The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Resolved 1gb FWD Laser, how many engine mounts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4gfun

Supporting VIP
Dec 10, 2007
Ask Me, Virginia
I got burnt on my Laser which has a bad engine and manual trans. I wanted to work on the trans before I worked on the engine so I pulled the trans and set it aside. For reasons beyond the scope of this post, I don't want to put the trans back in yet.

I'd like to pull the head while the trans is out, but from my below writeup I have to pull the driver's side engine mount.

The passenger mount is out already and so is the front mount. I am guessing that the engine will end up on the ground if I pull the passenger mount while pulling the head assuming it's the last mount?

If so, any workaround?

Thanks.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/writeup-on-removing-1g-cylinder-head.477456/

1Gs have three mounts attaching to the engine block and one to the transmission. The engine won't fall to the floor but it may become unstable and tilt toward the frame rail on the driver side. Work-around: use a block of wood on a jack underneath the engine to keep it in place as you remove the driver side mount.

Thank you. Where is that 3rd (non-trans) engine mount? Want to be sure that I didn't remove that one as well and end up with a surprise. I know of the one on the front towards the radiator and one above the timing belt?

I guess my trans jack should be fine for this task with a block of wood? Kinda concerned about the oil pan getting crushed.

Firewall side of the block, underneath the intake manifold. Three mounts on the engine in the shown locations.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Oil pan will be fine with a sizeable enough block of wood so long as you aren't dropping the engine on it. As a support as you remove the engine mount, no problem.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back