The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2GNT 2.0 NT to AWD turbo swap question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrLubeTuner

Probationary Member
Feb 3, 2011
hamilton, ON_Canada
Ok i went to pick up some parts for my talon from a guy that is parting out one of his talons. He is going to be getting rid of his awd turbo and transmission. He is willing to give me the engine, transmission, rear differential, drive shaft etc for 600 dollars. im more then likely going to take it but im just wondering is there anything else i would need from the vehicle so that it works when i swap it all in. for example any specific wiring etc.

Just to let you know you're not going to be able to do the swap without basically tearing the entire car apart and radically modifying stuff.

Edit: talonesi basically told you the same thing

In all honesty doing this swap is not worth the money or the headache. Yuo are better off buying that and finding an awd shell to put it in. Just my 2cents

hmmmm couple things on there you mentioned i would never have guessed like the gas tank. im not to worried about the work i got many people willing to help me with the work. you mentioned the ecu what about the tcu

didnt expect so many replied so quickly LOL, ok so what are the major differences between the 2 shells that pose issues

Where the motor mounts go for starters, i dont believe the FWD n/t shells have room for the rear diff or axles suspension parts are a little different in some areas trans mounts are different, hell the motor is in the opposite direction LOL

Most definitely when the NT motor and tranny are mounted completely different in the chassis, and the chassis was constructed for the NT than the turbo setup.

Buy the stuff then sell it off to really get ahead.

yes i noticed it was reversed hahaha im just wondering how much it would be to purchase a shell to fit this in now

i say go for it! my 1g n/a is almost awd!

^^^^^Making a 1G N/A Turbo and AWD is a whole Different ball game from making a 2G N/A Turbo AWD. It will be alot of work but anything is possible with money and time.

Why would you want to do this in the first place, other than bragging rights? You'll end up spending way more than what you would if you just bought an AWD car, and you'll practically HAVE to buy an AWD car just for all the donar parts you'd need.

i really appreciate all the feed back guys :D. does anyone know of someone on the forums who has taken a 2g na and converted it to awd. maybe i get insight as to what steps he or she took to starting and completing this conversion.

well the reason why i can do this is cause i can afford to do things bit buy bit over time, i cant afford to pay for a fully running awd, i have other responsibilities at the moment that hinder me from doing so. the other situation is that i havent found a single awd being sold within a 2-3 hour distance.

Well I've taken a Dodge Avenger and converted it to awd, dude let me tell you it's not worth the time, I'm 4 years and $13k into the project and I've driven the car a total of 3 miles. it can be done, you just need to rewire the car front to back with the turbo wiring harness weld up 2 possibly 3 motor mounts, rework the frame rail a bit. I used the awd rear and front subframes and used the awd conversion how to for the back. I have a damn sexy car now but if I could have done it over I'd just have bought a gsx and saved myself 4 years worth of headaches. These cars are not getting any younger and unless you got a great budget a shed full of tools and and lots of free time it's not worth it. Although if you want more info on all the work I had to do feel free to pm me.

hmmm well then would everyone suggest buying this engine and everything from that guy and finding a shell

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back