The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G 1ga talon tsi manual swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vetexr

Probationary Member
Jul 29, 2017
Reykjavik, Europe
I bought a 91’ talon tsi awd auto and was told it had been swapped to fwd manual, but when i looked at the car i saw a rear diff and axles under the car and the previous owner gave me a 2g awd manual gearbox and a 1g drive shaft with it, the 2g gearbox fits but since the car was origanally Auto i don’t think the gear ratio matches with the rear diff, im located in iceland where there isn’t a lot of parts available, i was wondering if i could just swap gears in either the front diff or rear diff so they match, i really want to use the original diff since its a lsd. And would also want to know what tcase i would need with this combo. Thanks in advance

You need a 91-94 5 speed and 91-94 transfer case. Keep the driveshaft and sell the 2g stuff for funds. You need a 5 speed rear dif and axles for the correct ratios. I have a spare but would need to check it to make sure its LSD. Maybe a swap? They are kinda bulky to ship but I got mine mailed in to me.

You need a 91-94 5 speed and 91-94 transfer case. Keep the driveshaft and sell the 2g stuff for funds. You need a 5 speed rear dif and axles for the correct ratios. I have a spare but would need to check it to make sure its LSD. Maybe a swap? They are kinda bulky to ship but I got mine mailed in to me.
From iceland??!!

Can i not just use the 2g 5 speed and a 2g tcase with the driveshaft and find a 5 speed rear dif, it would be a lot easier than finding another tranny aswell

Yes you can use a 2g trans. You need to be aware 91 to 96 use the same gear final drive gear ratios so any will work. Technically any 91 to 99 tease will work but 97 to 99 trans and tcases have different ratios so if you have a 97 -99 trans you must use those years tease UNLESS you open the trans and change the final drive. Physically stuff can bolt up but if you mix and max ratios you will break stuff inside the trans in short order. Clear as mud? 😁

One last thing, a 2g trans will work but also be aware the bellhousings aren't 100% identical. If memory serves there will be one bolt up front unused. It is doable. 2gs also have a counterweight on the shifter. This can get in the way of custom ic pipes if you didn't have a weight previously ( did not account for it on a custom install)

One last thing, a 2g trans will work but also be aware the bellhousings aren't 100% identical. If memory serves there will be one bolt up front unused. It is doable. 2gs also have a counterweight on the shifter. This can get in the way of custom ic pipes if you didn't have a weight previously ( did not account for it on a custom install)
Alrighty but, do you know if i can buy new 5 speed rear dif internals and put them inside the auto rear dif? Then i would only need to buy a tcase and the internals, i believe the tranny to be a 95 or 96.

That I don't know. Somebody else will have to chine in. I seem to remember it being the whole diff, not just the gear. Maybe it was just easier to swap. You need to make sure what trans it is so you can get the correct tcase.

From iceland??!!
Nope, not iceland Paul. OMG
But Millers.

I am totally not sure on this but the rear gear ring and pinion "should" be a swap, gear and pinion and correct pinion depth and backlash. I just changed ratios in my sons car and that was what we did. Granted, it is an American RWD car but still the same stuff.
That is the norm but we are far from the norm here for sure.

I am totally not sure on this but the rear gear ring and pinion "should" be a swap, gear and pinion and correct pinion depth and backlash. I just changed ratios in my sons car and that was what we did. Granted, it is an American RWD car but still the same stuff.
That is the norm but we are far from the norm here for sure.
Alrighty, one other thing do you know if a rear dif from a lancer works in a 1g?

Sorry, I haven't been around the Evo/Lancer platform so I can't say. It is all dependent on the ratio of the dif. It just needs to match the front dif ratio.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back