The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G 1Gb LED Headlight Conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So, while I had the headlights out of my 92 Talon for the FMIC install, I had decided to do an LED bulb conversion. No site really listed bulbs that would work and it took a little bit of customization to get them to fit, but it wasn't hard. Follow along and I will try to make it simple.
LED bulbs for a 1gb are 9005 and 9006 LED bulbs for the headlights and 880 LED bulbs for our fog lights. The fog light replacement is simple, just remove and replace with the LED bulbs. Our original headlight bulbs used halogen, I believe, that uses a metal strap to hold them into our housings. I had to remove the metal straps completely so the new LED's would seat (they have an oring on them to seal out moisture). After removing the strap, you need to see which of the 3 possible ways to twist in the new bulbs, that make the LED's face straight up and down vertically. This way the LED's use the most part of the reflectors in our housings. After figuring out which way to install them to make them vertical, you have to figure out how to get the ballasts to fit into the housings so you can put the covers back on the back of the housings.
That was the hardest thing to do, was fit that box into the housing, behind the lenses. It can be done, but you will see I had to trim the hold downs on the connectors for the headlights for them to fit. There is another reason to trim the snap off of the original connector, one of our bulbs has to have the connector turned 180* around in order for the LED's to come on as LED's are polarized. They will only work in one direction. If they don't come on, you turn the connector over and plug it in upside down.
To hold the new bulbs in, you will see I used Grey Silicone and let them sit over night to be sure they were attached good and wouldn't fall out. The next day, they were solid as a rock, but since it is silicone, if you ever need to replace them, you can just peel the old off and put new on.
See my pictures and if you have any questions, fire away. Last night, I got to try them on the road for the first time, and boy, you can see EVEYTHING for miles, LOL. I love them, you will too. I got my bulbs from Amazon and they were under $50 for all 4.
If you would like to see how I got my headlight lenses so nice and pretty, see this article --->https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/headlight-lens-restoration.524974/
Marty
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This is the connector modification that I had to do:

Lights ON!!!

Attachments

• 1220190825_105707_resized.jpg
    1220190825_105707_resized.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 164
  • 1320190825_111429.jpg
    1320190825_111429.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 1420190825_111444.jpg
    1420190825_111444.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 153
  • Blue plugs in backwards 92 Talon LEDs_resized.jpg
    Blue plugs in backwards 92 Talon LEDs_resized.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
This looks totally awesome and I think I may do this with my 92 while I have a set of extra headlights!

You mentioned the LEDs can only work in one direction, so were you hooking this up loosely to your car to test before siliconing in place?

Yes because when I plugged them in, one set didn't work, and LEDs are polarized and only work in one direction. East fix AND NOW, they make fanless lights, I think, so I would use them, like in my Chevy Truck.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back