search this topic has been covered. Also just so you know because you have a 7 bolt 2.4L I believe you can still run into the risk of crankwalk.

Speaking of 2.4L...

Does anyone know how to tell if the engine in an 89 Sonata is the 2.4L G4CS? I can look at it visually and also have the VIN for it.

BAD-TSi said:
You should sell that block to me, I wanna build a 2.1 de-stroked 4g64. Magnus has one in there newest race car and it's sick!!

sell u my engine haha funny man i just got into dsms ive learned so much its funny cause originally i was mad cause i got a N/T n all that other good stuff n now i find out alot of ppl want my block for the hybrid. so i figured ill do it myself n make 1 sick eclipse. i got a couple of friends with boosted honda out here that are running need to put them back where they use to be when i had my prelude n this looks like a good way of doing it thanks for the feed back guys. n as far as those turbo im guessing those are huge turbos im not trying to kill myself all i want is low 13seconds if i can get that :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
im lookin for 13 second passes

if you are looking for 13 sec car you are wasting alot of money.

I now have 12,000 in my 2.4 build up. and its not finished.

damn that alot of doe. im lookin for a reliable daily driver also im not looking to build this super beast im lookin for something that can easily get 13 second passes if ill take 12s but 13s is all i want really but i still want it to be daily driven. n if the motor is going to be able to take everything i can dish at it so be it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back