The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1gb Talon rear bumper removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Here's how to remove the rear bumper on your 1992-1994 Talon. Please note, 90-94 Laser and Eclipse, as well as 90-91 Talon bumpers are VERY similiar to remove. This guide should help with all rear bumpers, however is specifically for the 1gb Talon.

Im going to link these pics from a free hosting site, so hopefully it will work.

Tools you will need -
3/8 Rachet
3/8 Extension (i used a 6")
10mm socket
Phillips screw driver
PB Blaster

First, follow my article on removing the 1gb Talon tail lights. This needs to be done first to get the rear bumper off.

Once the lights are off, remove the 3 sets of 3 bolts through the brackets that were hidden by the lights before as seen below. I suggest spraying them with blaster first, I broke 2 of the bolts off but didn't use any blaster.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

After those three sets are removed, its time to climb under the car. You should be able to get in to do this without jacking up the car, but whatever is easier for you, do it that way. There are 5 bolts along the bottom of the bumper, all 10mm. I would suggest spraying them with some blaster before trying to remove them, even then they may still break. The bolts are shown in the picture below. I couldn't get a picture of all of them, but you get the idea.

Now you can get off your back, but the work doesn't get any easier. Next we will move to the rear wheel wells. Here you see there are 2 plastic screws and a 10mm bolt holding the plastic wheel well cover to the bumper. Both sides are the same.

Once youhave the bolt and 2 screws out, bend the peice of plastic out of your way. You can remove it completely but I just bent it out of the way to save time, and it worked for me.
The next 10mm bolt is a little tough to get to, and tougher to explain its location. In the picture it is BEHIND the white tab you see. It is bolted up into the metal of the car. I used the rachet with 6 inch extension here to get at it.

Once your done here, move into the hatch area. There are 2 bolts, one facing down and one facing back on each side. The picture shows the driver side, behind the antana area. The passenger side is the same way. Take out the 2 10mm bolts on each side, but be careful, these are pretty much the last things holding your bumper on.

After they are removed, there is one last thing to do. You can do it 2 ways.
1. Reach up under the bumper and disconnect the 2 rear side markers
OR
2. Take out the 2 screws on each red side marker, then un hook the bulb from the lense, as shown below

You now have everything unhooked. Carefully remove the cover from the car. Wasn't that bad was it?

This is how I removed the bumper. You don't have to do it in this exact order, basically you can do it anyway you want, but these are the steps to do it. Good luck, and if you have any questions, PM me.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back