The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2.4l 4g64 block & 4g63T head

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xharlequinx

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
burlingame, California
I know that doing this swap is critical if u want to make over 8psi at WOT. But I was wondering if it's critical to get 162mm pistons and rods from slowboy racing if I I'm trying to just make 16psi on a big 16g. Would I be able to push 16psi safely on stock internals but w myb balance shaft removals and good tuning?

You can push a lot more than that on stock internals with all the necessary fuel and tuning. But what do you mean about doing this swap to push more than 8 psi? On the 91 tsi in your sig? Stock boost is higher than 8psi, my friend.

I am confused by this post, you have a 2.4 in your 1g? If so, just swap the head and you're fine as long as you have correct supporting mods.

sorry I didn't clarify... I meant that I have a 92 mighty max that I'm doing this to.
stock they come with a 2.4l 4g64 sohc. I was going to put the 2.0 4g63t head on it. According to reliable sources the stock sohc 4g64 can only push 8psi safely. I wanted to know if I put the dohc head from the 46g3 on the 2.4l block, how much power could I push w simply better pistons?

I believe the issue here is that you would be running higher compression pistons. With high compression you can not really safely run high boost. You can, but the margin for error is greatly reduced and knock happens "more easily" with higher compression. So you aren't really looking for better pistons per se, but you do want to change them with ones that would give you lower compression. This would allow you to run higher boost and makes tunning easier.

For the record you can run 10 psi all day long on the stock 4g64 block with the stock pistons and not have to worry about breaking them. This is assuming your car is tuned right.

Also you can NOT use 1g pistons in the 4g64 block...they will not work. You can use 4g63t rods in a 4g64 block but don't try to use the pistons.

All the big names make aftermarket pistons for the 4g64 so have a look at what they have to offer if you plan to run 15+ psi.

With the DOHC head and the stock 9:5:1 compression pistons at 10 psi you can make just under 300 whp and 250ish ft/lbs with the right supporting mods.

With the SOHC head look for about 230 whp and 260ish ft/lbs at 10 psi

Remember ever setup is different and this is just from dynos I have seen, I haven't had my spyder gs dynoed yet but I am hoping for around 250 ft/lbs of torque to the ground with the SOHC head, stock 4g64, b16g, front mount IC, GST ECU swap and SAFC

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back