The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2.4L chrysler engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wicked93GS

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 26, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee
I own a 98 neon myself(currently working on a turbo 2.4L) and was just wondering whether anyone had swapped in a 2.4L block with the N/A 420 eclipse head(I know a neon owner who uses the eclipse head just for the convienence of mounting the turbo to the front of the engine) anyway, I was just wondering whether anyone had the 2.4 block, after all the 2.4 bolts right into the neon with the exception of the passenger side motor mount, something for you non turbo owners to think about(more torque anyway, same HP though)next engine rebuild maybe....build a tubo 2.4 like me =)

The problem with using the 2.4L chrysler cylinder head is the intake and exhaust manifold design. The intakes will be on the front with the 2.4L and either slope upward over the valve cover or quite a bit out and away from the cylinder head. Because of the downward sloping hood, the two piece aluminum intake that goes over the v.c. won't fit. The plastic or extremely longer aluminum runners of the other intake more than likely won't have the room between the head and the fans.

On the exhaust side, the driver would have to relocate the cruise vacuum resevior, redesign the exhaust pipe and then deal with the differences in Cam timing. I've compared cam lobes between 2.4L (cloud car) to 2.0L 420A and know that they are not interchangeable because of lobe placement. I have NOT however looked at the legistics as far as simply installing 420A cams in the 2.4L head. I don't know what that would do as far as timing mark placement and piston valve relieve locations. Food for thought.
Doug

actually, yes, it has been done by the1bill & motofool from this site and a couple others from the 2gnt site. they say it creates 22% more displacement but is a pain in the a$$. a few issues are: hood clearance, the 2.4 is an inch taller than the 2.0 and the valve cover hits the hood. the pass motor mount must be custom. the injectors must be rewired. the cam timing has to be corrected on the crank, and the oil pan must be molested to fit the exhaust piping under it. i know you can get the pistons from the srt4 and a set of eagle rods and be set for boost. i am waiting for some specs on the pass mount cuz i have a connect that will make some for us. i have also heard motofool is considering producing a kit for the swap but i don't know how far that is coming along. i, myslef am VERY interested in the potential of this and will be attempting it as soon as i get the extra cash. check out the 2gnt site also, they have some writeups on there that will help you alot. if you go ahead with it, keep in touch with me. i should be able to get started in a couple months. laterzzz...trust

an update on a dead thread(sorry, dont post on here as much as I used to, I have since finished my 2.4 turbo swap in my 98 neon...as far as the engine swap itself goes...only had to change the passenger side motor mount(a guy on neons.org sells the adapter for $70, nice cnc aluminum piece anodized in the color of your choice, not sure if it will fit a 420a eclipse...would need to see a picture of your passenger side mount) this engine could easily be swapped into an eclipse if you use the 2.4/DOHC 2.0L neon head, true, you would have to use a DOHC 2.0L neon intake manifold and throttle body to fit in the space between the head and radiator fans and yor exhasut manifold would be relocated to the back of the engine(again you could use the neon/2.4 exhaust manifold or the turbo hahn manifold) but this would make exhaust routing simple, as well as intake routing, there is a difference between the 2003+ 2.4 heads though, IE SRT4, PT cruiser that would make you have to use a PT cruiser exhaust manifold for NA applications(not getting into headers here, though they may fit) of the SRT4 manifold/turbo assembly(or aftermarket equivalent) if going turbo, the intake manifold would HAVE to be an SRT4 unit though since the PT crusiers and stratus manifold will just not fit, pre 2002 heads would be best off using a DOHC neon intake and exhaust, or the hahn manifold for turbo applications, as far as the 2.4 vs the stock 2.0...the difference in torque when I swapped it in NA(even before turbocharging and at 8.5:1 compression) was night and day, after turbocharging the engine just screams and with just 6lbs of boost I am already in the 14s....not too shabby really, a good upgrade if anyone cares

wicked93GS said:
an update on a dead thread(sorry, dont post on here as much as I used to, I have since finished my 2.4 turbo swap in my 98 neon...as far as the engine swap itself goes...only had to change the passenger side motor mount(a guy on neons.org sells the adapter for $70, nice cnc aluminum piece anodized in the color of your choice, not sure if it will fit a 420a eclipse...would need to see a picture of your passenger side mount) this engine could easily be swapped into an eclipse if you use the 2.4/DOHC 2.0L neon head, true, you would have to use a DOHC 2.0L neon intake manifold and throttle body to fit in the space between the head and radiator fans and yor exhasut manifold would be relocated to the back of the engine(again you could use the neon/2.4 exhaust manifold or the turbo hahn manifold) but this would make exhaust routing simple, as well as intake routing, there is a difference between the 2003+ 2.4 heads though, IE SRT4, PT cruiser that would make you have to use a PT cruiser exhaust manifold for NA applications(not getting into headers here, though they may fit) of the SRT4 manifold/turbo assembly(or aftermarket equivalent) if going turbo, the intake manifold would HAVE to be an SRT4 unit though since the PT crusiers and stratus manifold will just not fit, pre 2002 heads would be best off using a DOHC neon intake and exhaust, or the hahn manifold for turbo applications, as far as the 2.4 vs the stock 2.0...the difference in torque when I swapped it in NA(even before turbocharging and at 8.5:1 compression) was night and day, after turbocharging the engine just screams and with just 6lbs of boost I am already in the 14s....not too shabby really, a good upgrade if anyone cares

well thanks for the info, but our head is swappable on the 2.4L block. from the looks of it, the swaps are totally different for you. we have to drill a new hole in the passanger motor mount, rewire the plugs and injectors, and move the cam sensor. but our heads match up, and are used to give the big top end power.

actually the neon DOHC/2.4L heads flow better than the 420a, which is what makes the difference(along with slightly better cam) in the eclipse 140HP rating and the DOHC neon 150hp rating, rewiring the plugs and injectors consists of swapping them all over one cylinder and swapping the coil leads, the cam sensor stays the same...I just wouldnt want to have to deal with running the exhaust under the engine(thats where I run my IC piping) if I every get an RS or a GS though I'll swap and see

wicked93GS said:
actually the neon DOHC/2.4L heads flow better than the 420a, which is what makes the difference(along with slightly better cam) in the eclipse 140HP rating and the DOHC neon 150hp rating, rewiring the plugs and injectors consists of swapping them all over one cylinder and swapping the coil leads, the cam sensor stays the same...I just wouldnt want to have to deal with running the exhaust under the engine(thats where I run my IC piping) if I every get an RS or a GS though I'll swap and see

well i think i would rather have an eclipse head. for one thing its just easier to work on the turbo with it up front. plus its BAM right in your face when you open the hood. plus the neon already has the engine bay set up for the exhaust in the rear and intake in the front while the eclipse is set up for the other way.

actually I dont find it hard to work on the turbo at all, and I also like the fact my turbo is hidden away in back, my engine looks almost stock except for the fact is says 2.4, as far as the exhaust setup, you would actually lose some weight by routing it like the neon has it, as well as have cooler oil in your oil pan, the only possible problem is hood clearance for the intake manifold, now just to swap to the SOHC hood and bumper and paint my I/C black(or have it anodized black)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back