The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2.3 stroker cam question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSM_GSX01

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 27, 2011
La Junta, Colorado
yes i am building my 2.3 stroker and am getting ready to order the cams. I am wanting to go with a better then stock cam? I want to know what what other guys have used on there builds? I was thinking of going with a 272 intake and exhaust. But i need help deciding on a brand also. Any info helps. :thumb: thanks

yes i am building my 2.3 stroker and am getting ready to order the cams. I am wanting to go with a better then stock cam? I want to know what what other guys have used on there builds? I was thinking of going with a 272 intake and exhaust. But i need help deciding on a brand also. Any info helps. :thumb: thanks

I really liked how my S2 cams performed last year, nice smooth idle, gobs of low and mid torque - and I managed 9.6 and 145 traps on them.

Ok. And on those cams did you notice a change in gas how much gas was used ? I am just wondering if i get a big cam will it use alot of gas?

Its necessary if you want to realize the potential of your engine. I wouldn't go through the trouble of building a stroker and saddling it with stock cams. Mitsubishi would've put bigger cams in if they had made it a 2.3L from the factory. Not 272 big, but certainly bigger then stock.

272/272 would be the smallest I'd run on a stroker. OR you'd be better off talking to one of the more popular cam builders that may have something designed specifically for a stroker, or get their recommendations. But you just gotta let the whole gas mileage thing go or just stay 2.0.

Stock cams on my 2.3L made me want to punch babies. It was awful. Tons of torque from 3-5k. After 5k it lost so much on top it was a joke. With my K272's its useable power from 3.5- to redline. My Kelford 272's are a little small for my liking too. If I wasn't poor I would like to go to an extra high lift setup.

Once I got good tune I only lost maybe 1mpg at most. I can still get mid to high 20's on the highway.

There are some supporting vendors on this sight that can suggest you a custom ground cam that could get you everything you wanted. If your willing to spend money on the valvetrain you could get a fairly short duration high lift/ramp cam that will net you very good gas mileage and still make more power everywhere in the power band.

Ok thanks i am understanding kinda now. So sense i am building a 2.3 it will take more air and gas then stock right? So i change to bigger cams. 272 will work right?

I say S2's. Duration plays a part but a 2.3 can't rev to the upper Rpm's to more efficiently use that duration like a 2.0. To make up for that fact it needs more flow in the head in a shorter period of time. What a 2.3/2.4 needs is a cam with higher lift. These have been out for 1 month for Evo's....... with awesome results!!!.

GSC Power-Division Evolution 4-8 Stroker R2 Camshafts :: Evolution 4-8 (4G63) Camshafts :: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 4-8 (4G63) :: Mitsubishi :: GSC Power Division: Performance Camshafts, CNC Cylinder Heads, Race, Engines, Parts

They to would be perfect for a DSM with a stroker. Unfortunately there isn't enough current demand in our market to produce the blanks needed to make these cams for a DSM Smh.

Last edited:
I love my HKS 272's. Trapped 128 in the 1/4 on my setup with only 7* of timing though :/. Great all around power IMO.

Thanks for the response. The S2's are like 272 cams right? And sense all the HP is built in low RPM's are 272 cams to big?

Thanks for the response. The S2's are like 272 cams right? And sense all the HP is built in low RPM's are 272 cams to big?
You will be happy with a GSC S2 cam or even the similar FP 4R.

go thru these.

S2 vs HKS 272 on 2.4 Evo
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dyn...t-done-again-hks-272-vs-gsc-s2-30hp-gain.html

S2 vs HKS 264 on a 2.0 DSM.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dyno-talk/390794-hks-264s-vs-gsc-s2s-dsm.html

The higher lift will have a more efficient effect on a stoker and give better results then the Dsm S2 vs HKS 264 dyno. Similar to the evo dyno.

Last edited:
Ok cool. So S2 can they be used with your stock springs or do i need to upgrade anyway? Also the S2 is degreed like a 272 right?

Ok thanks i found the S1 and S2 cams on a site cant remember. It was late last night. Also i was wondering if i have to upgrade my valves if i get bigger cams? i cant find a good answer?

OP, sounds like you need to do more research on how cams function and how each different cam will effect your build(not putting you down, just these questions can be answered easily with a few hours of reading).

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/221200-cam-basics.html

272 274 280, they are all advertised durations. It does not mean the s2 and HKS will perform similarly. HKS 272 and kelford 272 are two different beasts. Its like "stages" people have for clutch set ups, it helps categorize the cams, but I would do research on each cam and see the performance people have made with them, HKS kelford, GSC etc.

You cams will be decided on the displacement and turbo choice of the engine.

Your stock valve train is approaching 18 years old, I would upgrade the springs no matter what cam I was running, even stock ones again. Now depending on what cams, your spring choice will change. Many get away with crower or manley singles with their build. I am running s1 with manley singles, no problem, but if I went any bigger I would go with a beehive design for the aggressive cam.

Plenty of power has been made with stock sized valves. Now with any build of this magnitude, you will be having a bunch of machine work done to the block and head, you could use oversized valves, but that mean new guides and further machine work. Don't forget with oversized valves you need to have the bowl work done, porting, to make the over sized valves worth it.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/410836-bronze-guides-oversized-valves.html

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cylinder-head-short-block/453239-critique-my-head-porting.html

I am working on a 2.3 build right now, and I have my eyes set on S2 from GSC. It depends right now though, 500 for cams is a lot when HKS 272 have proved to work well, not to mention you can get DKS from FFWD for 300 a set of cams with your core, thats hard to beat. That 200 can be used to upgrade those springs.

I say S2's. Duration plays a part but a 2.3 can't rev to the upper Rpm's to more efficiently use that duration like a 2.0. To make up for that fact it needs more flow in the head in a shorter period of time. What a 2.3/2.4 needs is a cam with higher lift. These have been out for 1 month for Evo's....... with awesome results!!!.

GSC Power-Division Evolution 4-8 Stroker R2 Camshafts :: Evolution 4-8 (4G63) Camshafts :: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 4-8 (4G63) :: Mitsubishi :: GSC Power Division: Performance Camshafts, CNC Cylinder Heads, Race, Engines, Parts

They to would be perfect for a DSM with a stroker. Unfortunately there isn't enough current demand in our market to produce the blanks needed to make these cams for a DSM Smh.

I would love to see these for the DSM market. I wonder if they will make it over.
Maybe we can adapt them to work for us:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/new...ams-dsm-merged-5-9-8-cam-8.html#post153201216

OP, sounds like you need to do more research on how cams function and how each different cam will effect your build(not putting you down, just these questions can be answered easily with a few hours of reading).

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/221200-cam-basics.html

272 274 280, they are all advertised durations. It does not mean the s2 and HKS will perform similarly. HKS 272 and kelford 272 are two different beasts. Its like "stages" people have for clutch set ups, it helps categorize the cams, but I would do research on each cam and see the performance people have made with them, HKS kelford, GSC etc.

You cams will be decided on the displacement and turbo choice of the engine.

Your stock valve train is approaching 18 years old, I would upgrade the springs no matter what cam I was running, even stock ones again. Now depending on what cams, your spring choice will change. Many get away with crower or manley singles with their build. I am running s1 with manley singles, no problem, but if I went any bigger I would go with a beehive design for the aggressive cam.

Plenty of power has been made with stock sized valves. Now with any build of this magnitude, you will be having a bunch of machine work done to the block and head, you could use oversized valves, but that mean new guides and further machine work. Don't forget with oversized valves you need to have the bowl work done, porting, to make the over sized valves worth it.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/410836-bronze-guides-oversized-valves.html

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cylinder-head-short-block/453239-critique-my-head-porting.html

I am working on a 2.3 build right now, and I have my eyes set on S2 from GSC. It depends right now though, 500 for cams is a lot when HKS 272 have proved to work well, not to mention you can get DKS from FFWD for 300 a set of cams with your core, thats hard to beat. That 200 can be used to upgrade those springs.

I would love to see these for the DSM market. I wonder if they will make it over.
Maybe we can adapt them to work for us:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/new...ams-dsm-merged-5-9-8-cam-8.html#post153201216
Those cams are bad ass for a stroker but I HIGHLY DOUBT they will make them for a DSM. Supply and demand ya know. Another factor is the price range a person wants to stay in. FFWD is a great option.

I ran a 2.4 on BC280's & loved it. no complaints, if you are going with Kelfords I would go with 272's & be done with it.

With WOT I was getting 1.20 MPG during cruising I was averaging around 27-28

Ok I understand cams more now and I think i am going with S2's. The only thing is i need to find out what springs i need now? And anything else i will need. Thanks.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back