The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

2.4 frankenstein 420A shortblock?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'll deffiently keep that in mind, send me a pm with a little more info if you don't mind, I'm still in the planing stage, if I do this I'll start around summer time cause there's going to be a lot of planning involved

will do. And im glad to see your planning. Its the foundation for a successful build. Fail to plan, plan to fail.

Is the PT cruiser 2.4 Turbo motor the same as the srt 2.4 and will a cruiser 2.4 T bolt into our cars.I just found one that was wrecked.BTW my turbo is a T3/T4 compressor .57 trim

They are very close.

Now. They wont bolt in. Youll need to move motor mounts and do a complete wire harness swap. More work then its worth. Not to mention.. turbo would be against fire wall. Ick.

Last edited:
They are very close.

Now. They wont bolt in. Youl need to move notor mounts and do a complete waite harness swap. More work then its worth. Not to mention.. turbo would be against fire wall. Ick.

What he said. And before u ask no Im not done, I haven't touched the car in 6 to 8 months. I haven't given up just living life.

how is it easier manitain??? looks harder to reach.. and also give a space constrint if you ever want to upgrade to a larger turbo. IC piping.. another headache..Idk. i think the SRT team was sleeping when they put it back there.

the short exhaust length is kind of moot, as you can run larger or pipe it to the side as some already do.

Your block does have some small advantages over a EDZ block, but other then that its all pretty much the same.

Dont get me wrong, i like the uniquenes, its just i think there are better paths to go. but all depends on goal ect.

side note: whats left to do on it? i though you were runnin?

Look at the pick u can clearly see the turbo. To remove it u don't to dig down to it. Their is more space in the back of the engine bay than the front since it don't have to compete with other components like cooling,starter and more . I could run a bigger turbo with the cast manifold or or make a custom manifold. And as far as running no way not yet. This is not just a transplant of engine and trans but also a rebuild of the whole car from mechanical upgrades to body paint and interior.

Their is roughly 3 more inches of space in the back of the engine bay compared to the neon. The tight area is the front suspension crossmember in the eclipse, it isn't as compact as the neon.Im going with a turbo eclipse crossmember because it is cut out more for a propshaft and going to use that area to run the exhaust. The front clearances is simulate to a neon with a half inch more room. So in other words the eclipse has a deeper engine bay than neon.

interesting. I rock the avenger, so i have more space overall. Rock on. GL on the build!

if theres 3 more inches of space behind the eclipses engine then there is no reason u cant fit a huge turbo back there heres a neon......

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

mike

if theres 3 more inches of space behind the eclipses engine then there is no reason u cant fit a huge turbo back there heres a neon......

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

mike

Wow that is huge compared to my tiny factory turbo! Oh well maybe after get done with the car then i can think about seriou:thumb:s upgrades !

Wouldn't the Turbo being in the back cause less room for it to breath making the temperature at which it operates much higher than in the front where there is airflow?

Wouldn't the Turbo being in the back cause less room for it to breath making the temperature at which it operates much higher than in the front where there is airflow?

hence the reason for an intercooler sir.

mike

either way.. imo , in the back is less efficent..

good thing its an opinion.....care to explain why its less efficient???

heres my opinion....

the only difference is hot side boost pipe is going to be longer...... if u really want to get technical though........ i think in the back would be more efficient with no air running across the turbo manifold to help cool it, it will keep the hot exhaust gasses just slightly hotter which will keep the pressure up in the manifold which turbos like for spool and flow. remember though this is to the smallest scale we are talking here, but none the less a scale LOL

mike

Sure. With the turbo on the back side, there is simply more heat. Good for spool, sure but now, you have to run the intake out and away some distance to get cool air. Assuming both setups have an intercooler (why wouldn't they) , the air your pushing into the system would be warmer than if the turbo were mounted up front, and sourcing air from a cooler spot. Granted both will have warm air, and they will both be cooled down via the IC, I think though that since your introducing already warmer air when turbo is mounted back there, that over all , the induction air reaching the motor will be warmer than if the induction air started off cooler, Ie from a front mounted setup. How much cooler? I'm not sure. But it would be hard to argue that they would be the same temp. I think it would allow the system to work more efficiently. I don't see above 10-15 degree increase above ambient in my intake temps. What are the SRT4s seeing as in increase in intake temps? Not to mention, I have a slight heat soak issues with my sensor, that's located in the "out/to the motor" side of the IC piping.

seems like a balance, what can be over come with most benifit. Back, hotter air over all but faster spool, or from, cooler air but slower spool. Hard to derive what that would actually mean since both sides kind of negate eachother.. but i think with the front side, if turbo spool is an issue, it can always get a beanie, or a shield.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure. With the turbo on the back side, there is simply more heat. Good for spool, sure but now, you have to run the intake out and away some distance to get cool air. Assuming both setups have an intercooler (why wouldn’t they) , the air your pushing into the system would be warmer than if the turbo were mounted up front, and sourcing air from a cooler spot. Granted both will have warm air, and they will both be cooled down via the IC, I think though that since your introducing already warmer air when turbo is mounted back there, that over all , the induction air reaching the motor will be warmer than if the induction air started off cooler, Ie from a front mounted setup. How much cooler? I’m not sure. But it would be hard to argue that they would be the same temp. I think it would allow the system to work more efficiently. I don’t see above 10-15 degree increase above ambient in my intake temps. What are the SRT4s seeing as in increase in intake temps? Not to mention, I have a slight heat soak issues with my sensor, that’s located in the “out/to the motor” side of the IC piping.

seems like a balance, what can be over come with most benifit. Back, hotter air over all but faster spool, or from, cooler air but slower spool. Hard to derive what that would actually mean since both sides kind of negate eachother.. but i think with the front side, if turbo spool is an issue, it can always get a beanie, or a shield.

well technically the boost piping will be close to the same lengthover all, ## lengthening one side and shortning the another when u flop the intake and exhaust ports. so with all that extra piping it has to go through before it hits the front mount u could say its disapating heat through there on its way the FMI and then u have a short trip through the cold side boost pipe that sits in front on the car along with the intake manifold so u have all that air rushing into it also helping to cool it technically. i bet if there was a test done the rear mouted turbo setup would yield cooler intake temps and ultimately more power, even if it is only 10-15 degrees and 3 hp .im not sugggesting everybody do this by any means but i thought i would counter ## theory with mine.

what does everybody else think?

mike

Well if u notice the intake in my profile,granted its stock but it does sit behind the fans and where the incoming air is entering the car. On the stock design 420a or 4g63 with the intake on the back side their is little air flow in the back of the engine bay. Also the hot pipe for the srt runs under the the motor so in esance its getting cooler as it moves foward.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back