The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

1G 2.4L Motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mushe40

Proven Member
May 8, 2021
West Enfield, Maine
I'm new at this. I was told I could buy a 2.4 pt cruiser motor and use a 2.0 eclipse head on that block.

I'm building a sport 4 for 1/3 mile race track. They tell me that's what I need to build a stroker.

The car is piped from front to back so i think everything could be made to fit but i need some help from people that have been there and done it.

My head on the race car I have they took it back to shop had it planed again and it's like 26thounds to much. They're telling me to buy a thick head gasket. I would feel much better getting another head, take racing cams and springs out and put them in another head.

This is a non turbo motor. I've been told to go get a 2000 to 2002 pt cruiser block and use a 91-92 eclipse head. That's what i have now, a 91 eclipse head. This supposedly will build a stroker engine.

I just need to have some advice and other that know or recommend something better please let me know here

Robert Mushero
thank you for your time have a great day

Last edited by a moderator:
ive been told to got get a 2000 to 2002 pt cruiser block and use a 91-92 eclipse head thats what i have now 91 eclispe head this suposly will buld a stroker i just need to have some advice and other that know

a pt cruiser 2.4 non-turbo engine (EDZ) is made by chrysler, 95-99 eclipse non-turbo 2.0L engine (420A) is also made by chrysler.
you can combine the two engines to make a stroker

a 91 eclipse 2.0L head (4G63) is made by mitsubishi and can only go on another mitsubishi engine. you want a 4G64 block, which is a 2.4L.

what year is your car?

its a stock car 4 cylinder class. The car is a 91-92 Ive been told. Its all cut up and i really don't know much but the head is a 91. I will know more when they bring me the rest off the parts that's what the owner said. I just want to know the best way to build a fast engine without going crazy money wise. I know it's not cheap but they already had head shaved 2x. I'm scared of it so got to replace it its has stage 2 crowler cams and racing springs and when they put the bottom end in they tightened rod too tight and wouldn't turn so i got a mess to deal with.
The crank was new, now once i figure best way to go to build a race motor myself with machine shop doing their work I'll put it all together so any input off any of this project would really help.

What year 4g64 block?

The race car is all set up for that head, what head are you recommending?

I also been told there problem with the oil pan fitting ive got to take another look in there to see how they set this thing all up to make sure things will fit.

ty ive got to head off to work but when you reply ill answer ty for your time robert

Are you racing on a circle track? The 4g63 2.0 in a stick shift car is going to be your best set-up for circle track. Don't build a stroker motor. It won't wind up fast enough. What size is the track you are running?

You don't want to do a stroker for a circle track. The short stroke is better for winding up faster and will last MUCH longer. Stroker motors have longer rods and much worse rod angles. Drag racing they are fine as they are run for 10 seconds and then the race is over. Circle track racing you are spinning the engine at close to redline for 10 minutes straight so shorter rods and less rod angle are your friend.

To make the car faster gearing is everything. I assume you are not turbo? What gear are you running the car in when your racing?

Third gear so I've never raced this car just baught they blew head gasket in it they messed the whole thing up so whats your recommend to build 2.o from fresh new parts its bored 20 over but when they tighten it up wouldn't turn so im thinking a racing rod kit piston rods rings what would you recommend names what type of pistons ive seen alot from nipping n mainly rod kits what would be the best to get for what im doing I know I need new head 26 thousand they turned it to much let me know ty I have stage 2 crowler cam with springs ty robert

Well to figure out gearing you really need to have taken the car out on the track. If you're going to run 3rd gear go with the smallest tire you can get. 195/60R14 would help keep you in the higher RPMs I'm guessing your running 75ish going into the corners there

You don't need any fancy racing pistons or rods. Just a good stock bottom end will do. If you have to buy new pistons go with NPR pistons. They are the same quality as stock. DSM engines have good stock bottom ends. I run mine is 300 laps enduros and it never has any issues. Only thing i do is replace all the bottom end bearings and seals and then gap the rings out. #1 ring gap should be .020 #2 ring gap should be .025. If you run an engine really hard and don't have enough gap the rings expand and can butt up against eachother and score the cylinder wall or even chip a piston.

The cylinder head is where you want to spend your money if your going to spend money. Looks like you've already got cams and springs. When you get a new head you would want to have the ports cleaned up on it to remove the casting flaws and smooth out the runners. (Don't have it actually ported as the ports are plenty big already) You could have the valves back-cut and have a 3 or 5 angle valve job done.

I personally wouldn't even spend the money on any of that. You should just get a new head and get your parts swapped over, fix the bottom end and see how the car does without putting a bunch of money into it. If it's your first car you're better off to start out learing to drive a slower car and then make it faster if your not placing as well as you wanted to

I run 4cylndet modified class under sport 4 here ive raced diffrent car for 15 years speedway 95 bangor me I do my best ive never won a race but im costing I run a 99 civic in that class so I know how to race but they all got hot cars. Fast im the slow one

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

That's a good looking car there. Looks like someone did a full gut on it so your mostly just running sheet metal. Should be a very light car. If your have time post an under hood picture just to satisfy my curiosity of how much of a tube chassis the car is.

Looking at the picture I'm thinking your tires are too big for running 3rd. What size are they? You may be able to run 2nd. I have a 93 eclipse and a 91 talon that I run and I have them both set up to run 2nd gear. These cars haul ass in 2nd. With the right size tire you can pull almost 80 in 2nd gear.

I never run it but he say he could run it in second it has 14 inch tires on it truck area gutted out piped all way to front but if I get home before dark ill get pic in morning

Do you have a cell phone I can send you a small video to or I can try to email it

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back